Author Topic: So far so good  (Read 9704 times)

mk

Re: So far so good
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:00 am »
My taste was also totally off for a few weeks post-op. Even water tasted weird. Recently though things have improved and I no longer have the weird taste. So give it some time.

By the way, I can't help but comment on the speed of your recovery. We normally say here that the 3 days post-surgery don't count, yet you were back home on day 2? This is simply amazing. I don't recall having read anything like this on the forum.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:34 am »
cameragal .....

I would have to agree with the others that being discharged on Day 3 is unusual, but not unheard of.  So glad for this kind of unusualness!

You are most fortunate that you did not have to deal with any of the post-op issues others have.  Apparently your brain had already compensated for any balance issues before surgery and that is a huge plus for a quick recovery.

I had translab surgery 6 weeks ago with a very similar recovery ..... discharged on Day 5 but could easily have gone home on Day 4 ..... walked all over downtown LA on Day 10 following my surgery.

I admire your independence, but please remember to listen to your body and get the rest it needs to heal properly.

As for the taste ..... I had very, very minor facial weakness for a couple of weeks following my surgery and experienced the weird tastes.  Unfortunately it did not last long enough to result in much desired weight loss.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:23 pm »
I haven't researched this yet, but anyone else have taste bud issues?  I have no appetite and nothing tastes good.  Is this permanent or just a short term issue.  I've lost 8lbs which I won't complain about.  Just wondering.

Cameragal ~

I lost my sense of taste prior to my diagnosis and surgery.  It came back within 48 hours of having my AN 'debulked'.  However, some AN patients do have 'taste issues' post-op (and post radiation, too).  It is usually temporary but can last for some time.   Every case is different.  Let's hope yours is temporary.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10:49 pm »
Ah, yes - metallic mouth.

Happens to the best of us.

This too shall pass - but it's hard to say just when that will be.

Hang in there!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cameragal

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 06:13:19 pm »
Yes Clarice, I have spent nearly a year and a half compensating balance issues so that must be the reason I really don't have any more than usual.  I thank the Lord everyday for the way I have been able to continue working and now know that I will still be able to do my job.  I am blessed.

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:29 am »
Hi Cameragal,
My taste is way off as well and appetite not what it was. Like you I have lost about 8lbs and not complaining. I have read taste can be a 6 to 12 month thing. But like they say... everyone is different.
Be well!!
Bill
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:57:08 am by BostonBill »
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

cameragal

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:31:10 pm »
Had a wonderful day today.  It has been one week today already.  Did some laundry without lifting anything heavy, then went out to lunch and a couple downtown shops with my grandson.  Came home and sat around reading for the rest of the day.  No pain pills needed so I hope that is overwith.  I just can't say enough about Dr. Megarian and the work he does.  I strongly encourage any one in Northern or Central Ohio to seek him out and look up his credentials.  He is amazing.

moe

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:17 am »
Wow, another greaatt outcome! Congratulations!
Some days may seem better than others, and as you know your body will let you know if you are overdoing it... I like to mention to posties to go easy on the bending completely over  as this may contribute to post op headaches which are not fun. Just be nice to yourself, light laundry is fine I'm sure :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

vsfunkhouser

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:53 pm »
Well I have to say reading your post is encouraging for those of us who are still awaiting our procedure. One minute I'm calm and the next I am frazzled so this is just another star on the positive side of my score card... THANKS for sharing!  And from everything that I have been told and read... a three day hosptial stay is unique!  As others have said... take it easy and listen to your body!  Hooray for you!   ;D  Victoria

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 12:47:45 am »
Cameragal, 61, really!?  Ok, you really do make me feel better!  I'm 54 (my birthday was your surgery day--good omen for me :) so maybe I'm not so old that my recovery will take forever.

Please keep posting.  Don't sugar-coat any issues you may have--you need the support and we need the reality check--but I really want to hear how you are doing.  I always think I can deal with anything as long as I know what to expect, so now I'm expecting to be cooking supper two days after surgery :D

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 02:28:46 am »
Wow, that is indeed awesome recovery time!! I know we don't to tell you to listen to your body and don't overdo it, but...don't overdo it! :)  I've seen quite a few people here do overdo it and then they're taking 3 steps back.  But wow, you sound like you are gonna be just fine!!  Keep us updated and congrats!! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:14 am »
Cameragal, just caught up with your post, it sounds all so amazing ....your surgery, your hospital stay....everything!  You have done an oustanding job!  I can hear by your posts that you have a very positive attitude and that certainly has made your recovery stellar! I hope it continues to go well and you are an inspiration!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Also forgot to comment on the taste bud thing.  I can taste cold, salt some very strong things that I think I smell first like peanut butter.....just about everything tastes bitter, it is not very good.  I am not sure if I lost weight because I keep trying to eat thinking I want to but hardly finish anything.  I do hope it comes back, I hear it could be permanent.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!

cameragal

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »
Little set back on day 13.  Not feeling well and running a fever 100.8.  Waiting for Dr. to return call.  Boy this is one surgery you don't want to start running a fever

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »
Hopefully it is nothing, had a fever for 2 weeks (highest 101.8) but the Dr. said if it continues call him and they stopped.  I had fevers in the hospital too and they discharged me. Hopefully it is nothing Cameragirl I would hate anything to set you back.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
I think I will make it!