Author Topic: Screw day tomorrow  (Read 3296 times)

valerie_g

Screw day tomorrow
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:52:06 pm »
Hi,

My BAHA surgery is schedule for tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous  ::) for this surgery and I hope to have a good night sleep tonight. My ENT is keeping me overnight at the hospital and I guess it is not normal practice but this is what this ENT does. I choose to have local anesthesia but I still have some doubt about my choice and I can change my mind tomorrow. For the one who got it local...why did you choose local ? I can wait to have my BAHA attach in 3 months and I hope to have a good recovery from the surgery ! The demo was such an amazing help for me. I guess they will tell me how about aftercare of the titanium implant tomorrow. I will for sure ask about washing my hair and dying it. I read that there is no normal practice among ENT about washing and dying hair.   

I book the rest of the week off from the office so I'll be eating lots of chocolate in front of good movies.

Well have a good night everyone !

March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Screw day tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:08 pm »
valerie.... here's sending good wishes..... I know you are going to do great.... hope the chocolate doesn't impact your hips too much... and not sure what movies you will be watching but here's hoping they are terrific chick-flicks!

good luck tomorrow!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tenai98

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »
Hey Val
Ya Schramm keeps one overnight...but they boot you out by like 630 the next morning...i went general but did have the choice of a local...I was so wired after surgery that I didnt sleep at all that first night.   Anyhow, let us know how it all went for you.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Joann
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:00 pm »
Valerie .....

You will do fine.  I opted to have the abutment implanted at the same time as my second surgery for tumor removal, therefore it was done under general anesthesia, and I was in the hospital for four days afterward because of the translab surgery recovery time required.

I can honestly say neither the translab incision nor the abutment implant have given me any unmanageable pain.  I did have Dilaudid IV for the first 24 hours, a couple of oral  Dilaudid the second 24 hours, only Tylenol thereafter.  I would have to say most of that was needed because of the translab surgery, not from the abutment surgery.

My instructions were to wait until the doctor removed the stitches from the incision and the bandage from the abutment (8 days post-op) before washing my hair.  Then, no restrictions from there on ...... just wash hair with my normal shampoo and keep it clean on a daily basis.  I have had no issues with healing whatsoever.  It is still a tiny bit tender when I touch around it at a month post-op.  Counting the next 60 days until my "turn on" date!

Best wishes and many prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »
I had my BAHA implant with local (no sedation).  Piece of cake; can't figure out why an overnight stay would be required.

I chose local because it was an option my doc offered and when I asked how many of his patients had their implants w/local I was told between 90 and 95%.  I figured if they all could do it, so could I.

My doc compared a BAHA implant w/local to a trip to the dentist to have a cavity filled - and he was absolutely right. 

I really liked the local although it was kind of a surreal experience; heard the noise of the drill and felt some pressure, but no pain whatsoever.  It was almost like it was happening to someone else in the room.  My doc and I talked and joked through most of the surgery; the rest of the time I talked to a very nice nurse seated next to my head. 

One of the advantages of having local was not having to "come out of anesthesia".  I hate that foggy feeling and at times have had some not so good experiences with being "put under".  With the local, I didn't have to cope with that.  After the procedure, I spent a few minutes in recovery - long enough to have some cookies and juice - and then I was able to walk out of the hospital.  They wouldn't let me drive myself home, though.  Hospital rule.

Docs have different protocols; I'm sure whatever your doc's is, you'll be fine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

valerie_g

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:19:30 am »
Hi,

It is all done. I went with local and it was just fine for me. Like you said Jan..piece of cake! I could hear and feel everything and it didn't traumatize me at all, I was talking with the anastesist the whole time. The team was excellent, everything went great but my ENT wanted me to stay overnight (same ENT as Joann) witch is weird because here in Canada they don't keep you in the hospital ever (ok I'm a bit exaggerating but it feels like they don't keep you overnight unless it is very serious). I"ll go see him next week and I really need to go back to work...I'm eating to much chocolate and I can tell that movie-couch-chocolate are not good for my hips  :o .

Valérie 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:25:40 am by valerie_g »
March 2009 5 mm X 4 mm
July 2010 6 mm X 5 mm
March 2011 7mm X 6mm Cyberknife radiosurgery Ottawa General Hospital
June 2011 BAHA surgery Ottawa Civic Hospital

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:48:44 am »
Val
Glad to hear all went well...Now try to pass the wait time away until its turn 'on' day....You're going to love it...
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:07:16 am »
Yeah, Valerie!

Glad things went well.

As Jo said, you're going to LOVE your BAHA  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways