Author Topic: new hearing aid user question  (Read 3229 times)

mattsmum

new hearing aid user question
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:43 am »
hi - i have a moderate mid frequency and profound high frequency loss, and have just got a hearing aid 2/7 ago. i am in UK - it is an NHS nathos micro by phonak.
i have been told it will take 2/12 or so to get used to it - but does this mean i will get to hear more over that time, or will it just get less 'tinny'?
at present i can certainly hear in stereo for some sounds, but i still can't understand speech on that side (which is what i am hoping can be improved).
any help welcomed,

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: new hearing aid user question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:43:23 am »
vikki

I have hearing aids for each ear.  My doctor explained that they just amplify the sound they cannot clarify sound.  As far as getting use to them you do have to start with wearing them a little at the time.  As time goes on you build the hours you are using them.

TJ

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
Vikki:

My hearing is at 20% for word recognition, which is pretty useless for converstions. Before I got my hearing aid, my doc told me that it would only amplify & distort noise & not help me with conversations. She was right.

If your hearing aid was going to help with conversations, you would have noticed it right when you first tested it or after it was adjusted for your hearing needs.

Though my hearing aid doesn't help me with conversations, I decided to keep it because it helps with directionality when I'm out & about. My Resound Zigga has 2 settings. One for indoor/conversations, the other is the outdoor setting. I don't use the indoor setting. That one just creates alot of noise. I keep it in the outdoor setting for directionality & it helps soothe my tinnitus.

Hope this helps.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:58 am »
thanks tj and syl for the quick replies!

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)