Author Topic: Please explain Tinnitus with SSD???  (Read 4995 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Please explain Tinnitus with SSD???
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:39:01 pm »
This still baffles me how much tinnitus, ringing I hear on my deaf side.   I know I read something about it here once, but can't find it.   I have had multiple people comment to me "how can you hear all that ringing in your ear if you are completely deaf on that side because of the nerve??"   I still don't really understand it or how to PROPERLY explain it. 

Any known answers will be greatfully appreciated  :)

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Please explain Tinnitus with SSD???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »
I don't suffer from tinnitus, so I'm far from an expert.

However, tinnitus isn't really a ringing in the ears as far as I know.

Tinnitus is caused by the brain; it's all in your head   :)

So whether you are SSD or not isn't really relevant.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:00:29 pm »
Denise ~

The short answer to your question is; it's compliacated.  However, this except from Wikipedia may help explain tinnitus.  Warning, it's clinical and turgid.    Jim

Pathophysiology

One of the possible mechanisms relies on otoacoustic emissions. The inner ear contains thousands of minute hairs, called stereocilia, which vibrate in response to sound waves, and cells which convert neural signals back into acoustical vibrations. The sensing cells are connected with the vibratory cells through a neural feedback loop, whose gain is regulated by the brain. This loop is normally adjusted just below onset of self-oscillation, which gives the ear spectacular sensitivity and selectivity. If something changes, it is easy for the delicate adjustment to cross the barrier of oscillation, and tinnitus results. Listening to loud music kills hair cells, and studies have shown as hair cells are lost, different neurons are activated, activating auditory parts of the brain and giving the perception of sound.

Another possible mechanism underlying tinnitus is damage to the receptor cells.  Although receptor cells can be regenerated from the adjacent supporting Deiters cells after injury in birds, reptiles, and amphibians, in mammals it is believed they can be produced only during embryogenesis. Although mammalian Deiters cells reproduce and position themselves appropriately for regeneration, they have not been observed to transdifferentiate into receptor cells except in tissue culture experiments.  Therefore, if these hairs become damaged, through prolonged exposure to excessive sound levels, for instance, then deafness to certain frequencies results. In tinnitus, they may relay information that an externally audible sound is present at a certain frequency when it is not.

The mechanisms of subjective tinnitus are often obscure. While it is not surprising that direct trauma to the inner ear can cause tinnitus, other apparent causes (e.g., temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD or TMD) and dental disorders) are difficult to explain. Research has proposed there are two distinct categories of subjective tinnitus: otic tinnitus, caused by disorders of the inner ear or the acoustic nerve, and somatic tinnitus, caused by disorders outside the ear and nerve, but still within the head or neck. It is further hypothesized somatic tinnitus may be due to "central crosstalk" within the brain, as certain head and neck nerves enter the brain near regions known to be involved in hearing.

Studies by researchers at the University of Western Australia suggest tinnitus is caused by increased neural activity in the auditory brainstem where the brain processes sounds, causing some auditory nerve cells to become overexcited. The basis of this theory is most people with tinnitus also have hearing loss,[6] and the frequencies they cannot hear are similar to the subjective frequencies of their tinnitus.  Models of hearing loss and the brain support the idea a homeostatic response of central dorsal cochlear nucleus neurons could result in them being hyperactive in a compensation process to the loss of hearing input.  This, in turn, is related to changes in the genes involved in regulating the activity of those nerve cells. This proposed mechanism suggests possible treatments for the condition, involving the normalization or suppression of overactive neural activity through electrical or chemical means.

While most discussions of tinnitus tend to emphasize physical mechanisms, there is strong evidence the level of an individual's awareness of his or her tinnitus can be stress-related, and so should be addressed by improving the state of the nervous system generally, using gradual, unobtrusive, long-term treatments.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:27:25 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »
I was going to say the exact same thing Jim! :)  But yeah, I had always wondered about that before I came onto this board and all these wonderful people like Jim educated me on such matters!  I was just commenting to my wife today how badly my tinnitus is screaming at me...funny some days I barely notice, other days...wow!  Gotta love it! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

mk

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:14 am »
My neurosurgeon calls tinnitus "ghost sound". He compared it with cases of patients who have a limb amputated, yet still feel like it is still there. As everyone else explained it is all in the brain. There is another thread going on right now, where the example of dreaming was brought up: Eyes are closed, but still you see images.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »
I guess it makes more sense to me if it somehow comes from the brain.  I originally thought it came from the hairs in the cochlea, but then wondered since my acoustic nerve is damaged, why I am SSD, then how could the cochlea send those messages to the brain..

I have to say I am still a bit baffled at it.   

I'll just accept Jans answer:   It's all in my head  ;D

Marianna....I your comparison makes plenty of sense to me!! 
Thanks
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:01:38 pm »
Hi Denise .....

It does not make any sense why the tinnitus is so loud when one has no remaining usable auditory nerve on the AN side.

I never had tinnitus until after my first AN surgery almost 3 1/2 years ago (via retrosigmoid).  I still had 20% of my hearing at that time so I thought it was my brain trying to make up for the 80% loss.  About two years ago I began to realize that I had begun to have tinnitus in my "good" ear with 100% hearing.  Then I was really confused!  A month ago I had my second AN surgery (via translab) on the same side as the first time.  Now I have 0% hearing on the left, 100% hearing on the right ..... and major tinnitus on both sides, although much worse on the left.  Once I completely heal from this surgery I am going to look into neuromonics to see if it will help.

Looking forward to the symposium next week and what the presenters have to say about help for/with tinnitus ...... since it is a serious detraction to my hearing ability.  Also looking forward to my Ponto Pro "turn-on" day in August and hope it may mask the tinnitus!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011