Author Topic: What happens at follow up MRI 3 mos post op  (Read 3390 times)

amymeri

What happens at follow up MRI 3 mos post op
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:07:15 am »
I had my surgery to remove a 4 cm AN in mid April. The surgeons think they go it all.  I have a 3 mos appt and MRI in July.  What will they be looking for?  What can I expect them to see in a normal healing process?  Will they be able to see any inflammation around my facial and trigeminal nerves?
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: What happens at follow up MRI 3 mos post op
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:43:14 am »
   my 3 month checkup was quick .. I did an MRI ..(I laughed when the tech handed me 2 ear plugs .. I hand one back and said I only needed one!)  they look for any re-growth and if there is brain compression, it should return to normal by then .. don't be alarmed if you see some "white" on the MRI as the fat they might of packed in will be white"ish".  I did a bunch of face movements for him (or at least tried) .. and we discussed my issues to date, and for the most part I was going good  ;D

just a note, many Hospitals, dont ask for a 3 month check up, just a 6 month or 12 month, but for the larger tumors its more common ..

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:51:32 am »
My 3 mos check up was to see if my brain stem was moving back into place.  They wanted to check for swelling reduction too.  You'll be fine!  My 9 mos showed a cyst which upset me but I was told this was normal. 

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:17:05 am »
Did you have a MRI while in the hospital immed post op?      If so then would think they would have waited for the 6 month mark to redo the MRI.         If not. then this is the MRI to use for post op comparison for any future regrowth.           
I took some ibuprofen a couple times at around 8 weeks post op and was a little nervous but figured it was far enough out to be ok.             I was never told to avoid it.
   Did you get the personal message I sent some time ago that mentioned the www.bellspalsy.ws site.       Very good section by Jackie Diels the facial therapist in Madison.   
                                               Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 12:34:06 pm »
   I dont remember if I was not told to avoid any meds (I too was givin Tylenol with codeine, and only took it once) .. only to avoid holding in any sneezes! ..just to let it rip !  the added pressure could cause a CSF leak! (I forget how long, I think it was for only a couple months)
   I had a MRI and a CAT scan immed after the op only because I had a stoke .. in fact I don't even remember the CAT scan !, my wife told me they did it...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:38:15 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 12:39:57 pm »
Thanks everyone

Cheryl I did get your note and checked out the site (and I am posting there, too!)  I thought I wrote you back but if I didn't sorry about that, and thanks for the tip!

For some reason, I just started getting spooky about the MRI.  I don't think my brainstem was compressed (at least the NS didn't mention it).  I had a CT immediately post-op (I was still unconscious!) to make sure it all sealed up and most of the space from the AN had already been filled up by my brain moving back into place. 

My family will be out of town that week. so maybe that's why I am nervous?  Would a residual piece even grow back that fast?

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now