Author Topic: Vision problems and AN  (Read 3729 times)

mellowrama

Vision problems and AN
« on: June 22, 2006, 08:00:27 pm »
Hello all,

I'm pre-treatment with an AN.  Today I had a short episode of a blurred distorted vision spot in both eyes.   It was a very distorted view out of both eyes, and was difficult to see for about 30 minutes.  Now that I had it, I recall having it before I was diagnosed a couple of times in the past....Anyone had something like this in connection with an AN?

thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Battyp

Re: Vision problems and AN
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:15:35 pm »
Depending on where your An is located it can press on the optic nerve.  I know right before I was diagnosed my vision became worse, of course they said it was because I turned 40 and needed bifocals.  By monday they were changing their tune  LOL  The eye doctor did say that the AN can cause visual descrepancies but would be interesting to hear other points of view on this!

vjharris

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:49:16 pm »
Mellowrama,
Could it be you are having migraines? I usually get distorted vision (sort of like looking through a broken windshield) for a few minutes before I get a migraine. Sometimes I'll get the vision disturbance and the headache doesn't follow. Funny that the vision thing bothers me alot more than the headache ever does. I've had migraines for years but very sporadically. It was the increasing frequency of the headaches which took me to the Dr. who discovered the AN. The Drs. all say that migraine is unrelated to AN. But I feel it is. Just my 2cents.
vjh
2.2x2.37 right side meningioma or acoustic neuroma
Gamma Knife Dec 5, 2006

mellowrama

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:44:37 pm »
It would be interesting to know more about it pressing on the optic nerve, I havn't heard anything about that.  I normally have 20/20, but have really noticed it seeming blurry (besides the temp. distortion) over the last 6 months. 

I rarely have any sort of headaches!   :)  Lucky me.   This week though, I did get a scarey sinus infection and my md thought that was a no-no with my other head troubles!  ha!
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

tony

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:41:20 am »
I saw your note and hope you are doing fine
Under the circumstances you need to confer with your Doc/neuro today
there are two or three reasons why you might get the symptoms you describe
some are quite harmless - but only a proper med exam will tell
- make sure you speak to him directly, or get a direct meeting
Make it clear that this is a change in symptoms
dont be put off by a receptionist
Let us know how you get on
Best regards
Tony

mellowrama

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 03:08:26 pm »
Hi all,

Just a note FYi that I thought might be good for others to know too.
I saw an opthamalogist and its seems as though my vision problems are not because of the AN putting pressure on my optic nerve.  She thinks my vision problem is "ocular migraines", but from what I've read I still wouldn't be surprised if the culprit is connected to the AN.  She also recommended getting a special peripial vision test to use as a comparision after treatment...

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 03:31:30 pm »
Hey

I have vision problems in my right eye (AN side)  The doctor said its from not tearing in that eye but I don't know. It looks cloudy and blurry when i look out of it, even when i wear my glasses. It gets a little better when i put them on though. Not enough that i can tell.  I didn't have vision problems and wore contacts before i had surgery.
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

amymeri

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 05:27:32 pm »
My 3rd cranial nerve was exposed during surgery and I have had some double vision as well as the dry eye associated with facial nerve paralysis.  I didn't have any problems presurgery, but it is certainly possible because my NS said all those nerves are in the same zip code.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now