Author Topic: Feedback NOT FIXED  (Read 7558 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Feedback NOT FIXED
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:36:15 pm »
I am so frustrated right now I could scream.  My audiologist was in Colorado at Cochlear for a forum with 11 other audiologists from around the country.  Seems like they all had the same complaints and suggestions for improving customer service.  Sometimes their attitude of "well, we've done all we can" is just not enough.  Anyway, they did not give her my BAHA to bring back, they mailed it to me.  My audiologist found out that my BAHA was NOT cracked, and they think the feedback was coming from cranking up the program to give it more power.  They said it might be too much.  So, when I went in to have it programmed, we turned off the feedback manager in two different programs and decreased the low tones.  This is what was recommended.  It sounded great sitting in the audiologist's office.  However, as soon as I got in my car, I had music on, but not loudly.  The feedback started and has been continuous.  She wanted me to turn around and come back, but I didn't have the time.  It's 20 miles each way and I have a busy work schedule.  I'm taking it back next week so she can turn the feedback manager back on.  I'm so frustrated, I want to throw the processor away.  Every time I'm in the car, I have to turn the processor off.  I have continuous whistling.  Wish I could try the Oticon.  I'm sorry the abutment won't work.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Kaybo

Re: Feedback NOT FIXED
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:28:06 pm »
I can't imagine how frustrating that must be! :P I am so sorry!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:01:53 am »
It's frustrating. I have an audiologist appointment on Wednesday for a tuneup then it goes back again. Twice in a month for a cracked case. I think the problem is the screws are over tightened causing a stress fracture. Looking am the crack ion my BAHA it is about two thirds thru the side and there is a slight bow in the case. Cochlear needs to solve this I don't intend to send it back once a month.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:31:36 am »
Keith, you need to call Cochlear directly and ask for a new processor.  They did that for me after mine had gone back so many times.  They will be accommodating in that way.  I understand they are looking at manufacturing with a different kind of plastic material to avoid this problem. Keep us posted.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

moe

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:48:43 am »
Sorry to hear about your BAHA boo hoos as I can them. :'( How frustrating for you, because you are one busy lady!
Hang in there, I thought you were getting a completely new processor, I hope so! As you know, don't give up hope!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:13 am »
Dale,
Sounds you and I have the same problems with the BAHA...Whistles to no end while in the car with the music on low....Mine should arrive this week by mail along with a ponto pro...I'm anxious to see the difference...If I feel that the ponto is better, I"m buying it...Might as well as there is a promotion on now here in Canada
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:29 pm »
Maureen,
I did get a totally new processor.  This is the new one that is giving me problems now.

Jo,
You are lucky your abutment will fit the ponto pro.  Mine will not.  I would have to take out the abutment and let the skin grow over my post, then have a totally new procedure if I wanted the Ponto Pro.  Yuck!  It's just not what I'm up for.  It seems from what I have read on the Forum, there are less problems with the Ponto Pro.  I did demo them both, felt comfortable at the time with the Cochlear, but as it turns out, UCSD can't do the Oticon brand because of contract restrictions.  So, in the end, I had no choice, even though I was leaning toward the Cochlear anyway.  I will be most anxious to hear about your experience.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53:40 pm »
Update:  So, I took my BAHA in today and when the audiologist connected it to her computer, it showed that the feedback manager was still ON!  I had seen for myself that it was off the last time she set it.  Somehow, it de-programmed itself.  So, she turned it back off in program 1 and program 3, which is where I seem to get the most feedback.  That was 6 hours ago, and guess what????  NO FEEDBACK!!!!!  If this holds, I will honestly be relieved and able to say I'm a happy camper!
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:58:54 am »
Just thinking about your feedback problem. When I watch TV, some high pitched sounds cause me some feedback, but I just turn MY volume down on my BAHA. It has never happened to me in the car. Usually I turn off the BAHA in my truck because it picks up the road noise from the tires...no feedback, but it amplifies the noise and it is annoying. The only other time I get feedback is when I touch the BAHA with my hands, my sunglasses, or if I snap it onto the abutment when it is turned on. I will take a wild guess here...my hair is very short, and I changed my glasses so they don,t touch the BAHA. Is it possible that your hair style is causing the feedback by brushing up against the BAHA, or if you wear glasses, maybe they are causing the feedback? My mother used to wear so much hair spray back in the "old days" that her hair never moved...I don't think she ever had  to brush her hair...kind of like helmet head. You hair looks very nice in your picture, not a helmet head, but I'm just throwing out an idea.

James

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:02 am »
Thanks for the suggestion.  The noise it makes if my hair rubs against it is not feedback.  It's just a rustling sound.  Totally different than the high pitched feedback.  I have my fingers crossed now since the adjustment yesterday and will keep everyone posted.
~Dale
Tarzana, CA

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:36:48 am »
I see the audiologist tomorrow and I am having him trun the feedback mamager off on program one and leave it on on program two along with some tweeking for tinny sound. Like James my feedback usually comes from watching tv, but nor as bad as before the first time it went in for repair last month.
8mm x 5mm left side
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA activation 2/1/11

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:18 am »
Just wanted to jump in and mention how your BP100 works.  It actually has some "smarts".

When your processor encounters a strange sound, like a different pitch on a song on your car's radio, it will squeal in response.  This may happen on some songs for months until your processor gets used to the sound and realizes it's normal for your environment.  I know I'm talking like your processor is human, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.

When I first got my BP100 it would beep in response to the beeps that my van makes when I first start it up and forget to put on my seatbelt.  But over time, it came to "view" these beeps as normal and doesn't "respond" anymore.

I still get the occasional beep when listening to songs on my iPod in the car, if it's a song I haven't listened to in a while.

Obviously if these squeals don't stop over time you're got a problem and need to see your audiologist.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:42:01 pm »
Jan, my BAHA is not as smart as yours.  I have had 2 processors over 8 months.  Neither one ever adjusted to regular noises.  They even gave me feedback when there was no noise in a silent room.  This has been pretty frustrating.  With the new program I got yesterday, I am still getting feedback, but it isn't as loud.  It's more subtle, but it's still a drone.  Thanks.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

keithk

• Retrosigmoid Surgery
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
I saw the audiologist today and had the programming tweaked. He increased the default gain for program 1 and adjusted the tone. So far I am very pleased and have it where I thought it should have been back in February. I had him take the settings for program 1 and apply them to program 2. The feedback manager is off on program 1 and on for program 2.

One thing I found usefull when I go in for programming is I wear an ear plug in my good ear. This helps me focus on the BAHA.
8mm x 5mm left side
BAHA activation 2/1/11

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:43 am »
Have to ask this...how much does it cost to get a "tune up"  to adjust your BAHA? I had my BAHA installed in Houston in the hospital where the surgery was done. Houston is 3.5 hours from here. My little bionic ear is due back from Cochlear today because of its cracked case. I suppose they just pull the internals out of the old case and install it in a new case, and leave the adjustments alone...or do they? Anyway, I'm not going to Houston to get it adjusted if it needs it, and would have to pay out of pocket for an adjustment. I have Aetna...maybe they'll cover it.

James