Author Topic: Post BAHA surgery issues...THIS BITES!  (Read 25993 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Post BAHA surgery issues...THIS BITES!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:54 pm »

PS to Lori - NEVER, EVER skimp on the chocolate  ;)

Amen to that Jan! :)  And yeah, don't leave me like that again! LOL

By the way, I am going in first thing in the morning to get this taken care of, no idea on what they will do but at least it's getting done, and quick! Whew! Thanks again for all the well wishes!

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

ksiwek

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »
Jay,

Sorry to hear about the temporary setback!  I had my BAHA surgery on 10/7/10.  My site was healing weird and I was actually set for revision surgery to 're-thin' the tissue 2 months later.  Somehow my site self corrected and I got to cancel the surgery!  It all worked out!  These incisions do take a long time to heal...at least for me they do!  I still get my handheld mirror out every other day to inspect my sites to make sure all is well  ;D  Yep, paranoia at its best!

So I am telling you this because I understand how frustrated you are!  I was feeling pretty down about having to have another surgery and wondering why it couldn't have just been seemless!  But hang in there and try to stay positive!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:35 pm »
Wow Jay, sorry to read this.   I hope you found something out & it is on the 'mend'!

Denise (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
So, I went to the Wound Center today, and they were really nice there.  The doctor basically ripped the big old yucky scab off so it can start healing again. However, there's a pretty big void there, so gonna do a little procedure to move my skin around a bit to cover it up.  Decided to do this as opposed to just going in weekly and having it treated and looked at, which could take months.  This should heal in a matter of weeks if all goes well.  So for now I got to keep it covered with this anti-bacterial ointment (prescription) on it.  I hopefully will get this all done as soon as next week.  Thanks again for all the well wishes, it truly helps! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

moe

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:45 pm »
Hi Jay,javascript:void(0);
Just now reading this thread. Bummer >:(
Keep the glass half full, and once this heals up, hopefully they can "re screw" the abutment.
 I'm wondering if they will have to change the position of the titanium screw in the skull if you decide to proceed with another attempt.
The BAHA IS a great thing to have. Your head just needs a rest. :P
I got my abutment unscrewed with the original brain surgery, because it kept getting crusty with drainage. Now my second time around, the BAHA is fine, and the abutment did go into the same location.
Keep the faith :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:12:50 pm »
I got my abutment unscrewed with the original brain surgery, because it kept getting crusty with drainage. Now my second time around, the BAHA is fine, and the abutment did go into the same location.
Keep the faith :)
Maureen

Ahhh, that's good to know Maureen, I was kinda wondering about that! :) Thanks for that!
Jay

kraynok2

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 07:47:52 pm »
Jay,
   I'm just getting around to this thread, there's soooo much to read on here.  I am so sorry to hear of your bad luck, but am glad that you have finally found a solution.  Keep being positive as you always are.  I'll be thinking of you and praying also.  Hang in there.
Sandy

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 05:14:55 am »
Well....this is fun...lol. Yet another surgical procedure.  So they sliced across the back of my scalp towards the neck and moved the skin around, now it covers the abutment and everything completely.  I guess when it's all healed they can slice it open a bit and but the screw back in.  I was wondering if someone was trying to tell me something when it took them FIVE times to get an IV started for me...I had tough veins...They're like "Did you stay hydrated yesterday?" and I said yes, except for the last eight hours...and boy oh boy did I Feel it. So anyways, that's where I am at, just waiting on this thing to stop seeping (16 staples holding it together, I look like Frankenstein!) :)  I took today off and I'll probably go back to work tomorrow.  Thanks again everyone for their best wishes.  I'll keep you posted (of course!)
Jay

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 06:59:11 am »
Gee whiz, Jay. Just how difficult are you trying to make things? :) I do hope things get easier for you, I'm sure this is not fun.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

ombrerose4

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 07:34:06 am »
Jay,

Sorry you had to go through this. Wishing you an easy and speedy recovery :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

moe

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 09:14:31 am »
Jay,
Woah, what a ride you have been on. I will refrain from saying the BAHA is a simple procedure, because just like everything else there is the possibility of complications :o
Hang in there. That's a lot of staples! I hope they are the mini ones, and not the biggems. So sorry to hear about it, but keep on truckn and have your wife (?) just look at it everyday for changes.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
Jay ~

Sorry to learn about the hassles of the surgery to repair your BAHA rod implant issues.  I don't choose to use a BAHA but the majority of users report that the anchor implant is a relatively simple procedure.  However, there are always exceptions and unforeseen complications can sometimes arise.  I'm just sorry that it has happened to you.  I hope this will be resolved quickly and you can proceed with your original plan for a BAHA installation, which I'm sure will be beneficial for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04:03 am »
Whoa, Jay! 

Sorry to read this story.  Hope the rest of your healing is uneventful.

Should Lori or I send more chocolate?

Seriously,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 04:49:07 pm »
Oops...sorry - I just finished all the chocolate.   :-[ Guess I should have signed on sooner!

Sorry about this new bump in the BAHA road for you, Jay.  Perhaps you can accessorize with a lovely scarf to cover up your new battle wounds?   ;D

Take your vitamins and increase your protein intake - helps with the healing process.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 06:23:09 am »
Jay -

how's the healing going?  Update, please!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways