Author Topic: Post BAHA surgery issues...THIS BITES!  (Read 25994 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Post BAHA surgery issues...THIS BITES!
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:49:39 pm »
So I had my BAHA surgery 3 weeks ago last Friday...what's happening is that the site is not healing, it keeps leaking.  The doc has left the plastic cover thing on over the abutment up until now, and today he took out the screw. He said that will help it heal. But then he left me with he's gonna call me later on today and let me know what's next...Now I am worried.  He said it's having problems healing partially due to the fact that my AN surgery has left that area compromised. I don't know what this will mean for me down the road, so as of now I am anxiously waiting for him to call.  When I left his office, I don't think I've ever felt more despondent...I've always faced everything that was thrown at me, this AN, the recovery, the idea of getting a BAHA (which was not easy for me).  I think I am now just finally crumbling a bit after all this and I just wish it would go away.  I'll be fine emotionally, I usually the glass half full kind of guy (if you don't believe me, read all my posts to newbies! :) )  Anyways....when I find out I'll let everyone know!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post BAHA surgery issues...THIS BITES!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:04:13 pm »
Jay ~

I'm so sorry to learn of your problems with the BAHA abutment not healing properly.  As with any surgery, even minor surgery such as this, we know complications can and do arise, but of course, we always assume (or just hope) that it doesn't happen to us.  Yet, sometime, it does.  For you, this seems to be one of those times - and I'm really sorry to see that happen because, as you stated, you are a positive guy and have a good attitude that is almost infectious.  However, I doubt this is going to be a serious, long-term problem, although it may impact your BAHA acquisition.

I'm confident that you and your doctor will find a solution to this issue and that you'll come out of it O.K.  We'll be looking forward to leaning what happens next in 'Jay's BAHA adventure':)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tamster

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:41:55 pm »
Hi Jay!
So sorry to hear your BAHA experience has hit a snag.  Here's to hoping that it's a temporary set back and with time you'll be telling us all about your new BAHA hearing, making those of us who haven't yet been so brave very jealous.  Where did you have your BAHA surgery done?

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »
Jay .....

I am very interested in following your journey with the BAHA, from a very personal standpoint.  I am so sorry you are having difficulty healing from the abutment implant.  Is it possible the cap being on so long contributed to it not healing? ..... sort of like keeping a bandage on a wound too long?   Might you have had an allergic reaction to something used on it?  Sure hope you have some answers.  Keep in mind this is most likely only a small wrinkle along the way ..... painful though it may be.  

Since I am most likely going to follow suit shortly, I guess I just want to avoid these issues, if there is any way.  Sure curious what "AN surgery has left that area compromised" might mean.

Did you go back to HEI for the abutment or have a local doctor do it?  How did you go about finding an Oticon rep in your area?  (Can you guess I am still researching, researching???   :o)

Many prayers that you will heal quickly and on to the good stuff like being able to have some sound input!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:43:41 pm »
Hi Jay,

Sorry to hear about your complications following your Baha surgery. Hopefully it is just a temporary setback. Please keep us informed.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »
Everyone, thanks for the encouraging words...this is why this place is so great!! I didn't hear from the doc today so maybe tomorrow? Thanks again everyone!
Jay

PS: Tammy, long time no see!! :) Glad to see you again!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:51 am »
Jay,

Sorry to hear you are not healing like you should.  I hope it's only a minor setback and your body needs more time to heal. Please do keep us informed.  ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

tweety

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:49:16 am »
Jay,  Sorry to hear of your set back.  Just like our healing post surgery, be patient and confident in your physician.  Did you  go back to House for the abutement placement? You are in our prayers Jay.  It will all work out.  Nancy

lori67

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:13:39 am »
Darn it!  I should have put more chocolate in the recovery kit!   >:(

I'm hoping for good news for you from the doctor today.  Keep us posted!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:08 am »
Sorry to hear that Jay.....  I am following you on April 8th...... Scary!!!!  Who would have thought after all you have been through that this would stumble!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Puppylove

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:08:10 am »
Sorry to hear about the setback Jay. My BAHA surgery is next Tuesday, and although I'm nervous, I'm still looking forward to it.  I sincerely hope everything works out for you...and soon!

Take care!
Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:17 am »
Sorry about this, Jay!  Sure hope something can be figured out for you...I'm sure they will! 

Hang in there (know you will!),

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jaylogs

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 11:24:15 am »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes...well, the doc is gonna get me into a Wound Center so we can nip this in the bud before it gets out of control.  As soon as insurance approves I'm in...expecting at the latest by Friday.  So that's where that is at now...I'll keep ya all posted as I get more info myself! Thanks again guys,  you are great!
Jay

Sam Rush

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 12:29:52 pm »
My BAHA site took a year to heal.  They finally found a suture  that didn't dissolve, and worked it's way to the surface. Also I was sensitive to the neosporin they kept insisting I put on it.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:40:41 pm »
Damn, Jay.

I'm gone from the Forum for a few days and you have complications  ???

Sorry to hear about this setback, but I'm sure you'll get past it - and if I know you, with a smile on your face.

Hang in there!

A year, Sam  :o

Wow!  Don't know if I'd have had the patience to deal with that.

Jan

PS to Lori - NEVER, EVER skimp on the chocolate  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways