Author Topic: My scar is really bothering me!  (Read 3794 times)

amymeri

My scar is really bothering me!
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:47:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a couple weeks.  I am 10 weeks post op complete removal of a 4cm tumor.  My scar has mostly healed well but there is a portion that bothers me with stinging/stabbing/itching sensations and with a lingering tiny scab that won't heal.  No drainage or anything. 

I have to be careful that hats, scarves or glasses don't rub because that scabbed/sore spot is right behind my ear where the earpiece on glasses rest.

How long should I expect it to take for the scar to completely heal and toughen up?  Following my docs instructions I wash it daily and don't put anythiing on it, touch it or anything,

Advice anyone?

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

luv2teachsped

Re: My scar is really bothering me!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:52:31 pm »
Hi Amy-  Don't be afraid to contact your Dr.  My scar took over a year to heal.  5 Months after my Translab , I finally went back to my Dr.  I had a couple of hairs inside my incision.(I wore my hair short).  Just a few weeks ago was my 1 years MRI, I still had a scab on my scar.  My Dr.  cleaned it out and said scar tissue had gotten into a hair follicle.  He told my that incisions in the hair often do take a long time because they do get infected because of the hair folliclle.Good luck!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:36:08 pm »
I'M 10 mos post op and my incision site is still tendar and itches.  I just got home from the surgeons and he said it was healing I guess it just takes time for the tenderness to go away.

I'd take Jean's advice and have it checked.  Better safe than sorry.

amymeri

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:01:30 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I have my husband look daily and he says it looks good and dry and healing.  My best friend is a doctor and she looked and thought it seemed fine, too.  But when I tough it (and I try to avoid that!) it just feels like tender, smooth skin not dry scar.  I see one of my docs pretty soon so I will have him look.

Infection and CSF leak freak me out, so I am a little paranoid.

Thanks for any and all input.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:41 pm »
it still bothers me to brush my hair on the surgery side....still tendar.  :(

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 08:18:19 pm »
I wear glasses, too and I finally took the arm off the glasses because it kept irritating my incision. Living on a boat in the tropics taught me how to prevent infections in cuts really well! You do NOT want to get an infection out at sea--would just spoil alla yer fun! Hydrogen peroxide and Neosporine!  Just drip the peroxide onto the incision with an eyedropper or cotton ball till it quits bubbling and smoosh a fingerful of Neosporine on it.  My friend Marge did this for me twice a day and it healed right up!

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW