Author Topic: New to Group- 14 year old daughter had AN surgeies in October & November  (Read 19393 times)

CarolineO

My 14 year old daughter had 2 AN's removed last Fall.
We found out on August 31 that she had a tumor.  IT was the
size of a golf ball.
First surgery lasted 12 1/2 hours. Very successful.  She was up and
walking within 2 days.
They found a second tumor and it was removed 6 days after the first.

She will be having the BAHA implant on 2/11/11. 

Just found this group today.  She will be interested to talk to others
as at times she has felt isolated. 

Dr. VG Stewart with Johns Creek ENT (Gerogia) and Dr. Hadjipanyis with
Emory University Hospital Mid-Town (Atlanta) perfomed her surgeries.  Excellent. 
The doctors were very kind and thorough.  She has no pain.  She quit using
pain killers within 3 days of
each surgery.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New to Group- 14 year old daughter had AN surgeies in October & November
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »
Hi CarolineO and welcome to this forum .....

Sorry your daughter is having to deal with ANs at such a young age ...... but so glad you have found good care for her.

We have a couple other moms of teenage AN patients on this forum.  Hopefully they will join in on responses soon.

Ask away with any questions/concerns you have or stay with us to support others.  This is a caring, supportive group of friends.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »
Hi and welcome Caroline. 

Although ANs generally don't manifest until middle age, we have a number of young people frequenting these forums who have had to go through the 'AN experience'.  However, 14 is probably the youngest AN patient we've come across.  I'm very pleased to learn of your daughter's successful surgeries.  I'm sure she'll receive many responses to any messages she posts here.  This is an active website message board comprised of very supporting people, always eager to help, advise and, most of all, support AN patients.  Your daughter will find friends, here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »
Caroline -

2 ANs are somewhat unusual.  Is your daughter NF2? 

She'll love her BAHA.  I've had one for almost 3 years now and it's incredible.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:37:36 pm »
I met a 16 yr old guy at Univ of Iowa while in the waiting room  to see my surgeon.     Couldn't tell he had had AN surgery and was doing well.     Only one AN.      I think it was last spring.                  
     Was your daughters tumors on the same side or on each side?          Just wondering she was NF2.                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:38 pm »
Welcome Caroline!

As the mother of a 13 year old, myself, I can't imagine what this was like for you.  I have always said that I was glad it was ME and not my children or husband!  I am glad that she is doing so well.  I was sondering also if she was NF2...

Feel free to ask any question - that is why we hang around!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »
Oh my goodness, so young to have to deal with such things.  I'm glad she's doing well.  Good thing kids are tough and bounce back pretty well.  She must be a very strong young lady.

I have a BAHA and I'm sure she'll really be happy with hers.

You are both very welcome here.  As adults we can feel isolated because this is not a common thing, but even more uncommon in a 14 year old, so I'm sure it can't be easy for her.  I can only imagine how hard it is for you as her mom.  Lots of good advice from moms and other caregivers on the forum too.

Welcome to both of you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:05:17 am »
Hey, Caroline!  Glad to see you posted - was so nice talking with you yesterday - what a positive message you have!  I look forward to meeting you and your daughter sometime soon.

Please be sure to let us know how the BAHA implant goes - know she'll do very, very well as she did remarkably well with her AN surgeries! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CarolineO

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:46 am »
HI, everyone.  Thanks for the replies.

I told my daughter about the site and she will be checking in sometime soon.

Her tumors:  1st one was on the 8th cranial nerve on the right side.  After removal they performed
an MRI and saw another above her brain stem.  It was only 1 cm so that surgery was only 5 1/2 hours.
Genetic results came back yesterday- NO NF2.  Just a very rare case of AN's. 

Danna is doing great and is trying to get caught up with her first semester of missed classes and
work on her second semester at the same time.  We are grateful that her surgeries did not result in any
damage other than the loss of hearing on her right side.  (She had lost of it anyway so her surgery
was performed through her ear- scar is behind her ear.)

We have been stretched in a lot of ways since the ENT appointment on 8/31/10.  Learned a lot but we
are so happy that Danna no longer has headaches, vertigo, etc.  Now the BAHA implant next week and
we'll see what life has in store!

Thanks for having a group!

CarolineO

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
One more note - her first tumor is was between 3.5 cm- 4 cm.

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:54 pm »
Hi CarolineO and welcome,

I'm glad to h ear that  Danna is doing to well.  One AN is a lot to deal with but I can't even imagine the stress of having to go through two AN surgeries back to back, especially at such a young age.  She must be a very strong young lady and have a strong sense of being supported by her family.  You are  both welcome to ask questions, vent or just compare experiences, we are all here to support one another.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Danna O

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »
Hey everyone!
Im Danna. The subject of this forum. I can say that handling those 2 tumors was stressful and very hard. A lot of tears were shed wheter they were happy because im alive and can hear or sad about having to deal with this. I got through it. The doctors said I would definately have facial paralysis, but ther next few days after surgery they came and checked on me, and i have NO facial paralysis. Being home and alive, I was inspired to write my story and share it. Its posted on my caringbridge site. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dannaokeson . You should check it out. (:

opp2

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:09 pm »
Hello Pretty Girl! What a trooper you are. All the best with the BAHA and school. I believe in you.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

suboo73

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:30:02 am »
Hi Caroline and Danna!

I saw your posts and read Danna's story on caringbridge - WOW!

Danna - you are an amazing young person, and i am so thankful you got through the surgeries and are now on your way to a full recovery!
Having an AN is no fun - thank you for sharing your very inspirational story.
Caroline - i am so glad you found this Forum - the folks here are FANTASTIC, very supportive and caring.

Best wishes with the BAHA on 2/11!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

lori67

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 07:17:50 am »
Hi Danna!

Thanks for sharing your Caring Bridge link.  I just read it and it is amazing! YOU are amazing!  And gorgeous too, I might add!   ;D

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.  You are a shining example to everyone on how to handle bad situations with grace.  I have a feeling you are going to accomplish many wonderful things in your LONG and HEALTHY life and will definitely continue to make this world a better place.  I know your family and friends are very proud of you.

Keep smiling!
Lori
p.s.  If it makes you feel any better, it took me 5 hours to finish homework that should have taken an hour too - and that was long before my surgery!  At least you have a good excuse!   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.