Author Topic: New to Group- 14 year old daughter had AN surgeies in October & November  (Read 19392 times)

CarolineO

HI, Everyone. 
Cindy- I am not sure if we got signed up for the Newletter.  I'll have to double-check.
July 23rd...we will be visiting relatives.  We'll have to catch the next one.

Danna has her BAHA.  Doesn't wear it.
So many rules- no wet hair, no sweating, etc.  She has adjusted to not hearing on the one side.
She said she'd probably only wear it for lectures.

She is embarrassed when it produces feedback. (If she leans against it, if her hair brushes it, etc)

I think she'll appreciate it more when she is older.  Right now she is afraid that if she is too active she'll lose it.
Emotionally she has more good days than bad.  Still struggles some times but is doing much better.

I truly appreciate all the prayers you gave Danna. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Caroline -

some of these "rules" confuse me.  Who gave them to Danna?

No wet hair? No sweating?  These aren't rules as far as I know.  I attach my BP100 to my head w/wet hair all the time and have had no issues.  I also know for sure that I sweat when I wear my processor.  Although I don't wear it when I exercise (my preference), I do wear it all summer long and it gets hot and humid in Chicago.  I've also worn it in other hot climates (San Diego, Colorado, etc.) in the summer months.  The biggest thing with moisture - like wet hair or sweat - is to make sure the processor is allowed to dry out when it's not being worn.  Danna should use the jar of drying beads (they come with Cochlear processors, I'm not sure if they come with Oticon processors) or she should look into a dry and store (example http://www.dryandstore.com/ )  In fact, she should use the beads or a drying box every night when she removes her processor, after removing the battery. 

To get the full benefits of the BAHA, it should be worn daily.  I only remove mine for showering, sleeping, and exercising (again, my choice); lots of wearers don't remove the processor for exercising.  The more you wear it, the more you get used to it - and the more it becomes a "part of your life". 

BAHAs are meant to let the wearer live a normal life - which includes wet hair and sweating.  It shouldn't be worn for times when the head is totally submerged - showering, swimming, etc - because the battery will burn out and the processor will get damaged. 

As far as the feedback, that's a programming issue.  I can reach up and touch my BP100 and it won't even whistle.  Danna should see her audiologist.  Sometimes the solution with feedback is as simple as turning off the feedback manager.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

proudmomof3

Welcome to the forum..Sorry that you had to find us, but so glad to hear your daughter is doing so well. It is hard enough to hear the diagnosis as an adult, but I can't imagine having my child go through it. She must be a very brave girl.

So glad to hear that the doctors were able to help her.

I am new to this forum too as I was just diagnosed in March and had Gamma Knife done in April.  I have to wait 6 months for my first MRI.

Hope we can be of help to you and your daughter.

Cheryl :)
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches