Author Topic: New to Group- 14 year old daughter had AN surgeies in October & November  (Read 19394 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New to Group- 14 year old daughter had AN surgeies in October & November
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32:01 am »
Danna ......

What an inspiring young woman, you are!  Thanks so much for joining us here on the forum.  You are and certainly will be an inspiration to other people who are diagnosed with an AN at a young age.

Many thoughts and prayers for your continued recovery.  ..... and so exciting that soon you will have your BAHA!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 07:36:47 am »
Danna,

I read your story and in my opinion, you are a remarkable young lady!  You have gone through so much at such a young age and handled it with courage and grace.  I'm sure you cried your share of tears and were scared but we have all cried our share of tears and have been afraid of what might happen to us.   I am so happy for you that you had such a wonderful outcome with the exception of being SSD (single sided deaf).   I am also thrilled for you that you are scheduled for BAHA surgery.  Although it is not the same as natural hearing, it is a huge improvement over being SSD.  Remember that you are not alone and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:42 am »
Hi, Danna!  I'm the one who talked w/ your mom the other day - live right up the street from you just about and I look forward to meeting you two sometime very soon.  Thanks for sharing your CaringBridge story - know others will be inspired!

Will be anxious to hear how things go with the BAHA!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »
Wow, another inspirational teenager sharing their AN journey.  I didn't start mine until I was 60 years old.  I can't fathom what it would have been like to go through what you went through at your age.  But, you have persevered and we applaud you. 

Sue in Vancouver, WA   USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »
Hi, Danna ~

Another welcome from a fellow AN patient!  Usually, I prefer to be original but in this instance I can only offer my personal congratulations on your successful AN surgeries and echo what previous posters have stated so, following that, I'll just thank you for joining the ANA discussion forums and look forward to your future updates and comments..   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »
Danna,
Welcome to the Forum and the Golf Ball-Sized Tumor Club.  ;D There are a few of us here. Like everyone else, I'm very impressed with your story and how well you have handled this particular challenge.

I am sure you are an inspiration to a lot of people.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »
Best wishes to you!  You have been through a lot, but have come through like a trouper!  God has blessed you with a wonderful attitude and a wonderful outcome.  We are glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Keep us posted on your journey.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CarolineO

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 10:43:21 pm »
Hey everyone!  Danna had her Baha implant on Friday.
Surgery lasted about 2 hours 45 minutes.  Started at 7:30 a.m.
we were home by 12:30 p.m.
She is up and running- no pain killers.
The implant plus packing stuff is pretty intimidating.  She'll have the
foam square (about 1 in square) removed on Thursday.

I'll see if she is willing to post a picture but the amazing thing is that
she has not needed any pain pills.  She said it does hurt some but
not enough to stop her.

She does not want to go to school until the foam is off.  We have tried
to braid her hair to side to cover the implant.  She cannot wash her hair
until Thursday.

if that is the biggest worry- no worries!  God is merciful and Danna is doing
great!  (Thank you, Dr. Fermin Stewart!!!!)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 09:41:10 am »
Danna -

you've definitely been through a lot.  I have a 14 year-old daughter and a 14 year-old son and can't imagine either one of them having to go through AN surgery.

A BAHA is a wonderful choice and you'll find that while it won't give you back your normal hearing, it's pretty darn good.  In my opinion it's a huge (positive) difference over being single-sided deaf.

Like you, I had no pain from my BAHA surgery; just a little discomfort.  You'll find that something over-the-counter like Tylenol will relieve your "pain".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 06:14:48 pm »
Way to go, Danna!   ;D  Glad surgery is over and you're feeling good.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go to school without washing your hair and with having a foam thing stuck to your head.   :-\  Once you can give your hair a good wash, it's pretty easy to cover up the abutment.  And if your hair still feels goopy from all the ointment - Dawn dishwashing liquid works great and getting it out.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

kareno

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 01:22:41 pm »

Hi Caroline & Danna:

I read your inspirational story on caringbridge and you are a beautiful, amazing person.  I shared this with my husband who also had surgery for an AN 9 months ago.  Your page touched my heart as I am sure many others.  Best of luck with the BAHA.

Karen 
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 02:53:16 pm »
My 21 year old daughter had a large AN removed at age 16.    She also had to have two long surgeries, a few weeks apart, but for my daughter it was on the same tumor.   This happened at the end of her sophomore year in highschool.   We were able to get her caught up in school and she graduated with her class...and has gone on to college.

So I would say she also has done remarkably well (with the exception of hearing loss on one side).  My daughter is hoping to get the Soundbite (rather than the BAHA).  This is just a personal preference.

Just wanted you to know there are other young people that went thru this.

Debi

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:21 pm »
We used cornstarch(gently massage into the sounding hair) before the shampoo when trying to wash out the greasy ointment ( we had to do this after the AN surgery)
Works pretty well, absorbs so you don't have to wash so many times!

Mickey

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »
Very nice story to a tough situation in our AN world. You have to believe that under the circumstances that you are a very special person going into the future. God bless you, Mickey

CarolineO

Re: New to Group- 14 year old daughter AN- now BAHA
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »
Today was Danna's first appointment since her Implant procedure.
We both had stress for different reasons... maybe the same.

They took the cushiony thing off her head.  I was scared because I don't like to see blood
or stitches.  She probably is scared of that plus the shaved area plus the fact that she has to
"brush" the implant every day.

Tomorrow morning will be tough.  She is going to shower and "brush" the area.  I will
apply the antibiotic ointment around the stitches.  WE'll braid her hair to cover the "cap" over
the BAHA implant.  We are both scared.

I feel so wimpy.  She has had to go through so many issues and we are both a little
stressed.   Definitely appreciate prayers.  Danna is going back to school tomorrow.  More homework to catch up on...