Author Topic: For those with swallowing problems...it gets better  (Read 2382 times)

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
For those with swallowing problems...it gets better
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »
Hi all,

After wondering for about a week if I was seeing/feeling improvement, I spent the weekend paying more attention than usual to my swallowing. It  is definitely improved. Not healed, but improved. I don't have to drink nearly as much to get through a meal as I used to. In fact, it seems the only limitations on what I eat are those things likely to irritate my left vocal cord as that still causes coughing fits which can lead to choking.

So after almost a year, improvement continues.

I hope this is encouraging to others who have to suffer through this problem.

-Tod

Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

sunfish

Re: For those with swallowing problems...it gets better
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:05:52 am »
I'm glad to hear you're making progress!  I've had a tiny bit of this (sounds different than yours, though).  This kind of problem has an impact on what you eat, how much you eat, your appetite, etc., at least in my opinion.  So improvement is GOOD!!!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

mattsmum

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:39:14 pm »
has annyone else who has had radiosurgery had swallowiing problems?
mine are not severe, but i definitely have episdes of choking from time to time when swallowing, and have trouble swallowing tablets which i never had before.
are these likely to get better too?

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:53 am »
I had CK, and had a big choking incident only about a week after treatment.  Actually, I've learned it's more of an esophageal spasm thing, as opposed to an upper throat thing.  The decadron gave me really high blood pressure that week, and when I had this incident, I was certain I was having a heart attack, what with the chest pain and all.  I wound up in the ER later that night, and they put me on blood pressure meds.

Over the last year, I've had several, more minor instances of this spasm, and one big one around Christmas.  Notably, I had another round of steroids near Thanksgiving.  My primary care doc said in January that she thinks the steroids started me on a vicious cycle of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).  She prescribed Nexxium, and I've had scarcely an issue with heartburn, GERD, spasm, etc. over the past couple weeks.  Maybe she was right!

The doctor explains that stomach acid splashes up onto the esophageal lining, which is quick to get sort of chronically irritated, and this is what causes the spasm.  I had more sinister thoughts of collateral damage to other cranial nerves from the CK.  I've wound up on more medications this year than I like, and I think these have added to the irritation.  Maybe sometimes the more simple explanation turns out to be right.  I hope you find a solution to your problem - talk to your doctors about this.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC