Author Topic: BAHA Surgery today - Piece of cake  (Read 12282 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: BAHA Surgery today - Piece of cake
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 08:57:27 pm »
I wore the "hat" for 24 hours post op and then was able to take it off.  At that point, I could shampoo if I held a cup over the BAHA site to keep it from getting wet.

One week post op, my doc removed the cap and bandage from the site and I was able to shampoo normally.

I think antibiotics are one of those doctor's preference things.  I asked my doc about taking them prior to the implant surgery, but he doesn't believe in giving them unless a patient encounters an infection.  In my case, I had no infection, so I had no antibiotics.

Like Cheryl, I had a little pain - actually I'd term it "discomfort" - the second day post op and I think the afternoon of the first day.  I took Extra-Strength Tylenol and it did the trick quite nicely.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26:29 pm »
OMGoodness!  I am so out of the loop when I take a year break from the forum!  I am so proud of you Cheryl! I have not ventured to the BAHA yet...glad to see you and a few others from last year doing this!  Hope all is well  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

NL

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »
Hi Cheryl!

Congratulations on the BAHA! Thanks for all the info on your surgery and the pic. I'll be looking for future updates!

Kind of makes me want to join the club.  ;)

Nancy

P.S. - Kris, congrats to you, too!
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »
Wow, thanks for the picture Cheryl!  I feel so much better.  I get my screw on Wed the 27th and have been a little nervous to say the least.  The picture really means alot.  I just don't know if I will have the cup or not.  Some say since I had the cup after my AN surgery that I mostly like will though.  The doctor suggested I take the next day off so I'm guessing either the cup or bandage.
I'm glad all went so well and you have had such little discomfort.  That's a great sign for all of us wanting this done.
That will be an awesome Christmas present, I was thinking the samething about mine, if I come home with it.
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

Goldie

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:27 pm »
The most common question I get asked when I tell people about the BAHA..."How new is this?"  I think fairly new but really don't know how long they've been doing the BAHA's.  Anyone know?

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
The most common question I get asked when I tell people about the BAHA..."How new is this?"  I think fairly new but really don't know how long they've been doing the BAHA's.  Anyone know?

Denise D.

Take a look at this link; Birth of BAHA.  It was somehow started in late 1970's early 1980's. (You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the article).
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Goldie

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 06:23:31 pm »
Wow!  Very interesting, and thanks for sending.  Now I can say a little more than "Gee, I don't know."   :)

So far I haven't met any non-users (or non-ANers) who have heard of the BAHA.  I have a feeling that will change as time goes on. 

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:16 pm »
BAHAs were being implanted in the UK before they got FDA approval in the U.S.

I've met several non-AN patients who have BAHAs - and although I haven't them in person, at least two Forumites are non-AN BAHA wearers; Mike Corse and Dale (dalern).  I've also met other non-AN patients with BAHAs through the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com) and through my work as a Cochlear volunteer.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mandy721

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 06:39:09 am »
Cheryl,
Looking forward to hearing more reports after you can use the BAHA.  Seeing how being deaf in one ear impacts Ken's day to day life, I hope he will give more thought to getting a BAHA.  More good wishes for this new chapter.
Best,
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 04:27:39 pm »
Miranda -

Ken should try the BAHA demo, it's what ultimately sold me on the BAHA.

Just a thought,

Jan

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 12:27:09 am »
Heya Cheryl! Congrats on tha BAHA....I bet you can't wait until your gotcha day, eh?  This is good info for all those who are on the fence about getting BAHAs. Like Nancy said, kinda makes me want to get one, you made it look so easy! :)  Let us know how things sound on your gotcha day, k? :)  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 05:59:41 am »
Jay -

jump over the fence and try the demo  ;)  ;D

Jan

another NY postie

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 01:20:10 pm »
Today Dr. took out stiches.  It is healing amazingly well.  My hair also grows like a weed so hair is there.  All  numbness except around the site is gone.  The coolest thing was he was cleaning around the post - I guess taking off the first layer of skin that was old with a tweezer and just with the post there, I could hear what he was doing!  I couldn't believe it!  I could actually hear that tiny of sound.  It still feels like I hear through the good ear when he taps on it...I have an appt in 6 weeks and he told me to bring processor just in case as I got the new post so it may be ready then.  Yahoo!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 06:16:34 am »
One of my favorite things prior to my Gotcha Day was touching my abutment so I could hear the sound of my fingertip  ;D

Yes, I know, that sounds VERY weird  :D

But it was also very cool  8)

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:37 am »
hi Cheryl,

I've been meaning to check in and I can see things are going well!  Wow, if you get to start using your processor in just 6 more weeks, that would be very cool!  I know what you mean about hearing the sound when he touched your abutment.  Like Jan, I couldn't resist tapping it from time to time before my BAHA gotcha day.  It was an amazing precursor or things to come as far as better hearing goes.  I'm so happy for you!!! 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!