Author Topic: BAHA Surgery today - Piece of cake  (Read 12280 times)

another NY postie

BAHA Surgery today - Piece of cake
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:25:03 pm »
Had my Baha surgery this morning...surgery at 9 am and out on the street at 11:30!  :D I do not know what I was so afraid of...Jan was right...piece of cake!  I had twilight sedation so I was in and out of waking up and chatting (I told my surgeon I was awake for the whole thing and he told me that I was snoring. lol ::)  I came out to my husband/recovery, smiling, with my hair down covering up my site so it looked like I didn't even have surgery.  I did hear the drilling a bit but it didn't seem bad at all...much worse in the dentist's office.  We went out to lunch after and then home.  It is starting to ache just a bit..so far no need for any drugs...so for those of you that are nervous like I was...it is SO not brain surgery.

My surgeon also does not use a bandage/headwrap anymore.  He places a plastic disc over it...I think it kinda looks like a plastic shell...it will remain there until my post op next week...he also gave my husband my Baha with instructions to hide it from me.  My husband told me he will wrap it up and give it to me for xmas ::)

Cheryl

that beige thing the plastic covering
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:28:09 pm by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA Surgery today - Piece of cake
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 01:31:17 pm »
Congratulation on the surgery!  Good to hear it went like a piece of cake.   ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:46:40 pm »
Cheryl ~

Congratulations!  Thanks for the encouraging account of your relatively easy BAHA implant procedure.  Better hearing will your real Christmas present.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:06:06 pm »
Congrats thanks for the picture
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 02:30:40 pm »
YIPEEEEE!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »
Yay! 

Somehow, when someone tells you they're going to put a screw in your skull, you automatically think it's going to be a horrible, painful experience.  What a pleasant surprise to find out it's not!  I have had manicures that hurt more than my BAHA surgery!

Glad you don't have a huge bandage too.  Mine was well hidden under my hair and I was grateful for that.

Happy Healing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »
awesome...i had the turban for a week...lucky you
jO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »
Wonderful update, Cheryl  ;D

Glad things went smoothly - and I'm jealous that you don't have to wear a BAHA "hat".  I still remember how attractive mine was! LOL

Happy healing,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:30 pm »
Great news, Cheryl.  I just knew after having it done, you would wonder why you had been so nervous!  Welcome to the "club"!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:05:34 am »
Great news Cheryl, mine is with Battista on November 4th.  I have opted for twilight so glad positive experience.  Awesome to see the picture, totally makes me feel better.....Happy Healing!!

meagan
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

ksiwek

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:30:43 pm »
Hi Cheryl!

I know I sent you a PM...but wanted to say congrats again on this thread!  Our countdown is on!!!!  Keep me posted on how you are healing...and I will do the same.

Meagan, I just had mine with Dr Battista and twilight sedation...both Doc and hospital were fantastic!  PM me if you want to talk about anything leading up to your surgery ( I am sure, however, that Jan has you all squared away)

Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

moe

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:00:59 pm »
Congratulations on joining the BAHA club!
I'll join on 9 NOV, and we can compare how it works for us.
Maureen ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

another NY postie

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:44:53 am »
Wow there is a lot of us clusted around these days...so we will have our gotcha moments together! :D

Day two I was more sore in area and when I moved my head I would get this stretching sensation.  Uncomfortable a bit but nothing really big...I used extra strengh tylenol today.  I had taken a percocet (what he gave me) on Monday as was sooooo nauseous that I will  never take one of those again.  As others have said, the tylenol works well.

Day three - I don't have any pain so far today and have not needed a tylenol.  I do have a very slight headache but not sure that is even related as I am prone to headaches due to allergies..and today I get to take a shower!  I am not sure how I got through all those days post middle fosa surgery without showering...probably was much more out of it because I can't wait to shower today ;D

Thanks for all the congrats....and good luck to those who are about to be drilled
-Cheryl
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:25:37 am by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:06:03 pm »
Wow, you're lucky.  It was a week before I could take a shower!  Feels good, doesn't it?
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Goldie

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »
Everybody has their own way, don't they?  I wore the head wrap for 24 hours and then could shower.  Pretty good deal!  I don't remember seeing others mention taking an antibiotic - I had a three-day course starting the day of surgery.  The only thing I'm to use on the incision is Vaseline.  So far, all is well!

Glad it went well for you, Cheryl! 

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.