Author Topic: Donnalynn's Husband - Please Pray  (Read 75179 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Donnalynn's Husband - Please Pray
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2010, 02:56:18 pm »
We will always have the poor among us, so if we all can help in a small way, it can help... we have seen many, many people helped with the smallest of gestures!

May God bless you for your servant's heart. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2010, 09:01:23 pm »
Donnalynn, you are an inspiration.   :) :)

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #227 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:35 am »
Hi Donnalynn!  So glad that your Jim is doing so much better--a load off all our hearts.

About nerve ablation--Cin just had hers done and you can follow her thread over in the headache section.  It is basically a process of a series of diagnostic nerve injections at first with long lasting lidocaine and corticosteroid to locate the nerves that are triggering the pain.  In my case two sessions are given two weeks apart and if relief is achieved they go ahaead with the ablation process.  This involves inserting needles into the nerves which carry a radiofrequency current which heats them up and essentially damages the nerve enough so that it no longer carries pain signals to the brain.  We have two kinds of nerves in our bodies--ones that allow feeling and ones that allow movement.  The feeling ones are the ones that carry pain signals.  The ablation can last for up to a year or possibly forever.  My new GP had one in her lumbar spine several years ago and her pain has never returned.

Right now I am going through the process on my sacroiliac region, which was damaged due to prolonged surgical position during my way too long laparoscopic hysterectomy 18 months ago.  I had over 40 injections two weeks ago and will have my second round on Monday.  I got a great deal of relief with the first round.

When I am done with my back, my Botox in my head should be worn off, so we will start on my occipital nerves and hopefully get me headache-free, or at least headache greatly reduced, possibly forever!

If you want to Google it, it is also called a rhizotomy.  I will possibly be having a "C2-C3 dorsal rhizotomy" and he will probably follow the occipital nerves where they leave the spinal chord and up the back of my head and fry those, too.  Seems that's what Cin had done as well.  She's still having some pain, but that's to be expected for 4-5 weeks following the procedure.  This definitely ain't for sissies and the docs only do it for folks who have had this kind of nerve pain for a long time.

I'm working with a great new doc who is an anesthesiologist who specializes in Pain Management, is fairly young and seems to really know his stuff. Not local, but near Charlotte, NC--about a 2 1/2 hour drive and close to my grandscallywags.

Sorry for the loooong post, but I wanted to give you a thorough updat cuz you asked!

Thank you for being the caring person that you are m'dear!

Hugs to you, Jim, and Vanessa,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #228 on: November 24, 2010, 11:13:16 am »
Hi Donnalyn,
Knowing what you do with the homeless, I now understand why you wanted to know more about what I was doing in Africa and how to help.  You are making a difference in the world doing what you do right there at home.  I still look forward to talking to you so we can compare notes and perhaps collaborate on some projects.  I definitely have some thoughts.  So glad Jim is doing so much better.  Hope to talk to you soon.
God Bless,
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
Yes, I'm back and I sent you a PM.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2010, 09:53:43 pm »
glad Jim is holding his own ...being back at fire hall may be a bit of special medication he needs ... for me getting back to school and scouts helped me more than most of the medical advice doctors gave me right after surgery ... as long as the guys have his back this should be good for him

I am so proud to hear of your work ... with help of scouts we collect blankets all year long... get them at yard sales , good will , salvation army stores etc ...only buy ones in good shape ... clean and bag them and when it turns cold they are ready for homeless and people who may be in un heated or under heated house ... also gather jackets and coats ...you can pick these up cheaper during spring and summer when people want to get rid of them ... also have a few people that give us new coats and blankets ...

one year we made a bunch of quillows for homeless people  ... a quilt with an attached pocket and handles that when folded just so ended up looking like a shopping bag ... easy to carry ... alot of what is gathered goes to Nashville or Huntsville as long as we have out local needs covered and keep back a few for things that come up ...coat drive with BETA club is going on along with food drives ... the need is there year round but when the leaves begin to turn it becomes an immediate concern

if everyone puts forth the effort to help one person a world of good can be done ... and start with kids ... we have BETA club and Student Council  ringing bells for Toys for Tots , scouts and school kids  gathering warm clothing , food and blankets ...running a Santa shop at school to buy hams and turkeys to go in meal boxes for Christmas ... along with the genral pantry collection the kids are bringing in specific items to make meal boxes that will go to families in the community ... if we can get one child to grow up into an adult concerned for others we have won ... and I think we teach this skill to more than one each year

thank you for all you do for your fellow man /woman/child
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

moe

« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2010, 11:17:23 am »
Wow,
You ladies are amazing! All that you do, in addition to taking care of yourselves, and Jim (BTW this thread has been officially hijacked now that Jim is doing better. Though we continue to pray
 for him.  ;) )
Hard enough just taking care of myself, but it DOES feel sooo good to help others-kind of take my mind off of my own problems. Keep doing all you do, and take care of yourselves!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Soundy

« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2010, 12:17:43 pm »
Wow,
You ladies are amazing! All that you do, in addition to taking care of yourselves, and Jim (BTW this thread has been officially hijacked now that Jim is doing better. Though we continue to pray
 for him.  ;) )
Hard enough just taking care of myself, but it DOES feel sooo good to help others-kind of take my mind off of my own problems. Keep doing all you do, and take care of yourselves!
Maureen

doing for others , be it volunteering at school so that teacher can have an extra 15 minutes away from class ( sometimes a necessity for sanity reasons  ;D ) or collecting for needy , is doing for myself ...makes me feel useful ...since I have not worked (for pay) since surgery , I feel useless at times ... so helping out where I am able is self healing treatment for me ...

did that make sense ? I have typed it several times and it just doesn't type as well as it sounds in my head ...

regardless of minor high jacks Jim , you are still in my thoughts and prayers and your rock is in my pocket ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2010, 09:31:53 pm »
Even though this is a hijack I'm sure Jim would approve  ;D

You are all so amazing who give of your time and help the less fortunate.  This is the season and I say God Bless You from the bottom of my heart.   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Soundy

« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:26 am »
I was at school for a bit this morning spying on the child that my daughters  and their Beta Club team drew from school angel tree and are in charge of  buying gifts for ... the girl is in kindergarten ... I told the teacher why I was there hoping for input from her on the child's likes and ended up sitting with the girl  and several others talking about Christmas and Santa wish list ... she is a girly girl that wears size six and loves jewelry and baby dolls ... she said she wanted a sweater and jeans  for Christmas and I checked her size to add to her list for Santa ...

did this with the others in the group and when I had the information I needed and helped them clean up their area  I left ... I was in hall talking to another teacher and was juggling the 3 rocks in my jacket pocket making  clicking sounds ... she asked what I had in my pocket ... I pulled them out and she asked why did I have rocks in my pocket and did they fall out of my head ?  ... first told her yep they came from my head and had been there to replace the marbles I had lost  ;D ... then told her about prayer rocks ...

PS.... she added Jim in Canada to her prayer list and is going to find a herself a rock ...

just thought I would share

! " #      

$
       %    &   

%$
          '

( 
    ! ) * + " #     

%  

$

-          .            $

#  

Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:12 am »
OK ... that is just weird  :o...

that is suppose to be Prayer Rock Prayer ... I cut and pasted it from a site and evidently it does not compute here ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

moe

« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:59 am »

doing for others , be it volunteering at school so that teacher can have an extra 15 minutes away from class ( sometimes a necessity for sanity reasons  ;D ) or collecting for needy , is doing for myself ...makes me feel useful ...since I have not worked (for pay) since surgery , I feel useless at times ... so helping out where I am able is self healing treatment for me ...

Soundy,
YES it makes perfect sense! I just loved volunteering when the kids were school age. The gratification is amazing. And the sense of control is wonderful. PLUS kids just warm my heart....
Would love to get back into it in some sort (maybe in a hospital or helping with the elderly homebound/church etc.......) but all my energy goes into working very part time and holding down the house (got those college tuitions to pay off....)

I love this quote:

“In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.” – Blessed Mother Teresa  :) :) :)

I went to see a home health patient recently, and on my way up the side road there was a man  sitting on the ground with his dog who was on a leash, which he was having a hard time controlling.
 I drove past him, had a feeling that he "had fallen and couldn't get up" and turned around.
He HAD fallen and another car stopped. We got him up and walked him back to his house with his unruly dog.......... It's those little things.........

Enjoy the moments,
Maureen :)

moe

« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2010, 09:33:00 am »
Oh yea, i can decipher that Prayer! Weird is right. Try again :o

Soundy

« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:14 am »
glad it made sense to you ...

this is the original prayer rock prayer I got about 20 years ago ... we took a little rock about an inch across is a good size ... the kids wondered the creek gravel bar looking for their perfect rock ... we had cut out 6 inch circles of Christmas print fabric and put the rock in the center and tied it with a ribbon and put the prayer on laminated cars with a hole punched in corner ... they served as a reminder for the kids to say their prayers and think of others ... later I just began carrying smooth unwrapped rocks to roll around in my pockets to remind me of people in need and to be thankful for what I have ... or sometimes to just hold and think ... kinda like permanent post it notes in my pocket ...

any way ... here it is in English ... I hope

Prayer Rock
I’m your little prayer rock and this is what I’ll do .
Just put me on your pillow till the day is through.
Then turn back the covers and climb into your bed ,
And WHACK … your little prayer rock will hit you on your head.
The you will remember as the day is through
To kneel and say your prayers as you wanted to.
Then when you are finished just dump me on the floor,
I’ll stay there through the night time to give you help once more
When you get up the next morning CLUNK … I stub your toe
So you will remember your prayers before you go.
Put me back upon your pillow when your bed is made,
And your clever little prayer rock will continue in your aid.
Because your heavenly Father cares and loves for you so,
He wants you to remember to talk to him , you know .
Translab July 2 ,2007

Lizard

« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »
We'll keep praying, you will get through this busy time and hopefully enjoy some relaxing evenings soon!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt