Author Topic: Schizophrenia  (Read 13678 times)

tgillesp

Re: Schizophrenia
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »
My older sister (by one year) is severly schizophrenic and in a personal care home.  Her symptoms began around the age of 17 and progressively worsened.  She is now 50.  Of course, the jury is still out on my having an AN.  Hope to have a definite "NO" one day soon. 
diagnosis 8/25/2010 5mm acoustic neuroma...second opinion by Dr. Chang says I have no tumor!!!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 03:30:24 am »
I have worked on an in-patient mental health ward and NEVER have I seen a schizophrenic  develope AN.( an some of my patient I have know for over 20 years) Schizophrenia has to do with the chemicals of the brain and their functioning, or some believe it can be socialized.....AN has to do with a physical/structural problem.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

MamaGina

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
Yes, I had an AN and my maternal uncle had schizophrenia.
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

MamaGina

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »
Oh Kathleen, I just read your post. I think you misunderstood. The original question was if you (the person with AN) has a RELATIVE with schizophrenia.

Also, I am not up on my neurobiochemistry, but dopamine is one of the neurotransmitters out of balance in schizophrenia. Cortisol isn't a neurotransmitter, but a hormone, right? So any person can have high cortisol levels. Its the hormone released when we are stressed during the fight or flight response.  Anyway, I don't think she said it causes schizophrenia, but can worsen psychosis and cause tumor growth? Which I totally buy. Think about it,stress contributes to so many illnesses. I wonder if just the stress from having a family member with a mental illness could increase your cortisol and then contribute to tumor growth. Or if its just genetic to have a body which misuses neurotransmitters and hormones? I think its all very interesting and possible....
L 3.0 cm AN resection via retrosigmoid approach 10/2000;
CSF leak repair w/mastoidectomy one week later. 
chronic headaches, vertigo, fatigue, facial paralysis, SSD, and more!

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:09:59 pm »
To my knowledge, NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON in my family has had any struggle with any of this...even severe depression or M/D behavior.  The only, remote, thing is that my father had Alzheimer's...I always called him "Crazy Gene" - with affection, of course!!

K   ;D
*jusy is still out on me*  ::)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JoA.N.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 10:31:57 pm »
My grandpa had schizophrenia and my mom had an AN. She is having pretty bad persecutory delusions. :'(