Author Topic: Are delusions normal?  (Read 6013 times)

JoA.N.

Are delusions normal?
« on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »
My mom has been having persecutory delusions after the removal of her AN. Is this normal? Will it go away? :'(

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Are delusions normal?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:37 am »
My mom has been having persecutory delusions after the removal of her AN. Is this normal? Will it go away? :'(

Hi and welcome.

Although not a dr, typically, the answer would be "no".  Since AN's are related to hearing/balance nerve (VIII Cranial nerve complex), delusions are not typical post-AN treatments.  Suggestion (again, I'm not a dr) would be to have her follow up with a neurologist as neurology is the medical speciality of choice in follow up to post-AN treatments as well as other diagnoses that may relate to delusions, etc.

Hang in there......
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JoA.N.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
Thanks for your response. I think I'm realizing that this issue is not related.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »
JoA.N. ~

For what it's worth - and I'm not a doctor, either - I suspect your mom's delusions are not associated with her acoustic neuroma or the surgery.  Delusions are not normal following the removal surgery so I would echo Phyl's suggestion that your mom be evaluated by a neurologist to discover the cause of her delusional episodes and, one hopes, find a remedy.  Please let us know what happens.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:24 pm »
Acute onset of delusions is caused by a medical problem, not due to brain surgery. Many things can cause this. Her doctor should be on top of this. Probably electrolyte imbalance or low blood count.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
No, they aren't.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:29 pm »
What medications is she on?  Sometimes people react to meds that are new to them.  Also, not sure how old your mom is or how long ago her surgery was, but some folks of advanced years have unusual psychological effects from the anesthesia.  I have seen perfectly normal people behave in very abnormal ways after being under general anesthesia.  And it can take a while for it to work it's way out of the body.

Definitely mention it to the doctor. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.