Author Topic: Schizophrenia  (Read 13789 times)

vickievenus

Schizophrenia
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:05:29 pm »
I have a new friend who I found out who had an AN removed about 8 years ago. My AN surgery was in 2006. I have a son who has schizophrenia and my friend's father had schizophrenia. I am aware of a possible link between high cortisol levels and tumor growth and there has been a link established in high cortisol levels and severity level of psychotic symptoms. I wanted to ask if anyone else that has had an AN who has a realtive with schizophrenia, or any other major psychiatric disorder.

opp2

Re: Schizophrenia
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »
Nope.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »
Can't say that I do, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a link between the two.  Let us know if you find out any information, as I do have plenty of relatives with other mental issues such as depression, they could all be linked as many mental problems are supposedly genetic.
Take care and I hope you find some answers,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »
Vickie ~

Yes.  I had an uncle who suffered from schizophrenia (and was institutionalized in his later years) and an aunt who suffered with depression.  They were both on my mother's side of the family and are both long since deceased.  However, I know of no evidence pointing to mental disorders and cortisol levels being linked to the development of an acoustic neuroma.  I believe the suspected cause has been determined to be the lack of a genetic component, but I cannot guarantee that information.  It seems that there is no end to the possibilities offered for the growth of an acoustic neuroma, including power lines, cell phone usage and even diet.  I sympathize with those seeking answers and with them, possible methods of stopping or diminishing the prevalence of ANs but I believe, in many cases, it can become the proverbial 'wild goose chase'.  However, I offer you my family history with mental illness  (I can be a bit neurotic at times, but I'm not psychotic) in the hope that it may be useful in some small way.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:37 pm »
When I was a child (just under four years old) my six-year-old brother, two-year-old sister and I were struck by lightning. Not directly, but the lightning hit a telephone pole and rolled down in a ball to the ground where it knocked all three of us unconscious for a short time.                     

As adults, my brother is schizophrenic, my sister has migranes and I developed left side hemifacial spasm - three different neurological disorders. My younger brother, who was an infant and in the house, has no neurological problems.

Makes you wonder.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sues1953

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:18:16 am »
Yes my fathers sister was schizophrenic, this is very interesting.
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

moe

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:15:10 am »
Interesting especially SARA's case!

Sometimes I FEEL schizophrenic but never diagnosed :D

My mother was diagnosed "manic depressive" and was in psych hosp couple of times, but that was before PROZAC was discovered.
We think she just had realll bad PMS ???

I have suffered from mood swings with PMS (new diagnoses for the record is PMDD-pre menstrual disease disorder) ever since I was young adult. ???

Don't know if that increases cortisol.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:08 am »
Nope for me too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »
older sister has schizophrenia with early onset in preteen years
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

iluuvpups

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »
No schizophrenia in my family for which I'm aware.  However, there is a lot of depression, some OCD, one cousin with bipolar, and one cousin with Aspergers.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
I find this very interesting.  I was diagnosed bipolar after my AN surgery...................never knew I was even remotely depressed until then.  I was always on a manic high until the surgery, which caused a huge crash.  Meds make all of the difference in the world, but it also explains a lot too.  I can't wait to read what others have to say on this.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »
Brenda -

couldn't you have just been depressed by your outcome post op?  I know I was very depressed by my SSD.  That didn't go away until the day I was approved for my BAHA surgery.

Depression can be quite common after AN treatment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 09:58:49 pm »
I think I have had manic depressive periods for many years ...since surgery they come more often and the swings are wider
sometimes I know and take care of it and sometimes until I hit a wall and stop functioning I don't see it coming

something new over last year or so has been a few OCD things that I am dealing with with the help of my PCP ... I think my
biggest problem is I am a control freak as far as my personal self ... don't have to control others or try to make their actions
fit my wants
the AN and subsequent surgery was largely out of my control and it tossed me for a loop ... the OCD things I do add a little bit
of something I have total control over
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

kenneth_k

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:37:34 am »
I have an older brother who is schizophrenic. Personally, I have no psyciatric disorders that I know of ;)
I do feel kind of down and stressed out sometimes, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Best regards, Kenneth

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 07:23:26 am »
My oldest son is schizophrenic. However, I am pretty familiar with his case and I am more of the opinion it is linked to environmental and other factors prior to me getting custody of him.

On the other hand, one of the stickers on my truck says, "I play banjo to silence the voices in my head."

It's after the one saying "Brain surgery survivor."

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.