Author Topic: "What amazing balance you have"  (Read 7323 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
"What amazing balance you have"
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »
Hello All...long time no post....somewhat embarassed by my long absence. thought i'd share this with all of you though...especially those that are struggling with balance issues.

I had a unique opportunity to try a new propulsion system for standup paddleboarding tonight. It looks like the handle for an old lawn mower extending through a hole in the board and is attached to a foil (think whales tail) under the board. I watched as a bunch of folks tried it out...most were newbies and falling frequently. The new contraption was fast...so fast it could toss you off the back of the board. The prototype was on some older boards that are somewhat notorious for being a bit tippy, not exactly friendly to the balance challenged big guy. When I finally got my chance I was thinking this should at least be amusing for those watching. I was pleasantly surprised though...not only did I not fall but I had it flying across the water. When I came in I was talking to some of the folks on the beach and had someone say "What amazing balance you have"....all I could do was smile..... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: "What amazing balance you have"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »
Hi, Bob - and welcome back!

Congratulations on your balance feat - and thanks for giving those with post-op balance problems hope and inspiration.  Well done!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:54:12 am »
Congratulations on your balance feat !!!    It goes to show -  you can't become a coach patato... and if you work at it.... you can do anything a "normal" 2 ear person can do !!

with all the hot weather ... I'm taking to kayaking at night ... yea, it was very tippy at first ... I feel more tippy now on dry land at night than I do on the water.... I would assume because I've spent more time on the water (at night) than on dry land !!!      

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:57:39 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:17:02 am »
Good to see you back, Bob.

You DO have amazing balance!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:49:27 am »
Bob,

I just figured we hadn't heard from you in a while because you haven't figured out how to take your computer into the water with you!   :D  In this heat lately, that's the only place to be.

Glad you had a successful new adventure.  How embarrassing it would have been for those other tippy folks to know who they were up against!

Water is helping my balance along too.  I can manage to hold onto my 4 year old in the waves without falling over or losing her in the undertow.  And she likes to be out in the big waves, so it's a bit more of a challenge, especially for those of us who are not very tall.   It is a great workout for the legs though trying to stay upright!

Can't wait to hear what you try next!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:30:27 pm »
Totally awesome!!

:)Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:56:55 pm »
WHOO - HOO !!!  Way to go !!!   Geuss what ?  I went body surfing on Long Beach, NY last week - the hardest part was getting through the shallow water.  WHOO - HOO FOR BOTH OF US !!    Always good thoughts,   Nancy  ;-D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:58:27 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
Having just been to the shore - where the undertow left me struggling to get out of the water and walking like a drunken sailor when I eventually did - I have to say I have a whole new appreciation of just how amazing Bob's balance is  ;D

Sounds like NancyAnn is right there with him  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:03 am »
Hey, Bob!  Nice to hear from you...and, as always, sharing some very amazing and positive news for all here!  No excuses for any of us, right!  Really sounds like fun 8)

And, Jan and Nancyann, I know what you mean about the shallow water in the ocean - that's the toughest part.  I had the hardest time getting out of the water and back on the sand - very strange :o

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:17 pm »
For some strange reason I had an issue this year; didn't have it two years ago at the same beach.

I actually couldn't get out of the water at one point.  A man standing on the shore figured out that I was "stuck" and literally gave me a hand so I could drag myself out.  Not a very graceful exit by any means  :D  After that I only ventured into the ocean when the waves were nice and slow.

Jan

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »
Laughing at the shallow water problems...even I have that problem....no bouyancy from being deeper but you still have heavy water sloshing around from the knees down and you have to deal with sloping soft sand....I have problems there too.....especially with a 12' board on my shoulder. I've completely fallen over backwards a couple times....provides lots of laughs for the folks on the beach.... ;D
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 10:53:58 am »
So, Bob, have to ask - how do you deal with the undertow when exiting the ocean?

I found if I ran out of the water - lifting my knees high - it helped immensely. 

Jan

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
I try and time my exits with the waves.....stand still and brace when the undertow is pulling on you...move when the wave is helping.

Rc Moser

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:00:01 am »
Have to ask? did they remove the 8th crainal nerve (vestibulocohlear auditory)(semicircular canal)?  For some of use that had rather large tumors for years and the removal of the 8th nerve any uneven, circlular, movement around us type motion is not good  :( :( (heck I get dizzy and sick in walmart with just all the people movement around me :-[) If you have your 8th nerve on the affected side then there would be good chance you balance would not be affected. If you had you 8th nerve removed then WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you  indeed are very special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and very lucky to have great balance! either way glad to hear you are doing good!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:06:23 am by Rc Moser »
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »
Yup....everything is gone...replaced with fat graft. I think my success is in large part about retraining my system to be visual instead of vestibular but I've found that even in the dark its better than it was before standup. I'm very fortunate.