Author Topic: does wii help balance?  (Read 4694 times)

Karen4639

does wii help balance?
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Anyone try any games on the wii that has helped balance? Which games have been helpful? I don't have one but could borrow one.
Karen
translab 7/13/10
2.5cm AN removed
facial paralysis on AN side and balance issues

Lizard

Re: does wii help balance?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:45:48 am »
I know that people use Wii fit to help with vestibular therapy.  Yoga would probably be quite a challenge.  I'm pretty sure people have have seen results with its use.
Go for it!
Liz

PS do a search on Wii and read through them, there have been many discussions about it.
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:50:52 am »
Hi, Karen!  There are a number of threads with Wii Fit discussions for balance.  Here are a couple you can check out:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11166.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7450.0

Everyone seems to love it!  I used one for a bit post surgery and found it helpful...and fun!

Let us know if you try it out and how you like it.

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »
I used the downhill ski.  It will measure your improvement, and that is encouraging.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:29:43 pm »
Karen

After going to a class on balance at the suggestion of the physical therapist I purchased the WII and WII fit which has many differest balance games.  For me it has seemed help.  I think there are about 9 different games which helps you from getting bored with any.  The WII can also be used for aerobics and of course there are many games from golfing to ping pong which are fun.

Overall for me it was a good investment

TJ

moe

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 07:13:21 pm »
I still use my WII, love it!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:03:44 am »
I think most all the games with Wii Fitness help, especially the balance games. There are a couple of caveats though:

1) These are still games. This is not to dismiss the concept, but to remind that success and improvement are still tied to game play and if you stop using it for three months like I did, your initial lack of success does not need to indicate your balance has declined. To my assessment mine had not, despite what may Wii age or scores currently show, more often than not.

2) Primarily the games are geared to a "fine" balance control because of the size of the balance board. Not quite the same as walking. Because of this, I recommend using the Wii Sports games like bowling, golf, and tennis that help develop more gross kinds of balance and coordination.

Overall, I really think it helped me and still does.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

suz

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 03:46:14 pm »
I don't know if it helps my balance but Wii is definitely more fun than standing one foot in front of the other with my eye closed, and other similar tortures :) that my physical therapist has me do. Kidding aside, I find that certain balance games on Wii( like the bubble-girl) give me a queezy feeling while doing them  so it must be challenging my vestibular system. And I find myself more motivated to do the balance stuff over and over because I want to improve my score - or beat my sons' scores.
Would I buy it just for the balance games? No, don't think so. We had it - I mean my kids!
Suz
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:37:45 pm »
I bought one just before surgery, to try and get in shape, interesting after surgery the Wii noticed I was now relying on my sight for balance.  Heard Sony playstation are coming out with their own version at the end of the year.

2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.