Author Topic: Dr. Lederman at Radiosurgery NY  (Read 17102 times)

oceansorcas

Dr. Lederman at Radiosurgery NY
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »
For those near the East Coast of the U.S., you may want to consider Dr. Gil Lederman at Radiosurgery NY:  212-246-4237.  Dr. Lederman was a pioneer in FSR for AN and probably has the largest and longest experience.  I haven't had contact with Lederman for years but he successfully treated my small unilateral AN with FSR ten years ago.  Today my health is great and I can hear at least as well as I could prior to FSR.  I believe another advantage is that he uses 5 treatments of 4 or 5 Gy, so that you will probably be done in 1-2 weeks. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dr. Lederman at Radiosurgery NY
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03:46 am »
Ocean -

thanks for the info.  From other posts I've read on the Forum, it seems that Dr. Lederman is somewhat controversial.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience with him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

johnsather

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:59:25 am »
I also went to Dr. L in 2002. but at SIUH in Staten Island.  Tumor has been successfully stopped so far after just about 10 years, but I wasn't able to keep hearing in the left ear.  He was very helpful, and the experience was far better than any surgical option for me, at least.

florida

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »
 I too went to Dr Lederman and Dr Silverman at Staten Island Hospital in 2001 about 11 years ago and have had no problems with regrowth. Hearing about the same 95% lost  as before  Balance is good bad  depending on the day same as before

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:38 am »
Jan,

I agree with you, I too have learned that Dr. Lederman is controversial, as I live in Staten Island, I am aware that he no longer practices at Staten Island University Hospital and has not for some time.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:02 am »
Yes he is controversial in how he tried to get patients and what he had promised some where there was no hope but he is still very good with the FSR treatments for benign tumors and now works in NY.  Of course the biggest controversy was with the treatment of George Harrison and his guitar he just over stepped his medical boundaries and made wrong choices in his personal life.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

sam203040

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »
The way Olivia behaved with Gil Lederman did not make any sense to me. What was the harm if Gil took an autograph, or talk about Late George Harrison in front of the Media? Was she jealous or any other intentions she was having in her mind for charging Gil Lederman $10 million?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:29:06 pm »
The way Olivia behaved with Gil Lederman did not make any sense to me. What was the harm if Gil took an autograph, or talk about Late George Harrison in front of the Media? Was she jealous or any other intentions she was having in her mind for charging Gil Lederman $10 million?

Dr. Lederman was accused by Olivia Harrison of using his medical connection to a dying George Harrison to shamelessly promote his FSR treatments, claiming that he and George were practically soul mates when, in fact, George Harrison was on heavy medication and near death.  At that point, Dr. Lederman visited George in his rented house near Staten Island hospital with his 3 kids in tow for a friendly 'house call'.  That ended up with Lederman's son playing a Yamaha guitar for George and, according to the lawsuit Olivia Harrison filed, practically bullying the weak and medicated Harrison into signing it.  Dr. Lederman was apparently all over TV and radio shows plugging his FSR treatment for cancer patients and using his association with the former Beatle, George Harrison, as a way to be interviewed and promote his treatment.  Apparently, Olivia was furious that this doctor, who couldn't save her husband's life (his lung cancer had metastasized into his brain) had manipulated a dying man, desperate for a 'cure', into signing a guitar that made it very valuable and, more important, using her deceased husband as a prop to promote his FSR cancer treatment.  The State Board of Professional Medical Conduct fined and censured Lederman for revealing too much about his patient.  He was replaced as Director of Radiation Oncology at Staten Island hospital.  To settle the Olivia Harrison lawsuit, Lederman agreed to relinquish the autographed guitar (the Harrison estate replaced it with a non-autographed instrument) and cease talking to the media about George Harrison.

Since then, (late 2001) Lederman has secured another position and has been sued by a half-dozen Italian patients that came to the U.S. for his 'miracle cure' for cancer (FSR).  He is arrogant and controversial, to put it mildly.  Lederman has since claimed that Olivia Harrison was jealous of the time he spent with George Harrison in the weeks before his death.  Since George and Olivia Harrison were married for 23 years at the time of George's illness and Dr. Lederman had convinced George that he could stop his cancer with FSR (he couldn't), I can understand why Harrisons widow might have been disgusted with Gil Lederman and his exploitation of her now-dead husband.  The 10 million dollar lawsuit was simply a way to pry the autographed guitar from Ledeman and stop him from using her dead husband as a prop to sell his cancer treatment.  Olivia Harrison hardly needed the money, her husband was worth 400 million when he died and, without knowing what his will stated, I'm pretty sure that his widow and son were left the bulk of his estate. 

Whatever one thinks of Dr. Ledermans medical prowess, he has demonstrated that he is a shameless self-promoter who may be brilliant in his field but has very poor social skills.  Many doctors suffer from the same problem but Lederman's penchant for publicity makes him far more noticeable - and vulnerable.  Patient confidentially is a sacred part of medical practice and Dr. Lederman stepped over the line in the case of George Harrison.  Olivia Harrison was well within her rights to sue Lederman and his claim that she was 'jealous' of Ledermans time spent with George indicates arrogance and insensitivity that seems to define the doctor and tends to overshadow his work with cancer patients, many of whom die despite his claims.  Dr. Lederman has been sued numerous times and has lost some of those suits.  He over-promises results that he cannot deliver and gives desperate terminal cancer patients false hope.  He has some successes but patients expect miracles and Lederman is only too happy to offer them.  When his treatment fails, his patients die and family are upset.  I don't blame them. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 06:06:34 am »

Dr. Lederman was accused by Olivia Harrison of using his medical connection to a dying George Harrison to shamelessly promote his FSR treatments, claiming that he and George were practically soul mates when, in fact, George Harrison was on heavy medication and near death.  At that point, Dr. Lederman visited George in his rented house near Staten Island hospital with his 3 kids in tow for a friendly 'house call'.  That ended up with Lederman's son playing a Yamaha guitar for George and, according to the lawsuit Olivia Harrison filed, practically bullying the weak and medicated Harrison into signing it.  Dr. Lederman was apparently all over TV and radio shows plugging his FSR treatment for cancer patients and using his association with the former Beatle, George Harrison, as a way to be interviewed and promote his treatment.  Apparently, Olivia was furious that this doctor, who couldn't save her husband's life (his lung cancer had metastasized into his brain) had manipulated a dying man, desperate for a 'cure', into signing a guitar that made it very valuable and, more important, using her deceased husband as a prop to promote his FSR cancer treatment.  The State Board of Professional Medical Conduct fined and censured Lederman for revealing too much about his patient.  He was replaced as Director of Radiation Oncology at Staten Island hospital.  To settle the Olivia Harrison lawsuit, Lederman agreed to relinquish the autographed guitar (the Harrison estate replaced it with a non-autographed instrument) and cease talking to the media about George Harrison.

Since then, (late 2001) Lederman has secured another position and has been sued by a half-dozen Italian patients that came to the U.S. for his 'miracle cure' for cancer (FSR).  He is arrogant and controversial, to put it mildly.  Lederman has since claimed that Olivia Harrison was jealous of the time he spent with George Harrison in the weeks before his death.  Since George and Olivia Harrison were married for 23 years at the time of George's illness and Dr. Lederman had convinced George that he could stop his cancer with FSR (he couldn't), I can understand why Harrisons widow might have been disgusted with Gil Lederman and his exploitation of her now-dead husband.  The 10 million dollar lawsuit was simply a way to pry the autographed guitar from Ledeman and stop him from using her dead husband as a prop to sell his cancer treatment.  Olivia Harrison hardly needed the money, her husband was worth 400 million when he died and, without knowing what his will stated, I'm pretty sure that his widow and son were left the bulk of his estate. 

Whatever one thinks of Dr. Ledermans medical prowess, he has demonstrated that he is a shameless self-promoter who may be brilliant in his field but has very poor social skills.  Many doctors suffer from the same problem but Lederman's penchant for publicity makes him far more noticeable - and vulnerable.  Patient confidentially is a sacred part of medical practice and Dr. Lederman stepped over the line in the case of George Harrison.  Olivia Harrison was well within her rights to sue Lederman and his claim that she was 'jealous' of Ledermans time spent with George indicates arrogance and insensitivity that seems to define the doctor and tends to overshadow his work with cancer patients, many of whom die despite his claims.  Dr. Lederman has been sued numerous times and has lost some of those suits.  He over-promises results that he cannot deliver and gives desperate terminal cancer patients false hope.  He has some successes but patients expect miracles and Lederman is only too happy to offer them.  When his treatment fails, his patients die and family are upset.  I don't blame them. 

Jim   

Just had to say Wow Jim you covered it all everytime I see his name mentioned I cringe I live here on the Island and knew this first hand small Island glad you put it all out there may be a brilliant doctor but to give false hope where there is none is unacceptable along with taking advantage of anyone being a celebrity or not....I posted here almost a year ago someone from his office I think posted something and I might still have it in my inbox and I alerted ANA might be a solicitation from his office to try and get some of us to visit his office now in NY...

Best Wishes,

Pat

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 06:14:29 am »

This another post from his office??

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 03:41:23 pm »
Just had to say Wow Jim you covered it all everytime I see his name mentioned I cringe I live here on the Island and knew this first hand small Island glad you put it all out there may be a brilliant doctor but to give false hope where there is none is unacceptable along with taking advantage of anyone being a celebrity or not....I posted here almost a year ago someone from his office I think posted something and I might still have it in my inbox and I alerted ANA might be a solicitation from his office to try and get some of us to visit his office now in NY...

Best Wishes,

Pat

Thanks, Pat. 

The facts about Dr. Lederman, his 'miracle' radiation 'cures' and his shameful manipulation of the dying and desperate George Harrison are easily found on the internet.  His supporters can say what they want but the truth is always the best weapon against mendacity and attempts to mislead the public and put a happy face on things that should be an embarrassment to folks like Doctor Gil Lederman.

The ANA doesn't recommend specific doctors for AN patients and in the case of Gil Lederman, I would emphatically stress 'caveat emptor' - let the buyer beware.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mickey

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 07:21:00 pm »
Nice post Jim! I spoke to this same Dr. who was very eagarly ready to to cure me. I did my homework... "BUYER BEWARE" written all over it.  Over six years later I`m doing fine W+W. Maybe certain things happen for a reason? Best wishes, Mickey