Author Topic: BAHA abutment  (Read 5074 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
BAHA abutment
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »
I know the implant is embedded in the skull. How is the abutment attached to the titanium implant?

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA abutment
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »
It is screwed in to your head.

Here's the link to the Baha surgery video.  It's about one hour long.

Warning, video may contain graphics and viewer discretion is advised.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

james e

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »
Can the implant  be implanted now and the abutment installed at a later date when the bone is healed?

Kencutus

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »
Can the implant  be implanted now and the abutment installed at a later date when the bone is healed?

Yes, it can.  They do it for children who has to wait 6 months before they can get their Baha sound processor.  They call it a two step process for children and people with weak bone structure that requires longer healing time.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »
Can the implant  be implanted now and the abutment installed at a later date when the bone is healed?

Yes, it can.  They do it for children who has to wait 6 months before they can get their Baha sound processor.  They call it a two step process for children and people with weak bone structure that requires longer healing time.

Thanks, Ken. 

I did not know this.

My implant and abutment were "installed" at the same time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:25:07 am »
Mine was installed like that. It seems like the implant and the abutment are usually kept at the hospital where I had my surgery, but not the sound processor. The approval from my insurance company was a last moment approval, and they only had the implant available. They implanted the post , so I will be going back in July to the get the abutment installed. My scalp was closed over the implant. I'll go back on July 6 for audio evaluation, and on July 7 I'll get the skin prep and abutment installed. It will be a great 4th of July weekend for me!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »
Mine was installed like that. It seems like the implant and the abutment are usually kept at the hospital where I had my surgery, but not the sound processor.

This seems very strange to me.  In fact, I've never heard of it.  I can't understand why you'd want to let the scalp close up and then cut a hole in it later  ???  Kind of adds another unnecessary "surgery" to the whole process.

My abutment was screwed onto my implant during my BAHA surgery.  My doc cut a hole in the flap of scalp that he lifted up to "install" the titanium rod into my skull and just put the abutment on.  After that he stitched the skin flap down.

My processor (device) was in a box from Cochlear that my doc had in the OR, but wisely didn't give to me until 90 days post op.  I'm sure he realized I'd be tempted to try it out long before he gave me the okay to start wearing it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kencutus

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 01:20:29 pm »
Mine was installed like that. It seems like the implant and the abutment are usually kept at the hospital where I had my surgery, but not the sound processor.

This seems very strange to me.  In fact, I've never heard of it.  I can't understand why you'd want to let the scalp close up and then cut a hole in it later  ???  Kind of adds another unnecessary "surgery" to the whole process.

My abutment was screwed onto my implant during my BAHA surgery.  My doc cut a hole in the flap of scalp that he lifted up to "install" the titanium rod into my skull and just put the abutment on.  After that he stitched the skin flap down.

My processor (device) was in a box from Cochlear that my doc had in the OR, but wisely didn't give to me until 90 days post op.  I'm sure he realized I'd be tempted to try it out long before he gave me the okay to start wearing it.

Jan

Jan,

I got this from my BAHA surgery manual that I downloaded a while back and it reads,

"Two-stage surgery is carried out on:
• Children
• Patients with irradiated bone
• Patients undergoing Acoustic Neuroma removal concurrent with implant placement
• Patients with poor bone quality"

So it could be why James' surgery is a two step process.  Everyone is different in this case.  I hope this clears it up. 

James,

Hospital does get your sound processor delivered to them along with your surgical package.  Then the hospital either sends your processor or your doctor takes it to the audio office after the surgery until activation time.

ombrerose4

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:54:57 pm »
It does sound strange, but then as we all know there are so many different facets of having an AN. We are all different and I guess the docs know best. And by the way Jan, would you believe I have had the BAHA box in my drawer for the past 3 months and have never even opened it. I guess I am kind of a goody 2 shoes, lol!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

james e

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:58:17 pm »
We did not know until the day before my AN surgery that I would be getting the BAHA. They stock some implants and abutments at the hospital. As it turns out,  they were out of the abutments, but he had a titanium post, so he installed that as long as I already going to be in surgery. I suppose I'll get the abutment from the kit when it comes in, and the implant will go into their inventory. Any way, it all worked out. I am ready for July to get here.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »
I got this from my BAHA surgery manual that I downloaded a while back and it reads,

• Children
• Patients undergoing Acoustic Neuroma removal concurrent with implant placement

I recall at least one other person on the forum mentioning this "two-stage surgery" technique -- i.e., the implant was done at the time of AN surgery and he/she had to go back later for the abutment installation.

I am very thankful that House did the AN surgery, BAHA implant AND abutment all at the same time. Sure made my life a whole lot easier!!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 05:28:47 pm »
Ken -

thanks for the clarification.  My doc doesn't do the "combo" surgery so that explains why I got all my "parts" during my implant surgery.  Although from Catherine's post it sounds like some docs who do the combo don't do the two-step procedure.  To each his own, I guess.

Lauren -

you are definitely a better woman than I am.  Although there was a time, many moons ago, when I was called a goody two-shoes by many.  My father was the mayor of the town I grew up in from the time I was 5 until the time I was 17.  After that he served in the Illinois House of Representatives, so there was a huge amount of pressure to be good. 

I think my doc holds onto the processors of all his BAHA recipients, but I am confident if he didn't he would have considered me a special case and held onto mine.  I think it's pretty evident to him that I'm somewhat of a rebel who likes to buck authority and he knows how much I adored the demo and couldn't wait for the real thing.  So in essence, he saved me from myself  :D

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 12:25:14 pm »
Lauren,

I was also given my BAHA the day of my surgery but I wasn't entirely a good two shoes.  Dr. Choe had given the box containing the BAHA and materials from Cochlear to Rob and when he (Dr.C)ter I was in came to check on me after I was in recovery, he found me trying to open the box.  I was kind of embarrassed, but he just laughed and opened the box for me and said he should have known I would do that.   :D  However, he did know that once my curiosity was satisfied that I would wait for the three month healing period to be over and he was right.  It was worth the wait!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

grega

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 02:06:19 pm »
Hi all .... re this quote:

• Children

The first 3 items are understandable, but, gee, I'm curious about the 4th ..... who would know  ???  Would the doc determine this after he has his B&D drill all charged up .... and you're draped all over the baha-op table? 

And Jan, with the abutment screwed into the implant, does that make it uncomfortable sleeping during the 3 months of healing?

Thanks,
Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:12 pm »
And Jan, with the abutment screwed into the implant, does that make it uncomfortable sleeping during the 3 months of healing?

No, at least it didn't for me.

Jan