Author Topic: I have a date with Dr. Jack Kartush....YaHoooooo  (Read 5616 times)

sues1953

I have a date with Dr. Jack Kartush....YaHoooooo
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Finally I can rest  :).  I met Dr. Kartush yesterday at Michigan Ear Institute and feel very confident that he is the best Dr. to do my surgery.  He was VERY sure that we were dealing with an AN and not a Meningioma and Translab with be the approach.  The date is set for May 20th and I feel like a 2 ton weight has been lifted.

Thank you all for your undying support I don't think I could have done it without you  :-*

I have a very positive attitude for a great outcome.

Jim put me on that calendar  ;D

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: I have a date with Dr. Jack Kartush....YaHoooooo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:45:38 pm »
Sue ~

Congratulations!  Your positive attitude will serve you well.  Oh, and you're on the AN Treatment Calendar!  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d20/05/2010?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:47:39 pm »
Sue -

I am ecstatic to hear this  ;D

Congrats on the big date.  You'll be in very good hands.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »
Oh yeah Sue, I'm glad you felt comfortable with him and got it all taken care of!   ;D

How did the testing go?  Did he get to give you any results?   I was wondering if the hearing or ABR was worse and that is why translab, OR the fact  that it is a bit bigger tumer and that would be the best surgical type for the tumor size.

Yahooo...I'm glad for you to get one decision out of the way!!!

Wishing you the best, still feel free to call ANYTIME!
Denise S (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

sues1953

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:28:40 am »
Yes I had all the tests before I saw Dr. Kartush, I got copies of all of them but I left them in the office and they are mailing them to me.  I do know that my hearing has been
only slightly affected on my AN side high pitched tones, thinking that's the tinnitis, word recognition and the rest of the hearing was perfect.  The facial nerve test actually showed more reaction on the AN side than the good side, that was so weird they put me through the test again with the same result.  I have absolutely no balance on the AN side and they told me that actually that will serve me well after surgery because my left side has already compensated so I won't be so dizzy.  I'm not so sure about the ABR I think it was unimpressive but I will read it after I get it in the mail.

Dr. Kartush is a very personable man, he took all the time I needed to make sure all my questions were answered.  He was straight forward in discussing the surgery approach and actually said that he would not do Retro Sigmoid and if that's what I wanted I would have to go elsewhere.  It makes me sad that I will be SSD with my hearing being so good but I understand that no matter which approach  my hearing will more than likely be lost because of the size of the tumor.

I found it very interesting that they are doing some endoscopic surgery on smaller AN's and under the right circumstances.  I do believe that will be the wave of the future.

Thanks Jan for your support, and thanks Jim for adding me to the calendar, Denise it was so great talking with you last night I feel like I have known you forever  :)  I know I answered your questions but posted them in case anyone else was interested.

Hey is there any chance Carol Ann (iluvpups) and I can get the "Magic Scarf"?  I am scheduled the week before her, same Dr. same Hospital.  I am sure that I will be home before she has her surgery but I can pass it along.

Sue
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:44:03 am »
I enjoyed talking with you TOO and so comforting like we have known each other for a long time :-)

I read the post where it sounds like you guys will get the magic scarf and I hope it does it's MAGIC for you both!   Be sure you get pictures with it and post them on the magic scarf post on this site!!! 

Take care & hope you have a little relax time!   (call ANYTIME)

Wishing you and CarolAnn the BEST!!!  You are in good hands!
Denise
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:59:33 am »
The day I made my decision was a HUGE day for me, and it sounds like it was a big one for you. The time will fly by quickly.

Mei Mei

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »
It's your countdown week, Sue and I wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you here in Maryland and sending good vibes your way for your surgery on the 20th.   I'll think of you all day and the weeks afterwards for your recovery.   REmember baby steps and the first three days out are difficult so don't get down.   Do ask for ice cream for your intubated throat once they clear you for eating.  It'll feel good on your throat.

Take care, Sue and Good luck!!!!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »
Congrats Sue from MI  ;D
Somehow I missed this thread before.
Take some deep breaths and enjoy the time you have before surgery.  Oh and if you need it my sister is a PA (Physician Assistant) and lives in Pinconning (near Saginaw Bay area) if you need some extra special care I'm sure if you are in driving distance she would be willing to lend a hand.  I know the visiting nurse thing can be annoying and they only allow a few visits most times. 
Just throwing it out there for your thoughts.  PM me if you are interested.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

sues1953

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:22 am »
Dear Mei Mei and Liz,

Thanks so much for the well wishes, prayers, and advice.  You all have been such a support these last few months I just don't know what I would have done without it.

I am at peace with  my decision, doing all the last minute things.  I am so fortunate to have family that will be at my side.  My daughter should be sending a post shortly after I am out of surgery.

Thank you all.   :)  Sue

patt

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:29:58 am »
Sue ---

Good luck to you!!    I will be thinking about you.    I am still in the decision stage of this journey.   I am going to another DR tomorrow and hope that I will be able to make my decision.   Don't you agree that this is the hardest thing.   I wish we could close our eyes and everything would go away.

Stay strong and I will be looking for your posts telling us how you are doing.

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »

Wanted to let you know how much I have been thinking & praying for you, your family, and the doctors & nurses.     I have greatly enjoyed our talks and can't wait to chat with you once you are a POSTIE  ;D    Hopefully you can enjoy your day and try to relax......Hey, this Michigan weather is finally BEAUTIFUL!!!

Also, is your daughter just posting under your screen name?  (so I make sure to find any updates)

Thinking of  &  Praying for you!!!!   
       And, Best Wishes too!!! 

Sending good vibes your way   (hey, is this going Southeast?)  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:42 am »
Best of luck on your big day, Sue.

You're in good hands. 

See you as a postie!

Best,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:31 am »
Dear Patt, Denise, and Jan,

Thanks so much for your prayers and thoughts.  I am so ready and at peace, and yes Patt making a decision has been the hardest part.  I feel my work is done, now it's up to God, the surgeons, and my body to make me well.

As I have said this has been a tremendous help to me you all are Gods Angels.

Thanks again.   Sue

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:02 am »
I am so ready and at peace

This is exactly where you want to be right now.

I was ready and at peace the day of my surgery.  My parents were freaking out, but I was calm, cool, and collected - and ready to get the show on the road.

You'll do great  ;D

Jan