Author Topic: I'm getting an occipital nerve block  (Read 52342 times)

Lizard

I'm getting an occipital nerve block
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:26:12 pm »
Hey y'all, today was a very positive day for me, which ironically came after a pretty rough weekend. I went to see another new Dr., who after a pretty thorough exam has decided to try a nerve block.  I'm so excited and hoping this will work for me, amazing what hope and positive energy can come from one visit to the right Dr.  Of course they have to go through all the insurance approvals and whatnot before I can be treated, so I probably won't have the injections until next week but what's another week in the grand scheme.

The Doc did mention that I might need 3-4 of these before I am on my way to feeling better, but he seems positive about it given my symptoms.  The best part is that if this doesn't work he tells me there are even other routes to go...he described this as "the easiest" and then we will move on to more involved therapies.  I really feel this guy is the Dr. I've been looking for and I'm hoping and praying that he can finally help me.

Thanks again for all the support!
Has anyone had these blocks?  Can you share your experiences?

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: I'm getting an occipital nerve block
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »
Liz -

I want to say that Capt. Deb had some type of nerve block for headaches, but I'm not positive.

I hope this works for you.  Please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:36 pm »
I think I remember reading about Capt Deb's block...

I'm excited to try anything and probably wouldn't even have known about it if not for her....hopefully it works for me!
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:56:28 am »
Liz,
Reading about your one kidney and bad headaches.  I'm so sorry for you but SO glad you found some help and a doctor who really cares.
Yea! :)
I think Janet in Seattle had the occipital nerve block but I have not seen her posting in like forever.
Good luck!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
Liz -

I want to say that Capt. Deb had some type of nerve block for headaches, but I'm not positive.

Botox for the headaches :)

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11011.0

Liz, I've had numerous nerve blocks on other parts of my body (none head related... had one as recent as 2 wks ago).  For me, depends on what they use for the nerve block (ie: steroids, etc).  Sorry for the pun, but a "hit or miss" in my case only..... some gave temp relief but in my case, not long lasting.  Nerve blocks evidently don't like me..... as we know, "individual results may vary" as it works great for others..... keep researching.

Hoping you are coming to the brunch 4/18. I still have you noted as a "tentative". Please keep me updated.

Hang in there.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

staypoz

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:39 am »
So glad you had a productive visit with your doctor!  Here's hoping the shots work!!

Several of us who regularly post have had nerve blocks with varying success.  But even a so-called "unsuccessful" nerve block is valuable from a diagnostic perspective.  If you don't get relief from the pain, the doctor can move to another possible source of it and treat that.     

The important thing is that you've gotten a doctor to has listened to you and is going to try to help you.  Good luck!

staypoz

moe

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »
Janet in Seattle did not have the nerve block. She had some sort of surgery.
Never mind ::)
Maureen

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
I have had about 7-8 nerve blocks in the past few years.  The first one worked so well I was able to go on vacation and go body surfing!  I feel they really helped. After the 7th or 8th one the anesthesiologist that was administering them said I needed to take a break. When I see the neurologist again in April I am going to ask him about restarting the nerve blocks.  The Botox takes care of the front of my head and hopefully the nerve blocks will relieve some of the occipital nerve pain that I have.  The drug they used on me is called Depomedrol.  It is pretty painful during the injection, but only for a few seconds.  I also had some post injection pain the next day and an ice pack helped that.

Good Luck!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Lizard

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:57 pm »
Thanks Capt Deb I knew I could count on you for some good info.
I'm going 3/31...tomorrow for it so we'll see how it goes : )
I've also heard they can do some sort of block on the facial nerve as well....which may also be an option for me as I have facial pain behind my eye too.

So excited!!!

Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

moe

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:59:43 am »
I'm going 3/31...tomorrow for it so we'll see how it goes : )
I've also heard they can do some sort of block on the facial nerve as well....which may also be an option for me as I have facial pain behind my eye too.
So excited!!!

Only on this forum are we excited about having pain inflicted to relieve pain! Good luck today  :o:) :) :)
Maureen

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:28:01 am »
Dear Everybody,
I went to my Primary Care a few weeks ago to ask if I should get a Occipital Nerve block for my Post Operative headaches and brought along the March newsletter.  He read it there in front of me and pressed hard on the occipital area to see if it would send pain up to the area where my head aches are at the top right corner of my head.   His massaging of the occipital area didn't send signals up there so he decided that the Occipital Nerve Block wouldn't help me.

That night night I had a killer head ache that even the Motrin and Tylenol couldn't touch.   Ever since then I've had a stiff neck, too.   I think it's from his massaging this area.   I've been using hydroculator pad on my neck.   

He ordered X Rays to see where the Titanium plate is and to see if it is where the head ache is.   
I'll take it to a neurologist as soon as I can get an appointment.

My Primary Care says to go back to the Neurosurgeon that did the retrosigmoid surgery but I know he has nothing to offer.

What kinds of doctors do you go to for help with your headaches and nerve blocks?

Thanks for any information.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:30:15 am »
Mei Mei,
I know its hard to find a Doctor who will listen and one who understands your surgery and the affects.  I have seen multiple neurologists and finally found one who specializes in headaches.  They will need to try mulitple methods and treatments, but hopefully will find something that works for  you.  I also see a neurosurgery group (not the ones who did the surgery, because the don't generally have aftercare) and they have an anesthesiologist on staff who did my nerve blocks. 

Do some research on those type of doctors in your area, I really hope that there is someone competent to deal with your type of head pain.

Hang in there and I wouldn't even bother with the Neurologist unless the have an after care program.

Liz

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 08:55:19 am »
Thanks, Liz for the advice.   I will start on Monday morning with my father's neuroologist at the Washington Hospital Center, a Dr. Marc Schlosberg.  He referred my father out for further diagnosis and I am hopeful that he will too with.   I am disappointed to find out that the Retrosigmoid approach is high risk for Post Op head aches.   I thought I would feel better after surgery not worse.   The goal for medicine is to heal not to make people sicker.   I feel worse now several months later.   Can't wait to be headache free.   Hope you feel better, too.

Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

pattycake

I had Trigeminal Nerve Blocks
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
As a fellow traveler in the Pain club I extend you both my deepest empathy.  I am 2 years post op, still working this battle.  Some of us are just the unlucky ones.  I have traveled the game from cure to 'living with it'. My pain doc is an Anesthesiologist - recommended by the Neuro-Otologist surgeon.  He works with lots of AN patients, every one is different.  I have been on many drug protocols - generally they try Fibromyalgia, Anti Convulsant & Anti Siezure meds.  Not terribly successful for me, the meds finally ended up making me sick so I'm basically off them.  I tried Botox, no help.  Have been through 3 different Physical Therapy sessions - they did help me. He only does Nerve Blocks once a year - 3 treatmnts 6 weeks apart.  I am in my 2nd series on the Trigeminal Nerve (I'm pretty sure) ... it does seem to be calming down the pain.  Not eliminating it, but softening it.  And he has ointments made up for me that do seem to help some.   I have lots of personal info - may not apply to you - but would be happy to share if you email me.  Most of it reflects other info already posted; details may be repetitive - but happy to be of service if you like. ;)
1.7cm x 1.4 - Surgery 3/14/08 - Meningioma
Mass General Hosp - McKenna & Barker - no facial problems
Persistent Headache pain remains

staypoz

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:47 am »
Mei, Mei, I had two occipital nerve blocks, one administered by a neurologist and one administered by a pain doctor.  Neither of them offered me any relief.  The first time I didn't get any relief, I chalked it up to the doc's not hitting the right spot.  When I didn't get any relief the second time and the shot was given by a different doc, I accepted that they weren't going to help me.  The blocks can be diagnostic tools, and my pain doctor has been giving me a different kind of block which helps manage the pain, especially in my neck and shoulders. It doesn't eliminate the pain or anything, but any relief is good relief. I can give you the doctor's name if you're interested, just pm me.

staypoz