Author Topic: Diet for headaches  (Read 14687 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Diet for headaches
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 11:03:47 pm »
keeping track of what you have eaten and headaches along with their severity is a good way to go if you have trouble sticking to the diet ... good luck
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

staypoz

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:25:52 am »
Nickittynic, the doc I was thinking of at Hopkins is David Buckholtz (sp??) who wrote a book about migraines and diet.

staypoz 

Mickey

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:53 am »
I`d like to add this bit of information. As a wait+watcher I made a big change in my diet and exercise along with many supplements. I didn`t know what caused them (maybe AN?) but used to get migranes on a pretty regular basis. As of the last year my migranes are very infrequent (sometimes just an aura with very little afterwoods). Big improvement to say the least. Best Wishes, Mickey 

lori67

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:50 am »
All I can say is "thank goodness I don't suffer from headaches"!  I truly feel for you headache sufferers out there.  If I had to give up chocolate, caffeine, bread, cheese, etc....I'd be more than grumpy - I'd probably be a homicidal maniac!

I hope all of you find something that works for you - and soon!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 02:06:54 pm »
All I can say is "thank goodness I don't suffer from headaches"!  I truly feel for you headache sufferers out there.  If I had to give up chocolate, caffeine, bread, cheese, etc....I'd be more than grumpy - I'd probably be a homicidal maniac!

I hope all of you find something that works for you - and soon!

Lori

I think of homicide daily but don't know the exact location of the office that houses the insurance idiots I talk to  >:(... I suspect that even though it is BCBS of Tennessee that the office is in Wisconsin or Indonesia so people can't find them

since I was about 4 or 5 maybe earlier I have been able to cope with pain by closing eyes and thinking of a big hand rubbing what hurt (tummy , stubbed toe , knee  etc) ...I don't know why or how it started but suspect the fact that my parents neither one had the time or maybe ability to pick up and comfort a sick or hurt child ... I never remember being held or cuddled or even hugged for that matter ...

anyway ... tooth aches and headaches I could dull but not get to ease much ... and now even less so ... I wonder if this that I now know as biofeedback would work for some of us ... I just have never had much luck with head pain but it might be something to check into or try
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

moe

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »

If I had to give up chocolate, caffeine, bread, cheese, etc....I'd be more than grumpy - I'd probably be a homicidal maniac!

You're funny Lori, as usual.
Seriously I too feel for all you headache sufferers.  I have tinnitus instead, but at least it doesn't HURT (actually sometimes it is so shrill, my left ear hurts but NOTHING like head pain or headache)

Hang in there all you headache sufferers.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mei Mei

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:46 am »
Tinnitus can be just as annoying.   It can drive you nuts.

On the other hand, diet changes can work wonders, even for tinnitus.   My ENT recommended staying away from caffeine for the tinnitus.   My daughter and now my grandson have been gluten free for several years now.   She was having headaches and eczema and so was he.   They are both much better.   I am stocking up on Gluten Free pasta and Rice cakes and going forward on the Gluten free diet.    Along with veggies, it's easy to follow.   The products they have out there are much better than a few years ago.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 12:12:36 pm »

My ENT recommended staying away from caffeine for the tinnitus.   
NO I need my caffeine coffee! I may try it just to see what happens, but the day starts out OK and it just gets louder and louder because of the noise around me.
I'm hoping that the BAHA will help some when I get it in the fall, but at this point, kind of get tired of hoping and won't get my hopes up! ::)
Maureen

Mei Mei

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 01:14:56 pm »
Maureen,
I think they've said on this site that the BAHA doesn't help with Tinnitus so please don't get your hopes up.   Do a search, but I do remember reading that several months ago when I was getting my hopes up.

Trying to stay cooooool,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »
Mei Mei,
Yep, I know about the BAHA  not helping the tinnitus. This will be my second go around.
They put the original BAHA in during the initial surgery because I knew I was going to lose the hearing.
The thing wasn't working well, the tinnitus got in the way, I had skin infection at the site, and the device wasn't working properly! Even after being "fixed."

So i said i don't want it, can we get rid of it temporarily. He basically just unscrewed the abutment and that was that. It's been a couple of years, and I'm willing to try it again, because he said there is a new one they are using, which "might" help with the tinnitus, and he believes it's worth a try. I'm going to Madigan Army Med Ctr in Tacoma, and it is free (I am so blessed- don't have to haggle with the insurance). So I figure what the heck, but am definitely not getting my hope up >:(
All we can do it hope and pray, but the praying part hasn't helped!
Stay cooooool,
Maureen

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
Mei Mei,
Yep, I know about the BAHA  not helping the tinnitus. This will be my second go around.
They put the original BAHA in during the initial surgery because I knew I was going to lose the hearing.
The thing wasn't working well, the tinnitus got in the way, I had skin infection at the site, and the device wasn't working properly! Even after being "fixed."

So i said i don't want it, can we get rid of it temporarily. He basically just unscrewed the abutment and that was that. It's been a couple of years, and I'm willing to try it again, because he said there is a new one they are using, which "might" help with the tinnitus, and he believes it's worth a try. I'm going to Madigan Army Med Ctr in Tacoma, and it is free (I am so blessed- don't have to haggle with the insurance). So I figure what the heck, but am definitely not getting my hope up >:(
All we can do it hope and pray, but the praying part hasn't helped!
Stay cooooool,
Maureen

Hey Maureen, do you know if it is the BP 100?   There was a Cochlear Rep at my demo appt. (because it was with a doctor just starting) and I asked her and she said 'some' say it may help a litt.   The help part is actually probably getting some 'sound' on the SSD side helps mask the tinnitus.   I also have had a couple people say they felt the same way.   So, best wishes.
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 06:46:08 pm »
Maureen, You sound like you're torturing yourself with your persistence with the BAHA.   I would have given up by now with all you have been through with it.   I just don't have the stomach for it:  Infections, hair involvement that I've read about.   It makes me nervous just reading about you having to go back and take it off.  I'm gun shy.   Now you want to go back for more???   I would go the non surgical route like the new Sonitus coming out in Sept and the TransEar that the users seem to like.   Going back for more sounds like self torture. 

Really, Maureen,  Think about it...Please...   I know you can make your own choices but but you explained a failure so clearly.   I would be wary as good as Cochlear is, I'd hate to be cutting on my head too often.   You have to be conservative at times.   My only wish is that you be careful, that's all.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

moe

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
Hi Mei Mei and Susan,
I can't remember the name of the new BAHA, but my neurotologist said it is smaller and flatter, (and is the one they have access to at Madigan Army Med Ctr). I'll ask him next time we meet.

And Mei Mei, no worries ;) I already have the titanium implant in the skull, so basically he just has to screw the new abutment into the site, and then I think I have to wait to use it, like I did the first one. It can even be done in the clinic. I have been encouraged to try it again by 2 doctors now.

I'm a little work in progress, (very slow progress), so when i get my eye tightened up in the fall, he can screw it in at that time. Thanks for caring though! I am  being tortured with the deafness and tinnitus though!

Persistence is the name of the game, and my road has been quite interesting, since all this AN stuff happened while my husband and I were geographically separated with the Navy. So my care has been in TX, WA, and multiple civilian and military hospitals.
It's all coming together (I hope) and I'm determined not to give up hope. That's what keeps me going I guess. Plus I'm a nurse, I'm a glutton for punishment!

Hope you two ladies are feeling better this week... :-*
Maureen

moe

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:51 pm »
woah I just realized this is a major hijack! Went from diet to baha

Mei Mei

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 09:07:29 am »
Yes, stay on topic ladies!!!!   This is a Headache Forum.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo