Author Topic: I'm getting an occipital nerve block  (Read 52512 times)

Mei Mei

Re: I'm getting an occipital nerve block
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 10:43:33 pm »
Well friends,  Thanks for writing back.  I've got my head and neck packed on ice.   It's really numb and stiff.   I signed a release before the shots and at the top was titled  Occipital Nerve Block.  I got several shots of steroids with lidoicaine...about 6 to 7 along the neck and occipital area.   I am at the airport in Tiapei waiting for a flight to Beiging.  Don't know whatto tell my aunt whether I should get more accummcptuere whle I am there.   My neck is so stiff and numb.  I put ice on it every night.  It's hard living like this.   Want to move on with things.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

staypoz

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:25 am »
Hi, Mei Mei.  Hang in there.  Sometimes it takes a while to find what works.  And give yourself some credit.  Not too many people would have undertaken such a long trip so soon after surgery.

Safe travels.

staypoz

Mei Mei

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 11:52:08 pm »
Thanks!   I got a bad headache last night, so my aunt arranged for an accupuncture doctor to come to the room this morning and for the next three days until I leave.  She said the skull and neck are all hard and it should take a year for this to resolve.   Talk to you later!

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 03:27:25 pm »
Mei Mei,
I don't think the block that you received in the acupuncturist office is the same as the one I received in the anesthesiologist office.  Scroll up to Capt Deb's comment..I think there is a difference.  I was also talking to someone else on the forum who I met out at lunch and she's doing the blocks at her pain management Dr's office, and the way she described the blocks she's getting is totally different.  Its almost like they're just putting some type of steroid in her in multiple spots, like quick little pokes, sort of like a botox injection would be like.  Mine was one big shot that blocked the entire nerve in one shot....see what the anesthesiologist says, hopefully they can help.

Hang in there honey, there will be relief I promise...but it does take a while to figure out what works for you  :)
Liz

Occipital nerve blocks are done with DEPO-MEDROL in one injection in the greater occipital nerve and one in the lesser occipital nerve.  If you are getting multiple injections you are probably getting trigger point injections of mostly lidocaine and some corticosteroid.  There is a big difference in these two procedures in the efficiency and duration of relief.  I had TPI's to give me some temporary relief until the new meds kicked in.  I had ONB's when none of the meds seemed to work.  Do some research on these procedures before you have them.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2010, 04:38:15 am »
Hi Deb,
I just got home last night.   You're right.   What I got on July 1 was steroid and lidocaine.   It had no effect on me AT ALL.   I still have a lump on my head.   Have an appt on Monday with the Anetthesiologist at 0 alm.   Still am having headaches.   Had Accupuncture for the last four days in Beijing.   Headaches on the airplane.   Another this morning.   The doctor there said not to use ice but heat.   I got some Chinese stuff to rub on and will use that.  My Aunt told me to take B-1 and B-12  and to take injections of that.  She is a doctor.  They told me to use heat compresses instead.   Big believers in heat.   Tolld me to use a Bone comb and comb 50 times a day on the AN side.

Take care.   Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 01:32:03 pm »
I just got back from the Physical Therapist and she said that PT is not going to help the big lump along my neck and it is not going to go away for a year if ever.   I'm really down from this news.   She and the accupuncturist said it is scar tissue, but I didn't have surgery there.   I don't understand.   I am going to see the anesthesiologist on Monday.   I don't know if injections will break up the lump in my neck and occipital area, but have hopes.   She said to ask the neurologist and that more would resolve in a year.  Jim had said this about the nerves in the scalp and the feeling of pins and needles.  I guess its the same for the neck and occipital area, but from what I read from you people, it can take longer.  The lump in my neck doesn't hurt or effect the range of motion but it's just there and is a concern.   I put heat on it and massage my shoulders.   Am being really patient about this...am spending so much time going to therapy and don't know how much more time insurance will allow for this.

Hanging in there...
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lizard

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 03:21:18 pm »
Mei Mei,
Welcome home, and I'm sorry to hear things are not getting better for you, but hopefully the anesthesiologist will be able to help.  I don't have a lump on my neck, but there was a lot of pain there and I think that it has to do with the surgeons moving the muscles in that area out of the way to get to the tumor.  This is how the occipital nerve gets compromised as well.  It runs right along these same muscles. 
Sending healing vibes your way!
Hugs,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 06:50:32 am »
Thanks, Liz!   This is a great explanation as nothing was making sense about how my neck was lumpy this long before.    I'm busy this morning getting all my surgical papers ready to bring to StayPoz's anesthesiologist.   I hope he can help me do something for the lump in my neck and skull.   I read this last night and just couldn't bend my neck enough to answer.   So many pins and needles too.   Thanks all for so much caring!!!

Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »
Hello,

I got the Nerve Block today with one shot in the Sub Occipital Area done with Kenelog and Lidocaine.   I should have stressed that I am feeling it in my neck as well as in my skull.   He was in and out of the office so fast I could not believe it.  He promised me the pins and needles would go away with this shot, but the lump in the is still there.   He said to come back in two weeks for follow up.   I guess then I'll stress the neck.   I came home and iced the neck.   He was right about the pins and needles going away from the skull with this shot.   The 7 shots I had on July 1st with the cortisone and lidocaine didn't touch the pins and needles.   

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »
I forgot to mention that he also gave me a prescription for Elavil to go along with me.

That's the update for today.   I hope this combo of Kenelog and Elavil work for me.

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Lizard

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:12 pm »
I was hoping you would post after the appointment.  I'm so happy for you, hopefully this will work.  You will probably have a sore neck for a few days, but hopefully after that you can really feel the difference. 
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mei Mei

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:11 pm »
Hi Liz,
Thanks for your support!   Why a sore neck for a few days when the shot was in the skull?

Wondering,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

cin605

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 04:17:01 pm »
Wow!I hope this works MeiMei.
I am going for cervical spine MRI and then my prediction in spine clinic from there.At which time they will probly want to try the nerve block route also...had one done before with no results...must have been the lidocain..keep us posted.
Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Mei Mei

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »
Good Luck Cindy!   I've had a cervical laminectomy on C 5/6 6/7 in 1988   neck issues too.   They cut my vocal cord back then and had to have a vocal cord anastomosis a year later with my ansa hypoglossi (tongue nerve) in 1989 out in Irvine CA.   

Wouldn't Lidocaine help things not hurt.   At this point, my neck still has a lump in it.   I should have gotten two shots, one in my skull and one in my neck.  The doctor said just like some one on this site said that the shots are a diagnostic also.   I have another appointment in two Mondays and am hoping for a shot in my neck to wipe out this lump in my neck and get this over with.   I think it is related also to my cervical spine issues back to 1988.  I'll have to remind him, but it was in my record that I wrote down and on my operative report.

Hangin' in,
Thanks for writing...
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

cin605

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 05:00:46 pm »
I am confused lidocain good or bad?I thought i should be asking for depomedrol???
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:03:20 pm by cin605 »
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old