Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117061 times)

Kaybo

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #330 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:31 am »
Phyl~
Maybe some OREO's would kick that headache instead of those DIET RICE CAKES!  Hello taste over cardboard!  JK!

K   ::)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:42 am »
K -

I was thinking the same thing!  Diet rice cakes would give me a headache too!  Phyl, ditch those and get yourself some dark chocolate!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2010, 08:54:55 am »
Phyll,
I hope the imitrex works, and you don't have to pay a penny for it.
I'm so sorry to hear about your work and headaches, and ah it just sucks, girl.
I can't believe you are even on this post with your migraine!
Feel better soon, plz,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2010, 09:12:40 am »
Incidentally, it's not ALL about profit for the prices charged for non-insurance people.  As I stated, a portion of that "cost" also pays for the billions of dollars each year of services that are given away for free (either by choice or law).  Already in this country, if you go to ANY Emergency Room, they MUST treat you without regard to your ability to pay.  What ends up happening (and has to a LARGE extent) is that many people who are here illegally (and hence, don't have insurance) go to the Emergency Room knowing they can't be turned away for regular check ups, for sneezes and coughs, etc... not true "emergencies".  That, in part, raises the "cost" paid by everyone else most notably those people without insurance that ARE willing to pay for it.

Well said Brian.  This is what our higher premiums are all about!  To solve this problem is not to 'throw the baby out with the bath water' as we've done here.  Rather, we need to 'cut the cancer out entirely' by opening the borders for insurance companies to compete and next, eliminating the illegals--kudos to Arizona Gov she rocks!  She's got a spine.  She's got my vote.  Hope this spreads to my state--but alas our Gov is switching parties.  Those that are FOR amnesty is a slap in the face to friends I know spending oodles of $$ and time to become a citizen LEGALLY!  That's a slap in the face of my relatives too!  By the way, I don't like slapping of any sort, I'm not one for the whipping post either, I'm a ***** cat when it comes to pain, so Phyl, keep that whip away from me--I'm not hijaker here.  

We've been a 'door mat' for too long.  For too long in my state I've heard legal and illegal's tell me where they are from and say to me "I love my country."  So, you love your country but not enough to live there and make a living?  In essence they are saying they don't love MY country, and yet MY country has open arms whereas, their countries do not.  I do not visit their country in hopes of changing their national language or laws.  Why do they want to do this here?  Go home to your beloved country please.  Come on back when you've done this LEGALLY!  We are a forgiving people, we are a loving nation, we are THE most generous people--don't let them tell you differently.  

My grandparents came here to get away from the oppressive governments of Germany and Italy legally, learned the language, and loved their new country!  Why?, because it offered them HOPE!  They thrived, had children, didn't live in fear.  My father fought and came home a wounded warrior so WE didn't have to live under Japanese or German rule.  America and her Constitution was worth fighting for and I hope more people still believe this.  We are losing much and as I stated earlier government run anything never thrives--our government now OWNS 51% of private enterprise!  This means 51% of our economy is going the tubes!  Will we survive this?

Personally, I think you can have your cake and eat it too.  Meaning, I think you can reduce the costs AND have a "for profit" system.  It's because of that profit motive that most of the new innovations in techniques, new drugs and a host of other things are created in the USA.  If there's no profit in it, then where's the motivation for anyone to spend the millions/billions of dollars necessary to bring a new procedure, a new drug, a new device, a new ANYthing if there aren't any hopes of recovering that cost?  My answer is there is none.  Innovation and R&D will suffer across the world if you take out the profit motivation.

Again Brian, well said.  Our president already thinks those that are making an honest living, and employing people to do the same, should now consider making less?  WHAT?  Motivation creates ideas which create new possibilities that open doors.  Suppression of motivation creates the opposite, apathy.  No motivation equals no creation and no wealth to spread around.  Our wealth is moving out, I don't blame them.  Why should they stay to carry the weight of those that would rather lay around, complain about our language, laws, and their lack of 'stuff'?  When they are done wiping their feet on us, realizing how much filth is left behind, seeing the empty 'bread basket', they too will move on as they won't have it in them to 'clean up' after themselves.  

My mission now is to educate and motivate people to the polls this November and 2012 where there will be much house cleaning we will have to do to right the wrong.  This brain tumor doesn't compare to the problem that lay ahead for me and anyone else that wants to join me to get back to a government OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE!  And speaking of brain tumor, isn't that great that our motivated surgeons came up with better techniques in surgery and another way to treat OUR type of brain tumor!  AMAZING!  Probably why more people come here than go there for treatment or rather used to.  

.....now where's my marker and poster I'm off to the Tea Party before I put a 'for sale' sign in my front yard.  Thinking about straddling state lines of Arizona and Texas.  States with a spine and no fear to do the right thing.  Real leaders!  
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:00 pm »
There is a lot of research and development that goes on in the medical sciences all over the word folks.  It isn't limited the good old United States of America.  What ever happened to the Hippocratic Oath?

Laz, you made some very valid points.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »
 ;D
Oh that darn caramel popcorn is stuck to my dental crowns again. I am rathah fatigued in this mid-day. Hmm should I have a cup-of-cofffffee or a spoT of tea?  :-\  I AM in a ratha social mood just now. Hmmm should I go to a Coffee house or Tea Party? :-X

Pearly Whites ,LUV  :-*, can you please pass me a couple lumps of shuga? I just caunt seem to make a propa cup-ah-tea these days… Perhaps a caramel latte might do best to wash down the sticky wicky popcorn. Maybe Grega is jolly ole right… just pass me the entire bag of caramels…. Hmm…mmmm..munch munch

Hmmm is there any dAHncing I wonder ...at these coffee houses and tea parties- here in AmericaHHH?

Oh looky I have a new invention in AmericaHHH… caramels melted in a spot of tea. It is quite delightfFUL. MMMM…Would you like to try some Stevie? OH and Stevie do you have time to knit me a new tea cozy… mine is getting so raggedy and the tea gets tepid.

Scotty daarling? Tea or CoffFFee?

Hmmm…Do you think Sara might like caramel tea too? Should I send her some?

Ta Ta for now darlings. Back to what was it???? Oh yes yes of COURSE…. The bill…. NO NO NO not for the coffee and tea bevies, my pet, the HEALTH bill…

Carry on then….  ;)

Daisy Head Mazie ;D

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2010, 02:21:14 pm »
There is a lot of research and development that goes on in the medical sciences all over the word folks.  It isn't limited the good old United States of America.  What ever happened to the Hippocratic Oath?

Laz, you made some very valid points.

Anne Marie

By the way, I never said was NO R&D in countries outside of the USA, however you must agree that up until now most of the major advances in medical technology or treatment techniques or advancement of new drugs have been developed in the USA.  Why?  Partially, in my opinion, to the profit motivation factor.  A new drug, new technology or a new anything stands to MORE than pay for itself in the long run by being able to sell it across the globe.  Drug companies know this.  Medical device manufacturers know this.  Heck, doctors know this.  That's why billions of dollars are spent annually to create the next "big" thing.  You can't tell me that if a drug company stands to make very listtle or no money at all for a new drug, they will invest the time and money to create the next big drug, for example?  

I still maintain that without that motivating factor, the desire for making strides in R&D into new technology, techniques and drugs will be crushed.  Not only does the USA stand to lose lots by that fact, so does the rest of the world who benefits from that R&D work done in the USA.

Countries who develop new technology and drugs do so knowing one of their biggest markets for being able to sell it (and make a profit) is in the USA.  If the healthcare system in this country moves towards being a not-for-profit commodity, then even the R&D in those countries will diminish knowing they won't be able to make a decent enough profit in one of the biggest markets (USA).

Whatever happened to the rule of law?

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2010, 12:06:58 am »
This is an interesting discussion.

Investment is the cornerstone to any country's success. Under our previous government which was booted out by a giovernment full of spin, introduced 150% R&D write offs through tax. that meant if you spent $100 on R&D, you could claim $150 on your tax return. Obviously pitched at the big boys but up to the GFC under our previous government, Oz had one of the strongest economies in the world. Unemployment at around 5% and NO public debt. Investment was soaring and everything was going well. Unfortunately after 2 years in office, they were outdone by political complacency and the spin of our now PM - Kevin Rudd. Not getting into a political comment here but there is no doubt at all that Investment into R&D in the private sector where there is reward for risk is a must and a recipe for success.
That translates into the health system as well. Many Drug companies make absurd profits but its through their R&D that we get new treatments and they get profits. Not sure I'd want to get rid of that process at all. As for insurance companies, its a moot point as to whether they should be profitable or not. If not - you certainly get complacency and no incentive to be daring at all.
It's a toughie.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
When we get nervous, we eat!!  And there is a lot in the world to be nervous about now.

Cookies, anyone?.  Making Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies, but with dried cherries. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #339 on: June 17, 2010, 08:47:18 am »
I really had to add to this thread.  I got a survey from the party I was affiliated with for many years, before they got so radical.  Maybe both sides were always radical, but because I wanted to stray from my father's fold, I went in the opposite direction.  I can now honestly define myself as being a "moderate".  Anyway, about this survey....my family is pretty sure the Secret Service is going to show up on my doorstep.  They asked the questions and I answered them honestly.  I did add that I hoped that the President is impeached for treason before he gets voted out of office.  I also asked for the tenth time to be taken off this party's mailing list >:( and I have changed my voter registration.  I am a very frustrated small business owner and most of all American......I am very happy that I live in Texas though.
I made lemon bars!
Just my humble opinion!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #340 on: June 17, 2010, 10:28:24 am »
Brenda Lu,

I have been in the middle of this... and see both side. I am now becoming VERY concerned that Americans will loose freedoms. Freedoms I did not have growing up in Canada.

Today I exercised the freedom of speech in hopes to assist a fellow patent.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=12499.msg146699#msg146699

She is a frightened newbie who needs diagnoses and not fear to speak up and ask for a MRI... or fear of the unknown  :-\ .

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »
Amen, DHM....love that.  I grew up near the Canadian border and have many , many friends who are from there or live there.  I have seen both sides of the coin.  I am so thankful I live in these GREAT United States of America and I will vote every election, voice my concerns, march against the "establishment" and do everything in my power to see that my grand children will always have the freedoms I have enjoyed in this great country.  It isn't perfect, but it is the best in the world.  If it wasn't, so many people wouldn't be coming here for treatment and trying to live here...legally or illegally.
The new health care bill scares the HECK out of me, both as citizen and as a small business owner.  My doctor and I have discussed at great length how this will impact the care I receive for MS, mental health, and all of the AN related junk.....................I am scared, but I will not give in without the biggest fight of my life.
I read the thread and your encouragement of Michelle and just want to say thank you!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #342 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:26 am »

I am almost tired of fighting ... I should not have to fight to see a doctor when I am a citizen , pay my taxes . pay for insurance etc etc etc ... and I can't get an MRI for spying on the inner workings of my head because I can't pay for them and my insurance doesn't think they are a necessity ... I am now taking neurontin that takes edge off headaches but have a return of pain in my hips down to my toes from fibromyalgia that the lyrica I was on took care of , but now can't afford .... I am thankful I was under different insurance at time of surgery ...

and I hate seeing this family of Mexicans ( now legal ) come in the doctors office with their sick kids (and I want the kids 5 in all from toddlers to maybe 6 to have healthcare ) plop down the Tenn Care card and get free treatment and with interpreter in tow say no we haven't found work yet ... they are in designer cloths , jewelry dripping off them and drive a Cadillac Escalade ...no one just gave all that to them …and we see them in Walmart with carts full and the food stamp debit card in hand …

I know the man works at a sod farm managing it and makes good money ... he is paid under the table and owner of farm doesn't take out anything on him ...insurance , taxes , SS ,, blah blah blah ... now that the man and his family are legal they should pay taxes and pay for treatment ... heck they should have been paying all along ... I hope the owner who is under investigation for tax issues gets tossed in the clink and loses his farm … he has done this thing for yeas and has been suspected in bringing illegals to the states … he gets rich while helping to make it worse for the rest of us ….my doctor is not going to let a child go untreated and that is fine with me ... but told the parents he is not taking on new adult patients and they would have to go somewhere else and I applaud him for that small stand he has taken ...

we were informed that we may be able to get out of the contract with BCBS of TN that was locked in for 5 years (ends July 2012 ) and may get new insurance ...praying we do and it is better ... BCBS informed us after health bill came out that they could keep me on pre-existing status until 2014 ... and this  was suppose to be a seamless transition and I was told that I would be able to continue treatments as usual …

Most of my woes are due to the insurance company and the way they are picking through the health bill and finding ways to create loopholes and pay for as little as possible … last year we paid $ 4200 in premiums , with the December 2008 MRI to pay for , we paid out another $5842 in treatment (most of that the one MRI ) , $1200 in deductibles  and $1000 in prescriptions …would have been a lot more in drugs if my doctor had not been giving me sample bottles of Lyrica … BCBS paid $1200 towards treatments and $167 on prescriptions … discounts for using in network doctors were $1265 … they only started paying for doctors visits in November or December when our $4800 deductible was met and were not paying the promised 80% because out $2400 per person out of pocket had yet to be met … a quarter of our income to not get needed treatment …it basically gets you in the door in case of emergency …if not for the fear of some catastrophic illness coming up I would drop insurance and sock back the money we pay them to use to pay for doctor appointments , food , school supplies , gas etc

I think this has more to do with anger and the whole insurance mess and the way they twist things by their interpretation of the bill than the bill itself …

I have some home made yeast bread and cinnamon rolls … no chocolate but good all the same …take one …take a few … I will just eat them if the stay here …the cinnamon rolls are good warm with cold milk

Disgruntled in Tennessee
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:05 pm »
Soundy ~

Although its disheartening to read about your insurance/medical care woes, I'm glad you posted because I think your comments reflect the general attitude of a great many Americans these days, when it comes to health care.  Often, its not the actual treatment that is problematic (although sometimes it is) but the means of paying for health care, which was never 'cheap' but has grown almost prohibitively expensive - without insurance.  Just like your family, most Americans pay good money for their health care insurance and are sometimes given runarounds and have obstacles put in their path to wellness by insurance company games that have the objective of not paying a bill that the insurer should be liable for.  I'm certain that many will join me in nodding our heads and muttering: "been there, done that". This was the political rationale for the new health care bill - typically given a ridiculously tongue-twisting name no one knows or remembers: 'The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act' -' that was signed into law by the president, back in late March.  The 'reform' that will cost our country (taxpayers) billions. 

Soundy, your anger over seeing illegal aliens apparently living the good life on the taxpayers back and receiving benefits Americans born and raised here don't receive, is wholly justified.  So is your disgust with the local sod farmer bringing in illegal immigrants to work for peanuts, fattening the farmer's wallet and, again, burdening the taxpayers while taking work away from Americans.  I hope he is caught and severely punished.  If these greedy employers would stop hiring illegals, a big chunk of the illegal immigration population would disappear as the financial incentive for coming over the (porous) border would be gone.  That states and cities hand out benefits to illegal immigrants paid for by hard-working taxpayer's money is outrageous, in my opinion.  Another inducement to those living in squalid countries (often run by dictators or just run ineffectively) to sneak across  the border and into the U.S.  We simply cannot absorb every poor person in the world.  This is a long-running problem that neither political party ever seems eager to address, except with empty words and meaningless gestures.   I think most Americans are sick of it.  The national approval for the new Arizona law that only slightly addresses the illegal alien problem is close to 60%.  The majority of Americans  get it, even if some politicians and media types that have lied about the law, don't.     

Your natural indignation toward those here illegally and receiving what seems like special treatment is what drives those who form 'alternative' political entities and protest against the current administration/congressional schemes, such as 'amnesty' for illegal aliens (usually benignly termed 'comprehensive immigration reform') and the recently enacted health care law I've referenced earlier.  Prior to the passage of the health care law (sometimes referred to as 'ObamaCare') polls showed around 85% of Americans had health care insurance and were satisfied with it.  Now, we'll have socialized health care that allegedly insures 100% of the population but at a tremendous cost (in taxes) and with a definite loss of freedom of choice in our health care.  Too late, now.  As has been said before: if you don't like the way (private) insurance companies handle your claims, wait until you have an unaccountable government bureaucracy doing it with inflexible rules and absolutely no appeals or alternatives.

I hate to read about anyone having trouble with their insurance company because, like you, we pay a lot for the coverage and AN patients often have ongoing needs that are simply unaffordable for most of us, if not covered by our insurance.  However, I fear we'll be reading a lot more medical 'horror stories' about folks not being able to receive needed treatment or medications once the new national health care law fully kicks in by 2014.  Of course, I'm not psychic and cannot accurately predict the future (or I'd play Lotto) but I cannot see how this new law, which, no matter how you spin it, is 'socialized medicine', can somehow be better than the private sector health insurance system we have now.  Granted, that system needs reforms, but I believe congress used easily-solvable problems in the private health insurance system to justify pushing the new health care law past the wishes of a majority of Americans in order to give the government control  of a very crucial part of our economy - and our lives.  Since most anything government does ends up a mess and wildly expensive, I'm not optimistic that simply changing from privately-run health care insurance to government-run health care insurance will be a huge improvement.  In fact, I think it'll be a lot worse.  As a 'senior citizen', I expect that my future, should I encounter serious illness in the next decade or so, is now greatly compromised.  With 3 billion people on one health care system and money and medical personnel being finite, medical resources will definitely have to be 'prioritized' (rationed) and guess who is most expendable?  That alone is a problem for me, for obvious reasons.  However, again, I may be mistaken. I hope so.  I also hope that your health issues and your current insurance problems can be resolved, soon.

Jim         
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #344 on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:20 am »

I hope the sod farmer does lose his farm and home and his wife runs off with the UPS man ( or someone ) ... he has been doing this for years , been through court and paid fines ... but those were on immigration of illegal aliens charges ...not much happened ... they rounded up his worked took them to Mexico and with in a month most were back ... and he got off with some fines but not big enough to hurt ...now with IRS investigating him I hope they nail him to the wall

what is even worse in ways than the illegals that use the system are the American citizens that do so ...I know of 4 or 5 cases within a few miles of me of this

there is a family with 5 kids at school that are on Tenn Care and food stamps and proud of it ... they are not married and have the kids ranging from a on going into 1st grade next year to one going into 8th ... they get free lunch and supplies paid for ... he makes good money and they live in a nice house ... but since they are not married they can qualify for all this help because technically all the income she has is child support which he pays into an account in her name ... in court papers to establish paternity and support he was not employed at the time and it was not required he pay for insurance ... that was when they had 2 kids ... over the years as kids were born support was increased by the DA office but it was never ran back through courts so he still doesn't pay for insurance ... and since she has legal custody of the kids she can apply and receive benefits  ...

and the kids are likely to grow up and do the same ... only good thing here is that once your youngest child reaches first grade and is in school all day you are required to go to work and her stamps will go down ... or she may just have another baby so she can milk the system further ...

They brag about it and human services know they live together but loopholes allow it … I think they are worse than people here illegally milking the system …

But then when looking for help I was told that I could get catastrophic coverage through Tenn Care  if I divorced Bo and he didn’t carry insurance on me …I could also get food stamps … so the government encourages this sort of thing  both on state level with the Tenn Care health coverage and federal government with te food stamp program … this needs to be fixed  … close the loopholes
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery