Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117401 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:32 am »

On a lighter note, here is video from Seattle of a "flash mob." I am thinking that we should start putting one of these together for the symposium in Cincinnati in 2011. I nominate Jan and DHM to organize it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5PyIVVKoWU

Steve
____

Apparently the flash mob is inspired by the TV series and the movie Glee. I have seen neither the TV series nor the movie so I am unsure of the bases for this street dancing movement, as I am NOT American Pop Culturally literate  :-\ on this topic yet. I will research and get back to you-all later.  ::)

_____
Ok NOW I get it
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  :)

Liverpool street Station famous video (T mobile dance)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM

When this happened without Oprah’s knowledge
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-Making-of-Oprahs-Flash-Mob-Dance-Video

A British News Story
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1117183/Dance-Of-The-Commuters-400-strong-flash-mob-gets-funky-Liverpool-Street-Station.html

NBC Chicago
http://www.nbcchicago.com/around-town/events/Oprahs-Flash-Mob-Style-Dance-58166602.html

Flash mob history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Ok I am IN! How about you Jan? Lori? Steve?  We need to choreograph in a kayak somehow...  (Hey they had a canoe  ;) at the opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics- ANYTHING is possible!) ... Joef are you in? ;)

DHM  :D  :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:46:19 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2010, 10:58:20 am »
I'm in!  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2010, 11:28:59 am »
RE Flash mob history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Quote from the webpage linked above
United States
In April 2009, police used pepper spray to break up a flash mob event at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, and arrested five people.[28] In December 2009, Old Dominion University campus police pepper-sprayed a flash mob.[29]
In 2009 and 2010 Center City Philadelphia has had at least four incidents where flash mob gatherings have turned violent. During these incidents, teenagers ran through the streets or malls, vandalized property, fought with each other, and attacked passers-by resulting in injuries and arrests. Similar incidents have occurred in Boston, South Orange, New Jersey, Brooklyn, and Kansas City.

Violence and willful destruction of property is totally NOT cool with me. >:(  Peaceful demonstration to bring awareness to a cause is cool  8)- especially when there is choreographed dancing. I like the Liverpool Station video the most as it has a variety of music styles and genres of dance... all races, genders and ages dancing together.

The 80+ year old in our Oregon support group who dances impresses me... I would love to see ole Scotty (aka Jim Scott) dancing too. Beam me up... ;) ;D

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:19 pm »
About the performance Flash Mobs, the one in Singapore is really fun.  I'm just curious how you practice for something that big! ha   Singapore has a big group that has done this in several places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrTf6anF0r8

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »
Wow this new Flash Mob Dancing is really taking off  :o - until today I had NO idea how big it was  8) . This is what the new generation is doing to make their social statements…

LAZ (LARRY) where are you???

Here is one from Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S2T5vPHjS8

In truth I would never have looked up “power shift” until I saw this one
I guess between electronic communications and the language of dance- many people can be reached. I am NOT saying I am on-board with their website but the dance with all those kids sure caught my attention.

I can’t wait to share this with my tween and teen kids. (Who probably are already in-the-loop and will just say to their middle age mother “Gee -Get with the program Mom. Da… this has been around for a while now"  ::))

Thanks Steve for bringing us old fogies in -on how the new generation is staging demonstrations. Maybe I might be hip with the teens now. :-\ ;) :D  ;D

Hmmm a flash mob dancing video to bring awareness to acoustic neuroma  8) (and our insurance woes too  :-\ )

... Steve you ARE our creative one that is for sure. Ok Steve is the creativity director... yes?  :-*

DHM :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:01:04 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2010, 01:20:09 pm »
It's like herding cats around here...  *sigh*

B
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2010, 01:23:47 pm »
Google
"Jollibee Flash Dance Mob Video Mall of Asia, Philippines last August 8, 2009"

Internationally this is HUGE- I had no idea.  :o  :o  8)

So what's that Pooter wants us to dress as CATS :-\ (in hats ;)) ?  :D :D :D :D :D

Huggles Pooter :-*
 :D

DHM

lori67

« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2010, 02:32:41 pm »
Oh yeah, I'm in alright.  As in - IN ANOTHER STATE!

I will be forced to pretend I don't know you dancin' fools.   I have plenty of experience with pretending not to know my children, this won't be too difficult.   ;)

Brian, I wish I had something to add to the topic at hand, but I don't...now get back to herding!  You're from TX - this should be easy for you!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »
It's like herding cats around here...  *sigh*

B

I'm with you Pooter.

This is my last post on this thread.

I tried . . .

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2010, 03:02:54 pm »
I know, it takes all the fun out of hijacking when no one yells at you!   :D
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »
Not that really - and I can certainly hijack with the best of them.

I just think this topic warrants some serious discussion and although I just broke my own rule (about not posting on this thread again) I think we should either move this topic or get back to serious discussion.

Since no one is with me on this, I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »
But it's not in the "Insurance" category - it's in the AN Community category!  No need to be serious here!   :P  We just have to play nice and ship adequate amounts of popcorn to Phyl.

Lori

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2010, 04:22:39 pm »
I'm with you Jan..  I'm taking my ball and going home too.  This topic will directly affect every single person on this forum.  It's a topic well worth a discussion about the impact of this law and how it will directly affect those of us who have AN's (hey!  They's about all of us!)..  But, we can't have a meaningful discussion about the law, etc with constant distactions of Flash Mob Dancing, popcorn covered with various flavorings or flakes of this or that, oreos and detailed definition reports about every colloquialism or nuiance to the english language.  In the "Insurance" area or in the "AN Community" area doesn't much matter as the topic is one of importance and it matters to ALL of us.  Or so I thought...

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:01 pm »
I'm with you Jan..  I'm taking my ball and going home too.  This topic will directly affect every single person on this forum.  It's a topic well worth a discussion about the impact of this law and how it will directly affect those of us who have AN's (hey!  They's about all of us!)..  But, we can't have a meaningful discussion about the law, etc with constant distactions of Flash Mob Dancing, popcorn covered with various flavorings or flakes of this or that, oreos and detailed definition reports about every colloquialism or nuiance to the english language.  In the "Insurance" area or in the "AN Community" area doesn't much matter as the topic is one of importance and it matters to ALL of us.  Or so I thought...

Brian ~

Although I agree with you regarding the relevance of the issue (the new health care law) to AN patients (and all Americans) we also have to recognize that not every poster is interested in discussing it here.  Hence, the lighthearted, 'off topic' posts you're seeing in this thread that are perfectly normal in the 'Community' forums - and not really unexpected.  I realize that discussion of controversial issues is usually avoided on the ANA discussion forums and so, I think this kind of topic is off-putting to some for the reason that it is complex and has a distinct political flavor, because it concerns the government being intimately involved in every Americans health care, to some extent.  Exactly to what extent is yet unknown, and that unknown is a cause of much angst to some of us.  However, this is an 'open' forum and we cannot, nor would we wish to dictate the nature of the posts our members chose to send.  With that in mind, I suggest we simply wait until the effects of the new law are better known and, in fact, 'hit home' for some.  Then, I suspect the issue will be better received.  Until then, my PM box is open to anyone wishing to discuss this issue.  With that, I'll pick up my own ball and exit this ridiculously long thread.  :)

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2010, 05:43:22 pm »
…Since no one is with me on this, I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Jan

I'm with you Jan..  I'm taking my ball and going home too…  
Brian

... With that, I'll pick up my own ball and exit this ridiculously long thread.  :)

Jim    

OK so Jan , Pooter and Scotty finally make it clear they want to play “ball” … and not dance.

CBS Obama plays ball with the press- (tease)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBn-09NarKA

Both Obama and Bush play ball- apparently  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pJU1rSpLg

Know I did not vote neither right nor left… and I am listening to both sides right now

CBS (from March but still a top headline hit for Google)
Health Care Reform Bill Summary: A Look At What's in the Bill
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

Top News
US Lawmakers Likely to Seek Private Insurance
http://topnews.us/content/216733-us-lawmakers-likely-seek-private-insurance

NPR
Confusion Over Insurance Changeover For Congress
by JULIE ROVNER

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125914073

3 random articles thrown at you from today’s Google new headlines with the key words “health bill”

THAT ought to get the ball rolling.

Jan you provided a link about nurse practioners. I did not ignore this and stated my experience. You can comment on that if you wish…

Just know I dance better than I play ball as I have become a little leary of contact sports with that big ole titanium plate over my ole crantiotomy hole. When the  ball is thrown at me as someone says “catch”- I have NO idea what direction the voice is being yelled from being SSD… and all. In dance people try to work together in unison to get ideas across… in ball games they just beat-the-pants off each other :-\  to see who wins.

Play ball … but know at random a group could gather when you least expect it and start dancing at any moment- in the middle of a mall, a basketball court, a baseball field, a cricket match… tennis court

Play ball but know the floor can also be used for dancing.

(I am trying to imagine Pooter in the middle of a big ole Texas ball field  :-\ herding dancing cats  ;)… attired in a knitted cap made by a creative director.  ;D :D )

DHM :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:55:37 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »