Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117425 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:47 am »
No, I believe I said one page back that I would be writing out my favorite Smothers Brothers song when I had time...

;D

OMG- Kaybo is right. This was an actual factual song

Here is video of a random person singing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgI1Wkr4n0

(I could not find a video of the Smother Brother's actually singing it- maybe I did not search hard enough)

Gee…Sounds like the Smothers Brothers were pretty controversial during the Vietnam War.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothers_Brothers

Well now am I not only getting an interesting education on the health bill- now one on also on American Pop Cultural History literacy.

I viewed a few of the Smother Brothers videos on-line this morning. I almost posted a couple of links to these but thought the better of it… even if they are wildly hysterically funny… Popcorn for breakfast seemed like an odd thing to have on the menu this Sunday morning ;)  … so I decided not to. 

However I did find one video clip on a news channel that talked about their book an history
http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9215290
… that only showed edited snippets of their different episodes.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:50 am »
You know, I try to make Phyl happy and get this thread back on topic, and you guys go right back to the Smothers Brothers!!  ::)

GEEZ!!!!  ;) LOL

I personally am intrigued with the idea of ultimately not being able to choose your own doctor under our new Obama Care. 

Well, actually intrigued isn't the right word.  I am APPALLED!  >:(
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »
For those who might be worried (not those looking for political ammo), I will make a few comments on the doctor question.

1. If you have insurance through work, that is not going to change any time soon. Carry on as usual.

2. If you end up buying insurance through an exchange, you will have a choice of provider and policy. How many choices, and whether those are all HMO-style, will depend on the market in your state. The law sets minimum standards for policies, but does not specify what options may be offered, nor require HMO plans.

3. Many current policies offered by employers use the HMO model, where you have a "gate keeper" PCP. Usually you get to pick one from their list.

4. Unlike previously, you will be able to change insurance provider and policy without fear of pre-existing condition restrictions or denial of coverage.

Precautionary note: Most of the actual rules implementing the law have not yet been written. Much of what appears in newspapers and online articles refers to various versions of the bill over the last year, not necessarily the final version that was passed.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2010, 02:58:47 pm »
You know, I try to make Phyl happy and get this thread back on topic, and you guys go right back to the Smothers Brothers!!  ::)

GEEZ!!!!  ;) LOL

I personally am intrigued with the idea of ultimately not being able to choose your own doctor under our new Obama Care. 

Well, actually intrigued isn't the right word.  I am APPALLED!  >:(

back on topic, eh?  Oh, I'm here, watching... :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »
Precautionary note: Most of the actual rules implementing the law have not yet been written.  Much of what appears in newspapers and online articles refers to various versions of the bill over the last year, not necessarily the final version that was passed.

Steve ~

Thanks for that clarification.  However, like many Americans, I find it troubling that 'most of the actual rules implementing the (health care) law have yet to be written.  2000 pages wasn't enough?  Like so many others, that kind of federal law, with it's impenetrable legalese that requires layers of bureaucracies with a profusion of rules and regulations needed to implement it, makes many Americans a bit wary of the whole thing.  Oh well, too late now.     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
Jim, I know what you mean. For a little context, the 2007 budget bill under Bush was 1482 pages; the stimulus bill was 1100. While there are short bills (the one authorizing gold medals for the Apollo 11 crew was just 2 pages), the longer ones over 1000 are not that uncommon.

When they say writing the rules, I think they mainly mean setting up the forms, writing instructions for various departments, and actually going about the business of implementing what the law says. The IRS will do some; I assume a number of other US departments will do some; and the states will start doing some things as well.

It is pretty much how we do things in this country. It is not particularly efficient or pretty, but it beats having a dictator. I found a nice quote from James Madison:

"As there is a degree of depravity in mankind which requires a certain degree of circumspection and distrust: So there are other qualities in human nature, which justify a certain portion of esteem and confidence. Republican government (that of a Republic) presupposes the existence of these qualities in a higher degree than any other form. Were the pictures which have been drawn by the political jealousy of some among us, faithful likenesses of the human character, the inference would be that there is not sufficient virtue among men for self government; and that nothing less than the chains of despotism can restrain them from destroying and devouring one another."

Those founding fathers were on the ball.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2010, 06:52:35 pm »
Yes, they were on the ball. They envisioned a severely limited federal government with limited powers over the states and people. They certainly didn't envision the all-powerfull, oppresive dictatorish government like what it's doing now with ObamaCare for example. They specifically forbid the federal government from requiring everyone to buy a certain private product.

We need to get back to those principles and values on which our country was founded.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

grega

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2010, 08:20:23 am »
Thanks Jan, for getting this thread "back on topic" so that Phyl is able to comprehend exactly what she's watching   ;)

Steve, I appreciate your thoughtful discussion and your effort searching out Madison's quote ... but I side with Jim and Brian in my feelings about the health care "reform".  Jim said that Americans are, "...a bit wary of the whole thing."  I voice that a bit stronger .... most Americans are p***ed off at being p***ed on by those in congress that are supposed to represent them .... but are not so doing, and have not for a long time.  This is the reason many are gathering (town halls, tea parties, etc) in great numbers to voice their concerns and disgust.

I heard that Ron Paul will introduce a bill shortly, perhaps today, that addresses only a minute amount of the gigantic waste of paper voted on, but not read.  His bill calls for overturning the requirement for Americans to buy health insurance ..... it will be one page long.  Hey, perhaps congress will be able to read it before they vote on it ........ wow, something new!

PHYL .... back off topic .... and with all due respect to DHM (wiki-woman):

Aside to the JKL trio re the Smothers Brother's Mothers .....

There are still two likeable brothers,
Who, rumor says, had different mothers.
The reason, few know,
Never told on their show,
Is that their father had his druthers. :o  anon. 8)

Greg
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:56:40 am by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:54 am »

PHYL .... back off topic .... and with all due respect to DHM (wiki-moman):

Aside to the JKL trio re the Smothers Brother's Mothers .....

There are still two likeable brothers,
Who, rumor says, had different mothers.
The reason, few know,
Never told on their show,
Is that their father had his druthers. :o  anon. 8)

Greg
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D :D

Just in case some of you are not sure what Grega is talking about here

http://www.differentmothers.com/

Here is their link to some reviews
http://www.differentmothers.com/presskit/agents.pdf

Apparently tea party organizers like them… I wonder if they perform at coffee houses also.

I love my cup-of-coffee in the morning and my cup-of-tea in the afternoon as I do not prefer one over the other- but like to savor both. Of course both require plenty of hot water and brewing.

You know it was Scotty who really was the one to get me jiving to both. This is HE singing and dancing you-know ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULXnVTRynY

Come on Scotty beam me up… I’ll see if we can get tickets to the Brothers-without-mothers …and we can have a coffee… or is that tea…?

Ok back to me morning menu of a cup of coffee with popcorn… the teas I’ll have later this afternoon with caramel popcorn…

By dinner I am sure with all that hot water and brewing I will be totally wired...

MMMM munch munch  please pass the nurtritional yeast flakes and cayene peppper for my poprcorn.... Jan you really need to try the yeast flakes- it is SOOH nummy.... ;D :D

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:54 am »
DHM -

I'm beginning to think "nutritional yeast flakes" is another name for something else you've been sprinkling on your popcorn!  Although, when used for medicinal purposes, maybe it will be covered by the new health care bill.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2010, 11:47:02 am »
Ron Paul is an awesome Congressman.  He is from my district and he is very visible here.  His grandson teaches social studies in our local junior high and Rep Paul comes and gives a q/a every year for his class.  I called his Washington office on the morning of the VOTE and the call was answered on the second ring.  The young man asked me if I wanted to speak directly to Rep Paul.  I introduced myself and he immediately said, "Jensen and Paxton's grandma, who loves our cookbook (he and his wife send out the family cookbook yearly at Christmas time) and you bake cookies for the teachers and the students very often?" (It helps to have a different last name) I said yes, that's me, we both laughed, he said his wife wanted my sugar cookies recipe.  I emailed it to her.  He said of course he was voting against the heath care bill.  I thanked him for talking to me and to keep up the great job of representing his constituents.  He actually listens to what we have to say.  I am anxiously awaiting word on the introduction of the bill he has drafted.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
I am still dazed and confused ... gave up trying to read it and will watch and wait and hope it comes out in the end ...

used to watch the Smothers Brothers against wishes of Mom but it was on my Dad's list of shows he watched and so snuck in with him and watched ... alot of the political stuff went over my head ...later (a year or two later ) I had some aha moments when something clicked ...have dome DVDs of them somewhere along with Red Skelton ... watch them from time to time , and go back in time
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2010, 12:07:39 pm »
DHM -

I'm beginning to think "nutritional yeast flakes" is another name for something else you've been sprinkling on your popcorn!  Although, when used for medicinal purposes, maybe it will be covered by the new health care bill.   :D

Lori
:D :D :D :D

Don't worry the flakes are neither green nor brown... no leaves tea leaves or otherwise  ;) ;D  Just loaded with lots of vitamin B for nerve re-generation  ;). I am not vegan either ... but after reading Fast Food Nation I can see why some are.

I could not, would not, on a boat
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not eat them in the rain.
I will not eat them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I will not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them ANYWHERE!

… Say! I like green eggs and ham!

Hmmm I wonder what the history of the eggs and ham are? :-\  Where they have been?  :-\ How far they travelled?  :-\ Which corporation?  ???

Hmmm

MMMMM munch munch … was this popcorn genetically engineered- that we are eating? Is it a product of Canada?  :-\
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/product_of_canada_eh/

Video that has a sense of humor in the documentary ;) :D ;D
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/10/24/product_of_canada_eh/

OK back to the bill. What was that bill anyway... grocery?... oh right the health bill

Munch Munch... pass the bowl...

DHM :)

grega

« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:55 pm »

WOW DHM !  Even I didn't know what I was talking about here  :o .... as I had not heard of Seattle's "different mothers" brothers prior to your post.  My little ditty was thought of in my SSD brain.

Gee, sorry if any plagerism happened in that lively limerick, but I can truthfully say that the thought came from a murder mystery weekend in PA few years back, where I had to come up with something that rhymed with Malabanga Brothers ..... yes, I have witnesses .... and no, it's a long story.

But thanks for the link to their comedy.

Greg .... mouth full of popcorn seasoned with Old Bay  ;D

ps .... perhaps they got the idea from someone back East ......  hmmmm  ???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:24:53 pm by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2010, 12:31:10 pm »

WOW DHM !  Even I didn't know what I was talking about here  :o .... as I had not heard of Seattle's "different mothers" brothers prior to your post.  My little ditty was thought of in my SSD brain.

Gee, sorry if any plagerism happened in that lively limerick, but I can truthfully say that the thought came from a murder mystery weekend in PA few years back, where I had to come up with something that rhymed with Malabanga Brothers ..... yes, I have witnesses .... and no, it's a long story.

But thanks for the link to their comedy.

Greg .... mouth full of popcorn seasoned with Old Bay  ;D

ps .... perhaps they got the idea from someone back East ......  hmmmm  ???
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D  ::)  :D :D :D :D :D

O gawd my side are killing me...  :D :D :D :D :D

DHM

Psst everyone this is "Old Bay"
http://www.oldbay.com/
... hope I don't lead you astray