Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117489 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2010, 10:54:50 am »
This is one of the wildest threads I've followed in a long time.

Do you realize we've gone from healthcare reform to food to musicians to Dr. Seuss to religion to carpal tunnel to baseball players in kayaks?

And I know I've missed at least 3 or 4 topics in this list.

Jan

Children literature... Art History?  ;)  :D  ;D

DHM

P.S. Speaking of "Kayaks"- I miss you Joef! :-* (He must be ice fishing, up Northland, somewhere  ;) )
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2010, 10:59:37 am »
I also missed Pandora's box and boiling frogs.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:25 am »
I also missed Pandora's box and boiling frogs.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Not just my sides are killing me ...

Jan and Lori I just LOVE you two  :-* ... you are the Laurel and Hardy comic relief we all sooh need.

Psst....For those not from the USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_and_Hardy

Huggles.

DHM :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
none
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:39 am »

P.S. Speaking of "Kayaks"- I miss you Joef! :-* (He must be ice fishing, up Northland, somewhere  ;) )

Did someone say kayaks ?  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2010, 11:37:24 am »
Jeff you are back! Yeah!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I have sooh missed you.  :)

I have a question:
?

“Does popcorn make good fish bait? I have tried sandwiches from my lunch box when I ran out of worms from the can (this is factually true I did this when fishing for arctic char in Cambridge Bay) but never popcorn… does it work?”

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:22 am »
I've never tried popcorn (it dont think it would work well )  .. but un-popped corn itself works well !

Joef  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »
The first time I met Steve (who is a bit of a cherished hero to me  :-* ) was right here in this very ANA forum. This was my connection to the ANA… and from there I finally got a membership, a bunch or info packets in the mail (plus a “deaf left” pin  ;)) and eventually mustered up the courage to go to a physical ANA meeting.

I was wobbly, had an eye weight, my face was completely paralyzed and I was still in trauma and scared with much doubt about my recovery prognosis. I walked into this small conference room, at St. Vincent’s hospital in Oregon, and there was this man who looked me straight in the eyes with the most crystal blue warm welcoming eyes and a big kind beautiful smile. He made his own sign language to me- of holding up four fingers and lifting his eyebrows- in question. No words just body language.

He repeated by lip speaking to me silently, as to not interrupt the group discussion, if I was “4”-  (that was the name I used before I felt Daisy Head Mayzie, aka DHM, was more suiting). Again he simply raising his eyebrows (my one eyebrow was paralyzed so I could do this in return) and he showed four fingers he mouthed, “Are you four?” I nodded my head. It was a non-verbal language exchange I will not forget.

Instant ANA buddies were made. :)

Sometimes we all meet, in-person, either in support groups or in symposiums… or we just continue our dialogue here on the lively forum.

It is very important for all of us to remember that our conversations are being read by people all over the world (aka WWW) and that the readers (and/or listeners) come from ALL walks of life, race, creed, or color. Ours is currently THE most active acoustic neuroma discussion forum in the world.

What we must always do is support each other to get through our sometimes-difficult acoustic neuroma journey. (Although with Laurel and Hardy it can sometimes be so FUN and funny. Jan & Lori are well loved  :-* )

The ANA put together an exceptional instructional DVD to which has been played at the beginning of many of the Oregon support group meetings. It gives the group a reminder as to WHY they are there but also informs newcomers what it is all about and answered many questions they have- before dialogue even begins.

Videos and DVD’s can be amazing tools for communication and education.

The health bill is VERY complex and the discussion among patients, doctors, hospitals and people alike IS important to have.

We, as acoustic neuroma patients, often deal with huge obstacles. Government bill or not -one too many AN patients are NOT getting coverage for their issues and ARE discriminated against. Some patients need Botox or plastic surgery and this is not merely cosmetic. Many need to find away to improve hearing loss be it Baha implant, hearing aid,  etc. ( I am repeating myself... ok ok... you have heard my spiel before… nada nada nada…) We as a group need to also come together, putting any fundamentalist differences aside, and figure out how we can bring out awareness not just to assist those to have their tumors treated but also with the post-op complications that can happen. This could include having insurance companies understanding why Botox, Baha implants, physical therapy, etc all need to be covered. Although those of us on the forum seem to be middle aged know that there are also teenagers and many youth -affected with this tumor. We need to somehow come together and let people know about the post-op obstacles -being it insurance hassles for eye weights or funding physical therapy etc.

I just shared this video with folks on another AN Community thread about the new Stanford group that just started… and I thought it might be fitting to share with this group to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdVfyt-mLw

Steve initially wanted this link in the March ANA newsletter but his text count was over the limit  ??? for their newsletter format -so parts of his original well done article had to be cut. Steve wrote an article about the Oregon ANA group.  His co-leadership is going to be a HUGE asset and I am SOOH glad he stepped up-to-the-plate to help lead our diverse group. We have a 91 year old (he is sweet and so humorous) who was teaching ballroom dancing to one couple in the hallway outside our hospital conference meeting room … and a new young kid who was raised on Russia who came here initially as a student. We are all SOOH different but what brings us together is our acoustic neuroma and we connect together, in a hospital conference room, enroute of our journeys- and share. (Sometimes we laugh, cry, hug, giggle …  dance… or just chat.)

Anyway this link I wanted share from You-Tube that was filmed where our group actually meets. (Our support group knows this foyer, elevators and cafeteria well.) These are not actors- but REAL people. It was done with volunteer time of employees to promote awareness to breast cancer.

It is a very popular piece of music with teens today and other youth (and even me the middle aged fogey likes it too now- which pleases my teenager  ;) )

I spoke about music, math, art and sign language being universal- as also is dance. You do not need to speak English to get the message here- in this video.  I can see that great care was taken to represent the very diverse group of staff there and- ALL the various positions that make the place work. It is fun!  :) I am so glad Steve shared this video link with me, a few months ago, and I hope you-all like it too. I know that we also have medical staff lurk and read our posts too.

Do you think we could put fundamentalist differences aside and all celebrate our diversity to put together something as fun, together, as what this hospital staff did to bring awareness to breast cancer -did? It would take some creative and articulate people… and I KNOW we have those here. WE as AN patients DO face obstacles and discrimination but is there a way that we can bring on change so Baha’s, eye weights, hearing aids, Botox, vestibular therapy, etc is covered on insurance- through awareness?

Hope you-all are dancing. (I bet you can even dance from a kayak!)

Anyway many of us have been talking to each other for many months (years) and I STILL love you all- like family. :-* Jayson, I hardly know yet- and I like you already.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:21:50 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12:29 pm »
Pooter , I think is who commented to me way back when about pre-existing issues

my biggest issue at the moment is not so much the bill and it's treatment of pre-existing problems and how they will be addressed , but that BCBS /Tennessee has treated me as pre-existing every since we were switched to it from CIGNA ... they continue to do so and have informed us that terms of the bill say that they can continue to do so until 2014 ... hopefully it won't take that long for me to get stuff resolved but for now I skip things I maybe shouldn't because I have kids to feed and bills to pay ... 

when MRIs went from costing me a $100 deductible to the last set costing a bit over $4000 I had to make choices ... I skipped last MRI that was scheduled ...unless something changes drastically I won't get one unless I feel different somehow ... the scan that showed drastic tumor growth that was done in April at my insistence because my hearing was different and had some facial numbness ... my surgeon didn't figure anything was going on but I did and he went on and ordered the MRI ...it was not due until October ... and had I waited I would probably not be here typing according to several doctors who looked at the scan and the position of tumor and size it had reached in a very short time (October 2006 -April 2007) ... at the rate it was growing he said I would have just woke up dead because I would stop breathing from AN pressing on brain stem ... I am hoping that if re-growth were to occur I will pick up on it as I did the change that ended my watch and wait status ...

I still think that somehow , medical billing  / over billing needs the fixing and don't think this will do that ... being over charge because you have insurance to make up the difference that is left from uninsured people and illegals forces insurance companies to adopt policies that don't pay because they don't want to be ripped off so we are left with the balance

I have a sister who has epilepsy , has been stripped of her drivers license by the state and still doesn't qualify for disability because she left her last job voluntarily … she had waited tables and cooked in a café for several years after end of her marriage but during her marriage didn’t work … they don’t take into consideration that she left the job after spilling a pitcher of ice water on a customer when a seizure hit and thinking that it could just as well been a pot of hot coffee … and she figured cooking over a hot grill and falling on it wouldn’t be good either …

but even with employer going to bat for her she has been denied … she gets a little over $300 a month in food stamps and is living with a friend that lets her stay rent free for helping around the house … and her doctor sees her for $5 a visit … he has to charge something and since he owns his practice and is not a part of a group attached to any hospital as so many around these parts are he can do this … the drug store that is also private owned and operated supplies her medicine for free … they do this for several …so she is lucky …she was told that since she was married for over 20 years that even divorce she can draw off ex’s SS and get more than drawing off self …. But not until 2024 … she is hoping the bill will help her out and it may

We have a large Mexican population in the area ( a good many illegal ) that work in various places and are paid under table … some get caught and deported and others don’t … not enough is done to the employers that hire them and claim they don’t know them from Adam when push comes to shove …

It burns me up to sit in the doctors office and hear them go on about what they don’t have to the receptionist …jobs , money , insurance blah blah blah …and they are in designer clothes , dripping in jewelry and drove up in an Escalade or a Hummer (vehicle reference to two families that see regularly ) … and poor things only get WIC and food stamps … please see us and treat us and give us medicine and don’t make us pay

And it is not just Mexicans … we have American citizen families that have learned to milk the system and get more than they have ever put in … I know of some that work and get paid in cash , pay very little by way of tax on what they get and get food stamps ,free lunches ,  Tenn Care coverage  for their kids and other money because they don’t make enough to live … when many make good money … but take the contractor that pays a man $18 an hour but pays him $10 an hour of it under the table … contractor doesn’t pay SS tax in on that , doesn’t cover him with insurance other than work mans comp …contractor also show a loss and gets tax breaks and credits to make up for slow business … the man pays no tax on over half of his income … yet he gets extra money to pay for food , his kids are fed for free at school , they have insurance and can see a doctor when they need to and not worry about what it costs , they can get assistance for heating during the winter … then there are those who struggle to make ends meet simply because they play by the rules and do things right …

I don’t call myself religious …more spiritual … not even gonna try to explain that … but have had people more religious than me , tell me not to worry … that those who cheat the system now will pay for it on judgment day and those who played by the rules will be rewarded …  I believe this on a spiritual level but my human level wants them to pay now …here on earth …

I was gonna say more but have said plenty or too much …not sure …

Irritated in Tennessee …
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »
Soundy,

Did you at least look at the video (link above) and try dancing to it?

I even got my hubby and kids dancing to it -while doing the supper dishes.

I think if one dances to it once it can be a great stress releaser (and venting outlet too) ...

I am sure neighbors are peaking in our windows (with binoclulars no doubt  ;) ) at us all dancing around the kitchen and living room with our rubber dish gloves on as we pretend these are pink . The neighbors are thinking,
"that crazy lady with the brain tumor- has her whole family going weird now!"  ;)  :D )

Come on Soundy - DANCE with us...  :)

Pooter, do you and your kids dance?

Soundy

« Reply #189 on: April 04, 2010, 09:31:12 am »
slow dial up doesn't allow me to dance ...well if I open something and let it down load over night I can dance the next morning ... or if I click now and pray no one calls and bumps me before it is through loading I could dance in an hour or so

phone has rang all morning ...logistics of one son coming and getting his  sisters and taking them to church and hopefully remembering to bring them home later , have had to be worked out ...

I thought it was easy ...head east , stop at mom's , pick up girls , go to church , sing ,dance , party , eat , hunt eggs ,  return sisters home and bring his 2 brothers that he is suppose to pick up after leaving church  ,get here ,  sing , dance party and eat again and then go back in the hollow and see if the easter bunny visited back there ... seemed simple to me but has taken 5 or 6 calls to figure it out ...

I should have bought frozen pizzas , went to church , left a little early to come home and bake pizzas in time for hoards of people to swarm me with mouths open like hungry baby birds ...

will have a nervous break down before day is done ... but my insurance has a mental health clause and will pay for a 7 day observation stay at our local hospital's psych ward ... maybe I should take advantage of that and get a vacation  ;D...

back to the stove ...

I will check the video out later if no one calls and bumps it off... I should disconnect the Catch a Call box from my phone line then I could stay on the computer or leave it on uninterrupted and not have to talk to my nutty family ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

grega

« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:20 am »
Mayzie, do you own wikipedia? ???

Jan, don't forget caramel crickets   :D, Denzel as Michelle   ;D ..... and specially Lori as Nanny Ligosi  ;)

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lori67

« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:36 am »
Wasn't there something about double stuff oreos too?  Or am I just really hungry?   ;)  Or should I say, I WAS really hungry until Greg mentioned the caramel crickets!   :P

DHM - I  couldn't dance pre-AN and I don't dare try now.  Guess I'll just have to join your neighbors in watching the crazy lady dance.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2010, 10:22:36 am »
Lori,
The story is you are supposed to dance like no one is watching and sing like no one is listening! Dance at the beach and sing along............
Brenda

Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:52 pm »
Oh goodness - I sing worse than I dance!   :o  Although I'm sure anyone within earshot would be doing all they could to NOT listen!   :D

Oh, and DHM, I always though Jan and I were more like the Smothers Brothers.  And mom always did like Jan best....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »
I let the link open and watched it and it was nice ... but I still ain't gonna dance

I do sing with an oldies station ...alone and in the privacy of my truck ... what I lack in skill I make up for with enthusism ...I am a much better listener than singer

as for heath care system and insurance

when I was having nausea issues from dizzyness that led to gagging , that lead to head pain , that led to more gagging , that lead to additional head pain , that lead to hurling and eventually landed in the ER , I learned that my insurance wouldn't pay for promethazine when prescribed for nausea ... learned today that it will pay for it when used for allergy ...

they sent me a new list of their do's don'ts and reasons for being ... reason fpr non-payment was there were less addicitve ways to treat nausea ..I think that people are more likely to get addictied if used for allergy as allergic reactions are more likely going to be for longer term than nausea... so next time I am nauseated I will tell the doctor I am sneezing ...perfect logical sense

On with the show
Translab July 2 ,2007