Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117400 times)

sgerrard

Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2010, 03:07:29 pm »
Lyn,

Yes, there is definitely a low income exception, as well as financial assistance for getting health insurance for anyone below a certain income.

I too am curious how it works with children. I came across this link, which is the insurance director in Massachusetts, answering questions about how the new Fed law will interact with the Mass. law. The Mass. law has been in place since 2006, with a mandate for individual insurance.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20100328/NEWS/3280504/0/news06

It seems like a useful point of reference to me. They are currently at 97% insured, which is pretty good. As far as I can tell, yes children have to be covered too, and insurance policies have to cover them, and at certain income levels they qualify for assistance too.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »
I came across this link, which is the insurance director in Massachusetts, answering questions about how the new Fed law will interact with the Mass. law. The Mass. law has been in place since 2006, with a mandate for individual insurance.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20100328/NEWS/3280504/0/news06

Steve,

This is a great... just sort of link in LAYMAN's terms I am looking for ... that I can share with others.

THANKS
 :-*

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
DHM -

I think you might be ready to graduate from Dr. Seuss to say...Judy Blume?   :D

Lori
* no frogs were harmed in the posting of this post *
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »
DHM -

I think you might be ready to graduate from Dr. Seuss to say...Judy Blume?   :D

Lori
* no frogs were harmed in the posting of this post *

We skipped the Tales of a 4th grade Nothing after the 1st chapter (ho hum)  :-\  ;) and moved right into the City of Ember…

Jeanne has grabbed much more attention from my little readers- than Judy ever did…
 :D

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2010, 11:54:33 am »
I think you might be ready to graduate from Dr. Seuss ... J

Lori,
On a more serious and sensitive note…

My youngest is beyond picture books and now into reading stories with a more sophisticated plot where she has to use her own imagination to draw pictures to the words she reads. I have been clearing out the book shelves- this spring. In addition to books in boxes the toys are all in bags -waiting in the garage for sorting and purging. We need to decide either/or to sell stuff on e-bay, have a garage sale … donate to the library…or take it all to the Goodwill.

There are a few authors that the kids just would NOT part with and one was Dr. Seuss. These are now timeless classics .He was a writer/ illustrator ahead of his time who wrote layered books on many levels in such a simple and often wonderfully silly format. I too do not want to part with these specifically as they are layered books written on many levels that make ALL ages think and question. (Albeit the kindergartner or the head of the neurosciences department at a prestigious university.)

My youngest child finished studying WWII and is now into the Cold War era of her North American History lessons… she was very quick to point out that it was much like Seuss’s The Butter Battle Book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butter_Battle_Book
She wanted to know why there was NOT a happy ending in that Dr. Seuss book… I explained that the Berlin Wall DID come down but not until after it was written. I also explained we know with Korea this sort of conflict is still happening and not resolved. I explained that as gently and sensitively as possible as to NOT make a child fill with fright and fear - rather than imaginary wonder (that we so need to cherish and nurture in childhood.) The Butter Battle Book was actually a “banned book” from USA public library shelves during the Cold War. I am sure there were many sides to that decision also. What prevailed was the “freedom of speech”.

Know that USA is very unique in that right, to its citizens, to which does have others envious. The four freedoms are what I SOOH most admire about living in the USA.

“Four freedoms” defined (for our non-USA readers)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms

(Remember that we are writing and posting on the “world wide web” and anyone can read what we are posting here… except maybe those who reside where it, and the Google search engine, is banned)

Children and adults alike tweak in when there is a limerick. Moderator Steve’s limerick was a BRILLIANT piece (or was that “peace”) of writing that brought many people together. Even those who do not celebrate Christmas loved it and praised his work. Praise came from all over the globe. The link is below for any who want to read it again.
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5644.0

I am an educator who has years of working with gifted children… sadly many go unidentified as "gifted" until their adult years. There is no doubt about it in my mind that Steve was most likely a gifted child… Those of us on the forum and those who live in the same locale as him were lucky to discover his gifts in adulthood. (Many gifts beyond computer use)
http://stevegerrard.home.comcast.net/~stevegerrard/Hats/Hats.html
Dr. Seuss is no longer with us anymore to write a book about this VERY delicate topic … but we do have among us a brilliant limerick writer who has the ability to bring us together, to have us put aside our differences, and make us smile and giggle together- as a group as we discuss a difficult and sensitive topic. I also know of a brilliant artist on this forum (hint- wears a captain’s hat but some days her complexion is a shade of blue with pointy ears) and I bet the two of them could connect to create something as brilliant as the famous “DR” has done in past years.

One other book that our family could not part with was
Ed Young’s book Seven Blind Mice
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Blind-Mice-Caldecott-Honor/dp/0399222618

Many educational administrators use this, contract negotiators and teachers today … and perhaps moderators of forums use it too. It speaks of the importance of hearing ALL sides before judging and allows the one last mouse to listen to ALL parties first then help them examine the bigger picture. The one little mouse points out that all sides are valid but together in dialogue they proved a bigger picture existed …and it was indeed a huge elephant. It is a simple colorful book that presents this idea in a non-confrontational way that ALL can understand. Art can be a “universal language” right up there with music, math, dance, and sign language (and we do not have to be deaf to learn that language either - we just have to be motivated to communicate with the hearing impaired.)… You do not have to be proficient in the English language to understand the message of Ed Young’s Seven Blind Mice book mentioned above. Picture books are so important to hang on to… I hope I never graduate  ;)  out of these- or others.

When there is an *elephant-in-the-room* (English idiom)- a moderator’s job is very important.

If there is an elephant-in-the-room let’s hope it is one as kind as Horton.  ;)

Below are links for our readers not familiar with English language or for those who are -but from another continent or culture.
"Elephant-in-the-room" IDIOM defined
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/elephant+in+the+room.html

Who is Horton?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horton_the_Elephant

DHM  :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »
I am partial to "Green Eggs and Ham"... and "The Grinch that Stole Christmas" (a MUST in my multi-religious home each holiday season).

I am also partial to eating popcorn, sitting on sofas, watching such fun that I am underpaid and overworked to help watch/listen. :)

Phyl

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
Btw, anyone outside of Mass should take the link provided with a grain of salt..  It was specifically a Q and A about how the Federal law interacts with the State laws very similar interact with each other.  It wasn't a Q and A about the Federal law and it certainly didn't cover any where near all aspects of it..  (e.g. the provision providing for the "rehab" of pedophiles on indian reservations just to name one)..

Carry on..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:59 pm »
I love Dr. Seuss - when I taught 1st grade I would have a Dr. Seuss day every year on his birthday (March 2 - 2 days before mine!) - we would all dress up, play games and I would fix green eggs (& then we would graph the students' likes and dislikes)...I am realizing more and more what a FUN teacher I was!   :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:54 pm »
Btw, anyone outside of Mass should take the link provided with a grain of salt.. 

... and for those of us living in MA, watching unemployment still rank higher than the national average, watching my downstairs neighbors still not able to afford healthcare (even tho' it's the law here in MA)... watching my dad hit the medicare Rx "donut hole" (although noted to be one of the first points of the new plan to be helped)....and watching me, lose my job in mid-May (after 10 yrs of working for my company) and trying to figure out, with all of my multiple ails, how I'm going to handle the extensive out of pocket..... well, me thinks I'll move me and da bloke, back to his "motherland" (ie: the UK) for healthcare.

Ok, just kidding on that last point.  You all are still stuck with me here.. and I'm still stuck in MA.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »
I love Dr. Seuss - when I taught 1st grade I would have a Dr. Seuss day every year on his birthday (March 2 - 2 days before mine!) - we would all dress up, play games and I would fix green eggs (& then we would graph the students' likes and dislikes)...I am realizing more and more what a FUN teacher I was!   :o

K   ;D

Kaybo

NO “WAS”!

Up until this little gem was brought my attention I though that deafness and facial paralysis was a reason to stay out as “front of the class(room)” as I would put my students at disadvantage.

Here is the movie (only sold in Hallmark stores of all bizarre places) but available on Netflix

Front of the class DVD
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292594/

Trailer on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhyVHLlfXE

Hi amazing book that the film is based on
http://www.amazon.com/Front-Class-Tourette-Syndrome-Teacher/dp/1889242241

Interview about his book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUu42eiawYw

Our acoustic Neuroma journey is not going to be a detriment to us as teachers- it is our ally. (Our cup is not half empty it IS half full)

Know that Daisy Head Maizie does get back into the classroom … but not until after an amazing journey with that abnormal growth in her head.

People want to silence Daizie, remove her, exploit her (Finagle the agent ;) ) … and she does hit a crisis in loneliness but with acceptance and love she went back to the classroom context... to not only be accepted but to fit in just fine.

Kay with your amazing positive attitude, photography ability and now more newfound understanding and compassion for others with struggles and disadvantages (who face discrimination) … NO “was”  here … it should read, “am” .

Re word that in “your mind” to
“I am realizing more and more what a FUN teacher I AM!”

Signed Daisy Head Mayzie
(Just your average kid with a weird thing in her head that has “roots goes down to her brains ”  ;))

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:03:11 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

Kaybo

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »
The majority of my classroom teaching career was AFTER I had AN surgery.  I have never let my (to some) funny looking face stop me - heck, part of the time I even had my eye sewn shut too!   ;D  I have always been of the opinion that my students left MY classroom with a much broader realm of learning than the 3 R's - I stressed PEOPLE and how no matter what they look like on the outside - it is always what is inside that counts.  I have every confidence that I could go back into the classroom tomorrow and pick up where I left off - I chose to quit (& was fortunate enough to do so) and raise my girlies!  Actually, I do still teach monthly RESPECT lessons at the Middle School where Addi attends - even did one in the Boys' Locker Room for about 50 6th Grade boys (acoustics HORRIBLE) - glad no one decided to use the urinal I was facing!!  YIKES!!!!

K   ;D
*once a teacher, always a teacher - just not getting paid for it anymore!*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »
I'm not sure how we've gone from Health Care Reform to Dr. Seuss, but for the record let me just say that my favorite Dr. Seuss' are Too Many Daves and What was I Scared Of? (the one with the pants with nobody inside them).  Come to think of it, I'm not sure these are Dr. Seuss stories - maybe they're just in a book with stories by him  ???

Getting back to the top at hand - I'm totally opposed to this whole Health Care Reform bill  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »
*once a teacher, always a teacher - just not getting paid for it anymore!*

Well not getting paid financially  ;)... but the rewards reaped are greater than anything money can ever by... Especially when spending time with our own kids. Time is more valuable than money isn't it?

I wish more kids, in this world, had more access to their parent(s) than they do their electronic media... that sadly many buy their kids as a substitute.

Teaching in front of a urinal in a boys locker room... THAT is a very funny image- in my mind that is being created on your words here. :D... To have me smirking the entire day (Thanks for sharing that one!  :-*)

More learning does take place outside of the classroom- doesn't it?

DHM  :)

P.S. Jan- hmmm my bike helmet also can double as a popcorn bowl... except the butter leaks out the air hole but the nutritional yeast seem to stay on top.  ;) ;D  Anyone have a good recipe for Caramel popcorn?  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:17:01 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »
... and for those of us living in MA, watching unemployment still rank higher than the national average, watching my downstairs neighbors still not able to afford healthcare (even tho' it's the law here in MA)... watching my dad hit the medicare Rx "donut hole" (although noted to be one of the first points of the new plan to be helped)....and watching me, lose my job in mid-May (after 10 yrs of working for my company) and trying to figure out, with all of my multiple ails, how I'm going to handle the extensive out of pocket..... well, me thinks I'll move me and da bloke, back to his "motherland" (ie: the UK) for healthcare.

OK, just kidding on that last point.  You all are still stuck with me here.. and I'm still stuck in MA.

I guess that means you still plan to attend the AN brunch, right?  :D  Besides, the NHS is notorious for it's waiting lists and sub-par care so I doubt you'd want to move to the UK anytime soon.  Oh, and the current unemployment rate in the U.K. stands at almost 8% (actually, 7.8%), a tad better than Massachusetts 10%-plus, -but not much.  

Unfortunately, the new health care 'reform' law is nothing close to what the politicians who promoted it claimed it would be.  Medicare recipients (Jim reluctantly raises his hand) will see their benefits reduced and taxes will most certainly rise - on everyone - not just the elusive 'rich'.  Major corporations are announcing the cost of the 'reform' and for big companies such as AT&T, it's in the billions (with a 'B').  That won't spur hiring any time soon.  This 'reform' was sold as a boon to the uninsured but all it will really do is lower the quality of our formerly excellent heath care system due to overburdening it and having costs shifted - but not really 'reduced'.  The 'root out waste and fraud in Medicare' rationale used to sell how some of the cost of this 'reform' will be paid for was a fallacy from Day One.  The revenue shortfall will be in the trillions and new taxes will have to be imposed to pay for it, such as the European-model Value Added Tax.  This doesn't include the loss of jobs incurred when businesses downsize or freeze hiring to cover the increased costs of this health care 'reform' law.  In short; we'll all be receiving a lower standard of health care - and paying more for it.  Folks with multiple medical problems, such as you, Phyl, and my wife, (the lovely and gracious) Tina, will be getting far less medical help than previously and paying higher prices for what you do get.  Everyone's health care choices will be curtailed, dictated by unaccountable government bureaucracies.  I don't believe this is what the American people wanted.  Health care reform, yes, but not a draconian alteration of our health care system, run by government bureaucrats and paid for with much higher taxes while we receive a reduced level of medical care, including rationing.  As a very reluctant Medicare recipient, I'm deeply concerned.  We should all be concerned, deeply or otherwise.  This is no small thing that 'other people' will have to deal with.  This will affect every American in one way or another.  Politician's attempts to deny the unpleasant realities (in our health care) that they've wrought or simple partisan political loyalties that want to see only the positive ('everyone is covered!') won't change that. I wish that they could.  

To quote the libertarian/conservative journalist P.J. O'Rourke: If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.  Well, the waiting is about over and the harsh reality is coming to your house very soon.  You may want to call a doctor.  No, wait, that probably won't be covered by the new health insurance 'reform' law.  Oh, well.   I guess elections really do have consequences, which is why I can't wait for the next one (November 2nd - mark your calendar).  

Jim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:41:51 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 06:25:24 pm »
I find Dr Seuss more interesting right now than real ones and the health care /insurance issues ...we have a big Dr Seuss birthday blowout every year at school... you can get your picture with the Cat in The Hat ...we need a new Cat In The Hat for next year ... the one who has done it for last 3 years is going off to high school ... looking for someone who will fit in the costume

I received from my 6th graders teacher  3 Jan Brett books I purchased online from scholastics ...3 Jan Bretts that husband (yes husband) doesn't have ... the girls when small found a Jan Brett they just had to have ...The Mitten ...they got it and printed their hands in front cover and gave it to Daddy for Christmas ...he still reads to them and Jan Brett is a tradition ... he is starting to get a bit gloomy because his babies are growing up

Hey Daisey Head ... I know a garage sale or ebay might gain you some $$$ ...and Goodwill would do so for their cause ... but something we have done and has gone over well is take gently used , outgrown books to school and have teachers give them to kids that don't have many books of their own ... we have a fund during Book Fair week and try to put books in kids hand who otherwise can't afford them ... there are maybe a dozen or so of us that pass our kids books back to school to kids without ...

stemming from watching kids who given a book of their own , read it and take pride in it ...if a kid doesn't have books in his home and only exposed to them at school they kinda become a chore ...I even pick up books from yard sales and Goodwill and thrift store , to redistribute to the have nots ... and for little kids 3rd grade and under we also try to give the haves a book a year too ...never too many books ...

getting back on my ship and abandoning my high jacking operation

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery