Author Topic: the new health bill?  (Read 117070 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: the new health bill?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »
DHM ~

Your concerns regarding how the new 'health care' bill will affect you are completely valid and are shared by millions of Americans.  

Steve's comments regarding the short term effect of the new law ('ObamaCare') being somewhat negligible were accurate and quite helpful .  I'll try to add to his explanation.  Initially, those currently without health care insurance will be mandated to purchase it (or pay a fine).  However, government subsidies will pay for the bulk of the coverage for the currently uninsured.  One way that will happen is by expanding Medicaid eligibility -- with income limits up to nearly $30,000 for a family of four. The other way is by the government subsidizing private coverage through the new 'insurance exchanges'.  Families with incomes between $30,000 and $88,000 a year should be eligible for those subsidies.  For those who have their health care insurance through a relatively 'big' employer, nothing will change, although your annual cost will probably rise, soon.  Those who work for a small business are likely to see their employer drop their health care coverage, making the employee eligible for some kind of government subsidy that will allow them to purchase health care insurance through the newly-created 'health care exchanges' that are formed as a result of this new law.  Younger people, like my son (age 30, single, with employer-supplied health care insurance) will likely see their health care premiums substantially rise.  Beginning this year, people with pre-existing health conditions who have been denied coverage and have been uninsured for six months will be eligible for government-subsidized coverage through a national 'high-risk' insurance 'pool' program. The pool serves as a temporary fix until the insurance exchanges are up and running.  By 2014, insurers may no longer charge individuals and small businesses higher premiums or deny coverage on the basis of pre-existing conditions. 'ObamaCare' contains several Medicare enhancements, i.e. beginning in 2011, preventive services tests and treatments will be covered in full, instead of in part, as is now the case.  However, the legislation also slashes subsidies to private health plans that serve seniors -- so-called "Medicare Advantage" plans which is a minus for millions of Medicare recipients.

What has to be mentioned is that when politicians use the term 'government subsidized' they really mean: the government takes your money (via taxes or fines) to pay for health care insurance for someone else.  The only money the 'government' has is what it receives in taxes on American citizens.  Based on previous large-scale government programs (Medicare, Social Security) the cost of this health care 'reform' will undoubtedly range far beyond the original (rosy) estimate of almost one trillion dollars over ten years or 100 billion per year, making it, in the Washington, D.C. idiom: unsustainable.  I believe that 'rationing' of medical care/procedures will be inevitable and that folks in my general age bracket will get the short end of that deal.  I hope I'm wrong.  In addition, there are many unintended consequences in this 'reform'.  It's not unreasonable to assume that many doctors will likely chose to retire early and young people will not want to take on the years of schooling, intense training and the huge financial burden of becoming a physician when you'll be basically working for the government with bureaucrats telling you who'll you'll treat, how you'll treat them and how much you'll be paid.  Those who believe that Washington politicians can effectively form a gigantic bureaucracy that can add tens of millions of people into the health care system with no loss of quality or availability of treatment and actually save money doing so, are going to be sorely disappointed with this 'reform'.          

I also believe that once 'private' insurance companies are legally mandated to accept those with pre-existing illnesses they'll cease to operate because the element of calculated risk ('underwriting') will have been obliterated and the insurance company can no longer make a profit.  The government will then be 'forced' to 'step in' and offer what is usually referred to as 'single-payer' health insurance.  The 'single payer' now being the federal government.  I do not believe this will be good for AN patients or almost anyone.  I also fail to see how the federal government can force American citizens to purchase health insurance against their will.  I believe that we should all have some form of health insurance and the indigent have long been covered under state Medicaid programs, but for our government to force, by law, punishable by fines enforced by the dreaded IRS (up to $2,2050. or 2% of your income, whichever is greater) a free citizen of the U.S. to purchase health insurance seems to be overreaching and sets a dangerous precedent.  I'm certain this issue will be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court because it is a valid constitutional question and affects everyone in the country, but with the court's decision regarding 'eminent domain' (Kelo v. City of New London - 2005) I'm far from sanguine about this provision of the new national health care bill being struck down as unconstitutional, although I think it should be.  If congress has that kind of power to force otherwise free American citizens to buy something they don't want, what else can they mandate?  The usual comparison to states mandating that you have auto insurance is invalid.  Driving is a privilege...no one has to drive a car if they don't chose to do so.  This law offers no 'opt-out' clause.  I simply don't believe that health care is a 'right', as this bill's supporters claim but I know that in America, anyone can walk into most hospitals and receive medical care.  There are people on the hospital's staff to help those uninsured to procure some sort of payment for their care, usually Medicare. Illegal aliens in the U.S. have been receiving free health care for years, often at the expense of the hospitals they use and the local taxpayers, but that's another issue.  Right now, illegal aliens are not specifically 'covered' by this government scheme but I suspect that it is just a matter of time until they are, depending on the mid-term election results.  

I don't believe the taxpayers of America can afford this health care debacle, which the president and the congressional leaders had to push over the legislative 'finish line' like Bernie Lomax's corpse in the movie 'Weekend at Bernies' (1989), except that was a movie comedy - this is real life...and I'm not laughing.

I know it wasn't limited but I trust my commentary was polite and somewhat informative.

Jim    
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:25:40 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:57 pm »
I trust my commentary was polite but informative.

*passes Jim the bowl of popcorn and a new package of double stuff Oreos for time/energy put forth in the explanation! :) *
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jchughes68

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »
I am just so thankful I have already had my surgery!  I am  VERY concerned for others who yet are to be diagnosed w/AN or any other condition that might deem them "not eligible" for surgery because they are "too old" to "contribute" to society!! How sad!!!
4 x 3 x 3 cm AN, left side
Surgery 9-15-08 at Abbott NW in Minneapolis
Drs. Nagib and Nissen

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »
I only have a couple of things to say.  I have no idea if a country with as large of a population as the US can ever develop a universal health care system that will work effectively (maybe in 100 years after all the kinks have worked themselves out), that will make everybody happy (oh right, like THAT's ever going to happen!), that will cover all the basic needs of our population (there will always be something messed up) and that will work in the long term (none of us will be alive to see it, I don't think..).  Guess we'll find out, if we live long enough.  Next year I will be 65 and I will be going on the "other" government run health care system, Medicare, and I'm looking forward to it, because the insurance that my husband has for me for this one year is okay, but not great.  He is on Medicare and his supplemental insurance now, and he's going to be okay.   I just hope I don't have anything major happen to me this next year.  And it will take years before all of this new health care system goes into full working mode, and by then the people who don't want it, will probably have taken it out of commission.  So, don't panic yet folks (those that are unhappy).  It will take a long time before the dust settles, and I, personally, am proud of President Obama and the Democratic party for at least trying to get through health care plan, after so many years of trying.  This is only the first go-around, and I expect that it will be blown out of the water at some point.  Wish I could pop back in to the US in about 200 years to see if it ever developed into anything.  

Sue in Vancouver USA  
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »
Very informative and very helpful, Jim, I like, you, think this is a travesty.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

grega

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:50 pm »
Thanks for all the great, thorough discussion!

Speaking of movies and popcorn, I expect at least one movie to be made of all this .... hopefully it'll be a spoof, so that we can follow-up this sad situation with some laughter.  And so, perhaps it's time to consider who might play the roles.  No need to list your choices here in this rather serious thread, as that might be considered a highjack (?).

Hope you are not negatively affected by this law.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 02:35:17 pm »
And so, perhaps it's time to consider who might play the roles.  No need to list your choices here in this rather serious thread, as that might be considered a highjack (?).

Hijacks allowed in "AN Community" Mr. Greg :)

Ok, nominations for the roles:

Denzel Washington to play Obama
Laim Neeson (padded up) to play Sen Ted Kennedy (may he rest in peace)
Leslie Neilson to play Biden
Helen Mirren to play Nancy Palosi (she happens to do a terrific 'Merican accent!)
Brad Pitt to play the newly elected Sen Scott Brown (R-MA)

Ok, had no chocolate, but too much fun to pass this up.

*sits back down to enjoy fat-free popcorn*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:59 pm »
I don't think Brad Pitt would agree to play a republican.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 02:54:01 pm »
I don't think Brad Pitt would agree to play a republican.

Sara

true.... but.... he's got the looks for the part... and Brad and Angie have a lot of mouths to feed... if the price were right.... hmmm........

lori67

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 03:12:20 pm »
Phyl, your choice for Biden is perfect!  Either him or Lloyd Bridges - he was good at playing a clueless leader in Hot Shots.   :D

I think we scratch Brad Pitt (too much drama) and let LA David take that role! 

For Nancy Pelosi, I'm thinking someone from Saturday Night Live...  I'd play her myself, I have the dark hair, but with this pesky facial paralysis, I can't get my face to stay stuck in a permanent smile like she does.   ::)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 03:46:40 pm »
*bites toungue*  Those of you who have me as a friend on FB know where I stand on this issue.  Those that don't know where I stand, I don't want to be kicked out like Jan for foul language.  So, I'll just sit on the couch with everyone else eating popcorn and oreos.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 03:51:55 pm »
Hey Phyl, bring out more popcorn! 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

grega

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »
OMG .... what did I start?  But hope all have fun with it.  And hope DHM doesn't mind the "hijack", even tho you, Phyl, say it's OK herein.

When I mentioned this, I really had no one in mind .... just the overall concept of the health care issue in congress being presented a bit lighter than it actually has been presented to the American public, and the world, for the better part of the last year.  That's why I suggested a spoof. 

Liam Neeson as Ted seems somewhat serious.  How bout that comedian that does all the impersonations .... name?

Nielson as the VP is good, but my choice is a spittin image .... Jeff Dunham's "Walter".

Lori, you're good to suggest the permanent smile ..... so if you keep practicing and make it work  .... I'd vote for you in a heartbeat!  Otherwise .... Jim Carrey  ;D

Two other additions for bit parts in the background .... Pee Wee Herman as Rahm E. and the bad guy from "Ghost" as Turbotax Tim.

More later, possibly.
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 07:52:15 pm »
Oh so many things to say here ... hmmmmmmmmmmm

First ... I had surgery with Cigna in force ... we were switched to BCBS of Tennessee sub something S (S stands for sucks) (hope that won't get me booted) and were told it would be a seamless transition from Cigna ... it has not been ... they have argued that treatment order by doctors to follow AN symptoms are unnecessary ... refused to pay for treatment such as lyrica for headaches etc etc ... so I am already being treated as pre-existing ... under this I can still be treated as pre-existing til 2014 ... a status I have been trying to shed with little luck... what they really have us all on is a high deductible plan that saves us less than a hundred dollars a month over what our Cigna policy cost but costs us more in long run ... office visits that once had a $20 under Cigna now cost me full price ...anywhere from $49 -$98 ...MRIs in December 2008 were not paid on at all ... I didn't do scans that were recommended to be re-done in Dec 2009 because I just paid off the 2008 in October and I am not the only one in this family with needs that involve what  money we have ...my husbands place of employment has 55 people ...will this be a small business that will drop their coverage and we will pick up insurance trough a health care exchange…what counts as small ... and will I be any better off  if we are dropped and have to go elsewhere … I have already look for insurance and can’t get anyone to tale me on  at a price we can afford …

that is probably more than a first but I will continue ...

Second ....Sue in Vancouver ... being on Medicare is not a guarantee that you will be adequately covered ... December 2007 my mom had a mastectomy ... she wanted both breast removed but they wouldn't do it ... at that time she was on her employee plan ... she was no longer to work after treatments that left her with new problems ... she was allowed to keep insurance until she turned 67 and went on Medicare in July 2009 ... she had finished chemo and radiation before switchover ...they picked up  most drug costs  and all seemed well ... December 2009 she discovered lumps in remaining breast and was told she would not receive a mammogram or biopsy until April 2010 because her medication had used up her cancer coverage for the year ... she fought until February to get this turned over and then just decided to wait it out ... she can get needed tests in about 3 weeks ...but she fears it is too late as lumps have grown ... she was told this was due to cut backs gearing up for health reform bill ... blah blah blah ....hope you have better luck with them than she has

Third .... I kinda like Denzel Washington and not sure I want him to play Obama

Fourth …as always Jim , a well thought out post with great info in easier to understand sentences than the politicians and insurance companies use

and lastly ... did you know that after Christmas at our Walmart you can get Christmas Oreos for half price ...last year got we spring ones that had Easter eggs on them and blue filling for half price the day after Easter ... Halloween ones with ugly orange filling on November 1st ...again half price ... I called a friend in Alabama and told her of this remarkable phenomenon and she went to her Walmart and they did not participate in this reduction of price citing Oreos are Oreos no matter the color
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 08:30:01 pm »
I have gotten them 1/2 price before but usually they are sold out WAY before the actual holiday...guess you are not eating enough Oreos up there!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!