Author Topic: Cochlear BP100 vs. Oticon Ponto Pro: A side-by-side comparison  (Read 21505 times)

rust1975

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Cochlear BP100 vs. Oticon Ponto Pro: A side-by-side comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:03:31 am »
Russ -

where's the rest of the comparison?  I'm only seeing pictures.

Did a little comparison of my own a few months back.  You'll find it at http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11170.0

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:05 am »
HI Russ,

Thanks for the pictures I have never even seen one of these devices and I will surely be in the market soon.  They are really similar in size.  :)

Sue in Michigan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:49 pm »
What also may be helpful to have in the pictures is something by which you can guage the actual size of the units..  A ruler or something like that..  As they are, the units look big and bulky, but I have no frame of reference for the actual size..

Just a thought..  Good pics, though.

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

rust1975

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:47 pm »
I'll be taking some new pics with a quarter in it for reference. Thanks for the idea, Brian!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:55:42 pm »
Pooter -

a couple of us have posted our BAHA pictures on the Forum.  Here are mine http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

This is the Divino.  My BP100 is still on back order, but it's the same size as the Divino; only a slight bit thinner.  The Ponto Pro is comparable to both the Divino and the BP100, but as you can see from Russ' pictures it's a different shape.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rust1975

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:03:26 pm »
Pictures with a quarter for reference.

I'll do a audio comparison when I have more time with each. For now, a "side-by-side comparison" is exactly that - pictured side-by-side.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:04:10 am »
Jan, I have seen those pictures before, however it's still difficult to guage the true size..  What if you have big hands?  That would mean the unit is actually smaller than it "looks" in those pics.. Same with size of your head (no offense)..  Without a standard-sized frame of reference (i.e. a quarter like Russ used) it makes visualizing the size without having the actual unit in my hand difficult.

Russ, exactly the frame of reference that makes it better...  So, they're both slightly bigger than a quarter..  I'm interested in your comparison side-by-side on the sound quality..

It should be noted that the sound quality from one person to the next may be very different depending on how well YOUR skull transmits the sound, placement of the abutment, etc...  But, one person's point of view is very valuable, nonetheless..

Thanks!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Esperanza

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:10 am »
I am looking in with interest but, sorry, I have no idea how big a quarter is!
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
I am curious here. Do both of these units snap on to the exact same abutment? For instance would the BP-100 snap inside and the Ponto Pro on the outside?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:56 pm »
I am looking in with interest but, sorry, I have no idea how big a quarter is!

;D

About the size of a shilling, from what I read via Google, or a 5p coin.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:17:02 am »
I am curious here. Do both of these units snap on to the exact same abutment? For instance would the BP-100 snap inside and the Ponto Pro on the outside?

Sara -

they do snap on the same abutment (at least currently) and you are correct, the BP100's "stem" snaps on the inside of the abutment and the Ponto Pro snaps on the outside - it kind of "embraces" the abutment.

The stem on the BP100 is actually sturdier than it looks - it's the same one on the Divino and I've had no issues with mine (used it for 2 years now).

One of the thoughts that people are having about the Ponto Pro is that it might sit too close to the head to give it good sound quality, but in all fairness, nothing has been scientifically proven.

I say the abutments are the same currently, because there is talk that one of the companies may decide to change theirs.  I thought this would be a huge issue for current BAHA wearers because then we wouldn't have the choice of devices, but my doc assured me that it's a simple fix.  The top of the abutment (part that's attached to the rod implanted in the skull) can easily be changed with a screw driver.  He said that's what happened when Cochlear took over Entific.

Brian -

understand your question about size.  Have you ever seen a BAHA device in person?  If you decide to get one, I strongly recommend doing so.  I saw my first "live" BAHA at a local ANA support group meeting.  A woman was gracious enough to show me her head and demonstrate how the device is taken off and put back on.  Perhaps you should look for a Cochlear BAHA meeting in your area.  They are very informative.  Grega had a thread going about them - I think it's in the hearing category - or you can get info on the Cochlear website.

And, to address your hand point, yes, Steve already established the fact that I have large hands  ;)  But you know what they say "Big hands, big heart".  Or maybe that was another body part  :D

Jan

Esperanza

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 09:41:35 am »
That would be about 'old' 5p size then - our 'newer' ones are very titchy!  Thank you kindly Steve  :D
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 01:08:00 pm »
I have a youtube video where a person is getting fitted with a BAHA here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbPKHTwHqU0  It might give you an idea how big it is on a person.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

rust1975

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »
Not to keep anyone in suspense, but just wanted to add a quick note.

I'm super stoked!

After months of trying to get this BP100 tuned up (since September and back to the audi on Wednesday, March 17 for more tuning), I stuck a battery in my Ponto Pro while I'm waiting take that along with me the same day. And I have to say, even though it was shipped directly to me with factory settings, I'm hearing infinitely better than I've been able to with the BP100. Admittedly, the first program will need a little tweaking to bring more high end into it but the noticeable difference is on the noise reduction properties. The Ponto, to me, sounds more natural and doesn't kill noise and backgrounds with a "whooosh" tail like the BP100 does. My voice also is a perfect volume and feels like a part of me unlike the BP100 where it's always sounded apart of me (bottom of the barrel effect). Can't wait to get it tuned up!

More to come, stay tuned!