Author Topic: Cochlear BP100 vs. Oticon Ponto Pro: A side-by-side comparison  (Read 21504 times)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: Cochlear BP100 vs. Oticon Ponto Pro: A side-by-side comparison
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 01:51:05 am »
Might have been a mistake for me to get the abutment placed on the side opposite of where I'm used to wearing my previous bone oscillator (bone conduction hearing aid) the past 30 years. ...sigh...

I have to disagree.  I'm glad to get rid of the bone conductor on the headband after 47 years.  I'm tired of painful and sores after each night and I don't want to put it on ever again.  Baha is probabvly the best thing for me and I don't regret it.  Now I have bilateral Bahas.  What the heck have I been missing after all these years?  Of course, Baha is not perfect but at least for me, it's much better.  I guess some people just have luck and others don't.  Sorry to hear it's not working out for you.

Sounds like you were like me with the bone conduction aid on a band thing. My question really is: did I learn how to hear and only exercise the muscles in my bone oscillator side at the expense of deadening my other side where the abutment now sits? Do you remember having an adjustment period once you got the baha on your "not normal" side? Any stories might be insightful for me. Thanks!

Well to tell you the truth,  There was a time for adjustment period at first with a single Baha.  I never had a normal hearing or SSD.  I was born with the hearing problem on both sides.  Yes, there was an adjustment after I got my second Baha (roughly 6 months later) and it took time to learn how to adjust my hearing and having the volume set different on both units.  I am really glad to get rid of the headband for one thing.  I was thinking that maybe, the Dinivo or BP100 might not be powerful enough that you should have tried the Intenso which it's more powerful.  Just a thought.  ::)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

grega

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 09:28:29 am »
Hi all,

Very interesting thread re tinnitus, which I know will not improve with baha.  I've stated before I think best way to try to ignore it is to stay active with other things .... anything .... just so that your focus is not on it.  I hear my T louder when I'm on this forum just cause I'm thinking about it  :o.  Good luck with all your diversions .... hope they work for you!

Anyway, Jan, thanks for the offer and adding that to the AN calendar, but hold your baha just a minute there!  The process will proceed if I get favorable feedback from my insurance company.  Waiting for that now.  I'll let ya know.

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 11:03:54 am »
Damn, guess I jumped the proverbial gun.  I was just so excited about another BAHA user on the Forum  ;D

I'll leave your date on the calendar, grega, in the hopes that everything is a go.

If something changes, please let me know.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways