Author Topic: To those with Blinkeze...  (Read 14276 times)

Kaybee

To those with Blinkeze...
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:26:38 am »
How long can you get one adhesive to stay on?  Sometimes I change a couple of times in the day.  Is this normal for you?  Any tips to get it to stick longer?  Thanks!  I really like the weight.  I just feel llike I'm going through too many adhesives. 
2 x 3 x 4 cm tumor removed at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis 10/30/09
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

cinnamon

Re: To those with Blinkeze...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »
I had to change my adhesive a couple of times a day also. I have to tell you, using the weight helped my eye substantially. I have been without it for I guess 2 years but everyone noticed how much it helped. I did get embarrassed once when it came off at a luncheon meeting. I am sorry I don't know how to keep it on better but don't get too frustrated and stop using it. I now tape my eye shut each night. I am a true believer that the eye weight helps!

Lisa H.
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Kaybee

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Thanks Lisa!  And thanks for the motivation.  I have had it 2 weeks now.  My opthamologist noticed that my cornea was dryer when I had my appt yesterday.  But I'm sticking with it and will just keep lubing up my eye!
Left facial paralyis/SSD (showed first signs of improvement at approximately 6 months post-op)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:52:29 am »
  Any tips to get it to stick longer?  

You need to clean the eyelid, really well, before application of the eye weight with the adhesive strip
Here is a product I used
Picture
http://www.ocusoft.com/PatientCat/images/ldscrub-prepads-L.png

If you cannot find it at you local pharmacy you can order it through here
http://www.ocusoft.com/PatientCat/lidscrub.htm

Once you eyelid function returns, to some sort of normalcy, you will be able to get away with just using a washcloth with water again.

Know that you can also order more adhesive strips
CATALOG # DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE
LL 0505 Box of Tape 100 strips $   15

Link
http://www.graphicartswest.com/randy/printing/pricelist.pdf
Contact
http://www.meddev-corp.com/4%20contact/Contact%20Us.2.htm

I went though many strips at 1st as I got used to the eye-weight. Then I usually wore it for 24 hours straight. I needed mine for a year-off and on. Now I do not wear it at all – nor need drops. If I rub my eye after removing eye make up sometimes I have a regression in my eyelid function. Be careful not to rub the muscle, nerves, & tissue around the eye.

I also recommend you stay clear of ALL eye make up (and make up removers) until eyelid function returns.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 02:38:06 pm »
You can also call MedDev customer service and ask about alternative adhesives. There are some medical grade adhesives that last longer than the little strips. If I recall correctly, it would require a prescription from your ophthalmologist.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybee

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 08:57:15 am »
Thanks!  I haven't gotten one to stick for 24 hours but I'm getting there.  The one I'm wearing now stayed on all night (happily I was not rummaging through my sheets to find the little guy).  I do clean it well although will give Occusoft cleanser a try.  The other thing I have noticed is that the positioning is key.  I position it a little off center at night to push down the inner part of the eyelid so my eye does not feel scratchy the next morning.  (If I keep it in the center, I don't think I get full closure when I sleep.) But at work during the day I position it on the center where it still "blinks" the eye but the corner doesn't fall into my line of vision as it would if I wore it off center all day.  I think the key for new Blinkeze users is to play around with the position a little.  DHM and Sara, thanks for the ordering tips.  I was under the impression my opthamologist's office would have to order replacements and it would be more of a hassle than if I could just do it myself. 

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »
Hey Kaybee-
Great tips on positioning the Blinkeze.  I had to laugh as I was reading this because it got me to thinking about my Blinkeze would kind of flop over my eyelid,  in spite of the challenges of putting it and keeping it on, it was such a help to me when I couldn't blink.
Keep smiling - and keep blinking,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

martyc

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »
Hi there,
So you wear yours at night?  I had to when I left for a trip without my adhesives, but it was not very comfortable.  It's the first thing I take off when I get home and then put ointment in.  I have found that MedDev's adhesives are not quite long enough, so I use two to make sure the entire weight is covered, then position in the center of my lid and hold it for 30 seconds.  Also, before applying the adhesives, I use an alcohol swab to dry the weight as well as my lid and lash line.  Then it's all dry and holds the adhesive in place.  I rarely have to switch adhesives during the day and use Celluvisc every 10-15 minutes until I get home.  It works without too much trouble thankfully.
Hope that helps,
Marty
Marty

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:00 am »
I use an alcohol swab to dry the weight as well as my lid and lash line.  Then it's all dry and holds the adhesive in place.

:o

OMG

NEVER put alcohol near your eye. If it gets in the eye you could cause serious damage.

Use this as these are much safer

UcuSoft Lid Scub eye lid cleanser
http://www.ocusoft.com/LidScrubPLUSAtWalgreens.pdf

(No I am not promoting the product or the store- I just don't want you to risk any eye damage. If there is a generic of this out there I don't know about it- yet. This is the the info sheet on the product- that you can google too.)

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:07 am »
Ditto what DHM said!  Use the OcuSoft - it's great and won't sting or hurt your eye.  I use it almost every day to clean the gel that slips out of my eye overnight. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »
A little off topic but I have a 1.8 Gram MedDev Blinkeze Free to a Good Eyelid. DM me if interested! Comes complete with a neat little case and tons of adhesive strips.
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

thisisajourney

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:43:32 pm »

How long can you get one adhesive to stay on?  Sometimes I change a couple of times in the day.  Is this normal for you?  Any tips to get it to stick longer?  Thanks!  I really like the weight.  I just feel like I'm going through too many adhesives.  
im sorry i  dont have that answer for you  but i was wondering if you  had the information for the weight? my name is michelle  ** email removed **
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:28:10 am by Joef »

Chris0106

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:01:53 pm »
Sorry, but I'm new to this whole problem.  Just had 3 cm AN removed in March and have been struggling trying to get any information I can especially regarding my right eye.  It is kiilling me - doesn't close or blink.  I have been using eye drops constantly and no one (even my doctor) is offering any help or ideas.  So my question is what is Blinkeze? 

Chris     

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:27 pm »
Hi Chris: Blinkeze is an external weight applied to the outside of the upper eyelid tp help the 'weak' eyelid blink.  I have a platinum weight applied to the inside of my eyelid.  It helps with blinking as the right side of my face is totally paralyzed.
Someone should have told you something about protecting the cornea from drying out which can cause a corneal ulcer, which can lead to blindness.
I have total facial paralysis on my right/AN side.  I use Refresh PM ointment exclusively to keep my cornea moist.  I also have an internal platinum eye weight in.
People who expect their face to improve stick with an external weight (Blinkeze) as it's not permanent.  Hope this helps.  Please continue to ask any questions you need to so you have complete understanding about this.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Chris0106

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:52 pm »
Thanks Nancy!  Hopefully I can get an appt. to see a doctor ASAP!  It's hard to believe that not one of the doctors I have asked had any idea what to do except tape the eye shut.  This forum has been the best source of information and support available and I am very happy to have found it!   :)

Chris