Author Topic: depression is depressing; need prayers for daughter  (Read 20912 times)

Jill Marie

Re: depression is depressing; need prayers for daughter
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:40 pm »
Just wanted to give this board two thumbs up for being so supportive of ALL the issues that affect the lives of the members!  Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 08:08:38 am »
Haven't checked in on this in a while (we are having MAJOR issues with our sweet 8 YEAR OLD who has major outbursts & runs from her classroom screaming!!)...Keri, hope everything is going well having Noely at home - you are definitely in my thoughts & prayers!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:53 am »
Keri,

I hope things are working out well with Noely at home now.  You must be relieved to be able to see and hold her, but I certainly can imagine it's difficult to wonder what the next moment may bring.  Hang in there.

Laz,  I certainly appreciate you sharing your story with us too.  It's so important for others to know how many people are affected by things like this.  You just never know when it could hit close to home and what a relief it must be to know that others have been there and gotten through it.  I have successfully gotten 2 of my kids to young adulthood without any major issues, but still have 2 little ones to go.  I think it's important to be able to recognize the signs of a potental problem as early as possible, and like you said, you get more useful information from "real" people sometimes.

Prayers all around today!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:04 am »
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers and words of encouragement.

I appreciate those who have shared what they are going through with teens daughters  (or daughters) and/or family members and friends. It helps to know when others are going through this too.

Noely is back home and is transitioning back into school. It's kind of challenging for her. Right now our big struggle as parents are the choices, i.e., when to trust (as in leave her alone/give her space) or when to check up on her; when to push / motivate and when to back off and ease up a bit, things like that. She's made progress. I have heard this is a cycle, a thing you deal with for possibly several years. That's ok. We're doing better overall. A few weeks ago it all seemed so dark. It was scary and we were scared for Noely. She's doing better, she wants to get better. She makes some progress but there's bad days too. But that's life too.

I've certainly learned a lot about depression and my thoughts on it. I've had so many people express what they've been through. I think it's a postive thing that mental illness can be talked about more openly and not seem so 'hush hush.'

Thank you again!
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 09:07:23 am »
Keri, I so hope it goes better for her and all of you now.     That would be very hard to not know what is the best way to act around her and give her space or if should not.          Glad to hear how it's going!
                                                                 Cheryl R   
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »
Keri ~

Thanks for updating your daughter's struggle with depression and the efforts you and your husband are making to help Noely.  I'm so pleased to learn that she is improving and that you, as her parents, are coping with the situation fairly successfully. The fact that you stated she wants to get better is a huge plus.  Without that kind of self-motivation, her future might remain cloudy. As it is, things are looking much better for all of you and that is a real spirit-lifter for many of us who care about you, your husband and your daughter.  That we can more openly discuss these mental/emotional issues with honesty is certainly a big improvement and probably why there is much more success in treating those with depression these days....especially teens, who always have it tough.  I hope and will pray for continued improvement for your daughter and strength as well as patience for you and your husband.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »
Hi Keri .....

So good to that overall Noely is doing better.  Being a teen these days is hard enough without the emotional upheavals she is having to endure.  Yes, it is hard to know when to push and when to back off, but I know, with God's help, you will be able to sense which is best.

My love, thoughts, and prayers are constantly with you!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Dana

• Hi!
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »
Dear Keri et al,
It's taken me awhile to post because your reality struck so close to home.  The wonderful folks on this board gave you good advice.  In particular, DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Association) is an excellent online source.  They even have online support groups that meet at certain times.

Odd for me to not respond earlier because depression is the big cause in my life.  One aim is to help destignmatize it.  The other is to help folks understand it better.  Overcoming depression  is and will always be the biggest accomplishment of my life.  I have researched it (both subjectively and objectively) for many years -- perhaps I can shed some more light.  The primary thing is that it is important to catch it early so that it doesn't become ingrained in the brain.  That's what you're doing, which makes me happy!  When I was a teenager in the '60's, there really wasn't any way to 'catch it early," even though my parents were social workers and about as progressive as possible.

It seems like you, Keri, have come to understand it better.  Depression is not necessarily 'sadness'; it's BOREDOM, not being interested in anything, hopelessness, and "busy mind," thoughts of the hopelessness going over and over and over in your mind.

The way I see it, there are three components:  chemical, life-experience, and cognitive.  The basis of it all is in the chemical -- you have to go through the TORTUOUS process of finding the right meds.  I've always resentfully thought that it's the cruelest joke that it takes weeks for the anti-depressive effect of meds to take (or not)  effect.  (The side effects manifest immediately.)  But one must find the right ones.  The analogy I give is that, if you lost a leg, you couldn't learn to walk again until you had a prosthesis.

And - a particular bugaboo of mine is this widespread thought that teenagers shouldn't be given anti-depressants --- WRONG.  I can't thank you enough for LEARNING ENOUGH to know that your daughter needs the meds.  Not only for her current emotional state, but also because of that third aspect - the cognitive.  The sooner your daughter's brain quits repeating the depressing stuff to itself, the better.  The brain gets into the habit of repeating bad stuff to itself, and this perpetuates depression into a decades-long problem. 

So - #1 work at getting the meds right.  One note - sometimes the original brand (eg Lexapro) works for a person when the generic brand (eg Celexa) doesn't.

#2 - life experience and counseling.  If the meds are helping the brain chemicals, then it's POSSIBLE to deal with the life experiences both in the past and coping in the present.  As everyone has said, it must be incredibly difficult to be a teenager these days; it's good to have an adult you trust -- and good I think to have an adult to trust that's not a parent, in ADDITION to wonderful parents - to help you think your actions through.

3 - cognitive therapy.  I've not done too much of it (and I should!) but cognitive therapy is different than what I'd call "talk therapy' - #2 above.  Cognitive therapy helps you break those brain thought patterns that feed depression.  I know that in some cities, some health care providers, there are separate Cognitive Therapy classes/groups.  Usually have a short time frame, maybe once a week for 6 weeks, where you learn different techniques for breaking the brain's habits.  It gives you tools for life.

So, what are other everyday things to do?
Perhaps your daughter would be open to learning about depression.  The more one knows, the more objective one's illness becomes.  My favorite book is Shadow Syndromes by John Ratey. 

Cultivate hobbies that distract the brain.  Like you said, bake those cookies!  My lifelong thing is doing picture/logic puzzles.  I like both color/art and arithmetic, so it works for me.  I do them everyday before going to sleep*.   www.conceptispuzzles.com.  Obviously, the list of possible detail-oriented hobbies is endless.  I like the cookies idea because it includes giving them away, connecting with other people.

*Which reminds me - if she's a "sleeper" (that is, likes to sleep), be grateful.  A common symptom of depression is insomnia, that is, the brain going over and over and over the hopelessness.  Doesn't do ANY good.  I've always been grateful that I'm a "sleeper" - escape whenever possible!! 

Obviously, staying involved with people -- getting out there.  I'm so glad to hear that she has supportive friends and know that she has an understanding and proactive family. 

Just please know that being depressed is hell.  What can I say?  Everything that everyone said could all be causal components - a special needs sibling, teenage hormones, etc etc.  It's a fine line between giving her room and giving her structure.  I guess I'd say, try to give her structure that matches her personality, and let her take freedoms that are less harmful vs more harmful.  One little secret about cutting - it makes the pain very local, and distracts one from the much larger pain of depression.

Needless to say, you have all my best wishes.  If you ever want to talk, here or offline, I'm here. 

I do want to add that, although it's sometimes a daily struggle, I HAVE overcome depression.  I have a good life, a good relationship, a job I love, good friends. 

Love,
Dana 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:00:21 am by Dana »
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.