Author Topic: Remember me?  (Read 3194 times)

TaraT

Remember me?
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:54 am »
The day would not be complete if I didn't come on here.  I hope you guys remember me.  I had my surgery at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh on March 24, 2009.  I cannot believe it has been a year.  What a year it has been!  First, I want to thank everyone in this forum for helping me through that difficult time.  A little over a year ago, I did not even know what an acoustic neuroma was.  I found this forum and got the support I needed to get through it.  I look back on that day and I remember being so calm.  I was not even afraid.  I felt so prepared and ready to get it over with.  I thank each and every one of you for that.  You guys are so amazing! 

It has been a rough year.  I still have headaches every day.  I am down to about 4 ibuprofen a day.  That is a big change from about 12-14 the first few months.  My facial palsy is a 3/6.  I can smile which makes me really happy.  A lot of people tell me they can't really notice.  My eye closes but does not blink.  It took awhile to get used to being deaf on the one side.  It makes conversation so difficult at times.  The ringing is so loud, but I have kind of gotten used to that.  My only new development has been a seizure.  I had one in January.  They are not sure what caused it.  So now I am on Keppra for that. 

Well, like I said, the day would not be complete until I posted on here.  I am so thankful to be a postie!  Thanks Anissa for all of your support!

Take care!  Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

moe

Re: Remember me?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:28 am »
Tara,
Thanks for the one year update. So sorry to hear about the seizure, how scary.
I'm sure the next year will be better for you. The first year after AN brain surgery, you just never know what kind of symptoms you get until... you get em!
Part of the journey..Good hearing from you (one sided).  ;) Keep truckn :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:26 am »
Thanks for sharing, Tara! So glad you're past the one year milestone. I was one year at the end of January. Hard to believe what we were going through a year ago!

I hope you continue to adjust/adapt/recover well. I hope the seizures aren't an issue any more.

One of these days I'll get a BAHA. Are you going to look into that? Right now, it's kind of a pain being SSD, but it's alright too. I still have some facial issues too, but they've improved.

Take care, and check in again!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:20:41 pm »
Hi, Tara ~

I certainly remember you - and let me hasten to add my thanks for your 1-year update, although I'm sorry to learn of your problems over the past 12 months.  I trust that you'll steadily improve as this year unfolds.  However, the seizure you recently experienced must have been scary.  I hope and will pray that doesn't re-occur.  Please try to stay connected here.  We care about what is happening with your recovery and want to continue to encourage and support you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »
I remember you ... happy anniversary ... hope you continue to do well and adjust ... it is an ongoing process and I think the first year is the hardest ...

did you know you are suppose to go out or have someone take you out , and buy your self gifts ???  :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:55 pm »
Tara,

I remember you also..  Thanks for thinking about us on your 1 year ANniverary..  Bummer about the seizure.  I hope that's the only one that you have..  I realize the first year was rough, but let's hope that year 2 and beyond is uneventful and great!

Don't let another year go by before you drop us a line..  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

TaraT

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 03:31:59 pm »
Thank you so much for the replies.  I do hope the first year is the hardest.  The seizure certainly was weird.  I thought I was dying...for real.  Keri, my doctor never brought up the BAHA yet.  I think with all the other problems he thought he would wait.  I'm not so sure on it anyway.  Thanks for remembering me.  I'll make sure it isn't another year before I come back on again.  Like I said before, I couldn't have done it without you guys!  Have a great weekend!  Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6