Author Topic: A question for women only.  (Read 10630 times)

amymeri

A question for women only.
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:48:10 am »
Have any of the women who had ANs in their 30,40,50 have a change in their menstrual cycle?

I ask this question because my surgeons and doctors expected that I might have an earlier than expected menopause, and indeed I did notice a change in my periods (closer together, shorter) after surgery and now 4 years out I am having symptoms of peri0menopause about 10 years before my mother and aunt experienced it.

Thanks for your insights on this.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Kaybo

Re: A question for women only.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »
I don't know anything about this but I will be watching to see what everyone says!!  I am almost 40, you know... ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

turbomom

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:05 pm »
Hello,
I am 47 with a diagnosed AN in July 2009. Currently waiting and watching, but am getting closer to probably electing surgery. In regards to your question..... my cycles are whacked. They are crazy and have been this way for about 3 years. There'll be nothing one month and the next month I am keeping the hygiene business afloat (haha).  :)I have not asked my regular physician if there is any correlation, but it's a thought. Will be interesting to see the response from other women. Another thought: my vitamin D level has been in the basement. Have had several injections and I am taking a daily supplement. I am not an inside person, so I am exposed to the sun alot. Just cannot seem to absorb the Vit. D.
Take care,
Lisa
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »
Hi I'm 38 and my cycle is regular like clockwork.  Even when I was bodybuilding and extreme dieting I was regular, so I guess no AN hasn't caused any problems for me in that area.
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:53:02 pm »
I did notice a change in my periods (closer together, shorter) after surgery

This is to be expected after anesthesia, steroids, pain meds etc

now 4 years out I am having symptoms of peri0menopause about 10 years before my mother and aunt experienced it.

Thanks for your insights on this.

Chart the days you start you period each month. Come up with 3 months of record taking and then go see an OBGYN and have your hormone level checked. If they can figure out if you are a 21 or 28-day cycle etc and know the 1st day of the last period they can test. They like to do this at the time you suspect ovulation as to see what the highest levels are.

I note on your signature that you had trigeminal nerve issues. I am not that versed on psychology so I am asking, “how close it that cranial nerve to the pituitary and pineal glands?” Some one with more physiology background maybe can help us out here.

Was anything noted on your most recent  MRI close to the pituitary or pineal glands?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »
I was 42 when I had my surgery.  Sometime since then my periods have gotten closer together.  Almost always exactly 4 weeks apart when they used to be closer to 32 days.  Since I'm 46 now I'm thinking it might be perimenopause.  My mother had a hysterectomy at age 28 so I don't know when someone in my family might go through menopause. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »
This is a topic that's been discussed on the Forum more than once.

I can't remember the "outcome" though.  When I get a chance I'll have to search and attach a link.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:33 pm »
44-45 next week...was as regular as clock work until my babies were born at 37 and 40. After my second things went to heck in hand basket. I am currently using Mirena due to very heavy flow after Thomas was born. Since the Mirena I never know when I'm going to have some spotting or nothing at all...

My Mom and Aunts went through early menopause. All 5 of them, at between 40-50 years old.

Soo...I don't think I'm of any help. Sorry.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

amymeri

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:03 am »
Thanks everyone

I am definitely peri-menopausal.  I have many symptoms.  But since I am so much earlier than my mother AND my twin sister and older sister are still having regular periods I just wondered if the earlier menopause might have something to do with the AN or surgery.  Since I am within normal for perimenopause I don't know if I will ever really know the answer though.  I always thought it curious when my doctors asked me if I was experiencing any signs--they obviously thought I would.  And then VOILA...I was!

BTW:  My vitamin D is also low.  I think this seems to be the most "recent" epidemic going around....or maybe they are just looking now. 
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:35:55 am »
hi my cycle was all ove the place for the 5 years before i found out i had AN, i was 43 when it was removed and that was the last time i had a bleed , i am now 3 years post op, really strange, i have always said homones may be involved.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:57 pm »
I started menopause at age 48.     The next year found the AN and surgery and then onward and upward to NF2.        6 yrs later started off and on again bleeding and finally did the hyst last summer.     I asked Slattery at the symposium if could be NF2 related and he did not think so.   I did take hormones for 4 yrs but I know I was having AN symptoms before I ever took any.           My surgeon does not believe ANs and hormones are related but who knows.                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »
Oh, this one has been tossed around here for years...... so, I did a little digging.... there has been talk in the medical community about AN's and Estrogen receptors. Now, I just did an online search and found these 2 studies that have been done in the past few years.... btw, note Dr. Wiet's name affiliated with the 2nd one.... he's such a nice man! :)

Phyl

========================================

Out of Toronto:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2637072/?tool=pubmed

ABSTRACT
Objectives: To determine if a relationship exists between the presence of estrogen receptors (ER), progesterone receptors (PR), or vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and the size, growth rate, and behavior of vestibular schwannoma tumors. Design: Nine tumor samples from young female patients with large vestibular schwannoma tumors were preselected because they were presumed to be faster growing, more aggressive tumors. Immunohistochemical staining was performed using monoclonal mouse antibodies to ER, PR, and VEGF. Results: The mean age of the study sample was 32.3 years, mean tumor size was 3.2 cm, and the average growth rate was 0.4 cm per 2 months. The results of immunohistochemical staining for ER and PR in all nine samples were unequivocally negative. Eight of nine tumor samples stained positive for VEGF, with five demonstrating low intensity and three demonstrating moderate intensity staining. Conclusions: There is histopathological evidence for the expression of VEGF in vestibular schwannomas but not for ER and PR. Further studies are necessary to determine the role of VEGF and other molecular pathways in the growth of vestibular schwannomas and the application of anti-VEGF therapy as a potential treatment option in the future.

http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/116/2/202

Estrogen and Progesterone Receptors in Acoustic Neuromas
Leif Klinken, MD, PhD; Jens Thomsen, MD, PhD; Birgitte Bruun Rasmussen, MD, PhD; Richard J. Wiet, MD; Mirko Tos, MD, PhD
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1990;116(2):202-204.

Abstract
• Acoustic neuromas are more frequent, larger, and more vascular in women, and their growth rate increases during pregnancy. Estrogen receptors were claimed to be demonstrated in these neoplasms for the first time in 1981. Since then, numerous diverging studies, using various biochemical and histochemical methods, have been published on the contents of estrogen and progesterone receptors in acoustic neuromas. We determined the content of estrogen and progesterone receptors by means of an immunohistochemical method, using monoclonal antibodies, which has proved to be reliable, reasonably sensitive, and clinically relevant in other tissues, especially in breast carcinomas. No estrogen or progesterone receptors could be found in 18 consecutive acoustic neuromas from 7 men and 11 women, ranging in age from 26 to 73 years. The results do not support preoperative hormone treatment of acoustic neuromas.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:49:00 pm »
Amy,

My doc told me he thought I'd had my AN for at least 13 years at the time of my diagnosis (1.3cm based on it's size ) and my daughters were 13 and 11 at the time.  I had them rather later than most women (41 and 43) do and had already begun perimenopause.  I actually began having symptoms later than my mom and my older sister but have often wondered if my pregnancies started things up.  Hmmm.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »
any1 got any ideas about taking HRT? do you think it would cause a AN grow?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:13 pm »
I was on HRT prior to my AN diagnosis.  I started it @ age 32 (when unbelievably I went into early menopause) and I wasn't diagnosed with my AN until I was 45 1/2.

Did the HRT have anything to do with my AN?  Hard to say; don't think I'll ever know.

Prior to the HRT I had many years (8 to be exact) of injectible fertility drugs in high doses in an effort to get pregnant.  Did they have anything to do with my AN?  Once again, hard to tell; don't think I'll ever know that either.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways