Author Topic: A question for women only.  (Read 10631 times)

moe

Re: A question for women only.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 12:02:04 am »
Still have clock work cycles, 3.5 years after surgery. I'm 48.5y/o.
Had the AN in there forever. So who knows????
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54:51 am »
I know its a hard question jan, i dont think i want too take the risk of taking it,any ideas to alternative supplements for menopause?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:26:02 am »
anne -

I'm not sure what they have in Scotland, but here in the states there are a number of herbal-type or "natural" products you can buy over the counter.  I recall one of them is called Estroven or something like that.

I don't know how well these products work, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try some of them.  If you find one doesn't work, then try another.

You might also want to ask the pharmacist @ your local drugstore, or your doc, for recommendations on these types of products.  Perhaps they will know of some that work well.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ginger21

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:20:33 am »
my cycle was all over the place for years in my twenties and early thirties. most of the time I would have it for two weeks and then two weeks off and then another two weeks on. this went on for years. as I look back during this time was when my hearing was going. I gave birth to my second daughter when I was 33 and then got an IUD. Now I do not have a cycle just some spotting here and there. I was dianosed at 37. and am now W &W.
W & W as of 01/27/2010 keeping my fingers crossed for the next 6 months
4mm AN-right side
www.facebook.com/gingerleigh72

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »
I was only 3 months post-partum and breastfeeding when I had my AN surgery in Nov 08.  I didn't start menstruating again until my daughter was 14 months old (normal for me, as I was still bfing), but I have been regular since.  28-30 days apart, haven't noticed a change in the flow patterns either from how it was before.  My initial symptoms showed up when I was pregnant the first time, got a lot worse right after I had the baby and then stabilized until I was pregnant with the 2nd.  And then got bad enough right after she was born that I finally went to the dr.  So I totally believe there is some sort of hormone involvement, although it may not be the ones they are looking at.

Vonda

kford

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »
Sorry I can't help with that. I went into menapause just before diagnosis at 50.
Gamma knife procedure 1/25/08 for a 3cm AN. Left facial weakness after contacting Ramsey/Hunt Syndrome. (They say) No hearing in left ear.

amymeri

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 07:21:14 am »
The hormone connection is interesting.  There have been many studies connecting meningiomas with hormones but so far not ANs.  Yet my surgeon also estimated my tumor at 10-14 years old and said the reason I had no real symptoms with it was because it grew so slowly.

My kids' ages at my diagnosis?  10 and 14.  So did the tumor start during my pregnancies??

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Wwoodian

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 01:35:53 am »
Wow!  That's interesting.  I'm 47, and started going through perimenopause about 5 years ago.  I have two sisters close in age, and neither one of them experienced that.  My periods were so heavy and horrible that my Doctor recommended a hysterectomy--lots of fibroid tumors too.  I have been so happy with that outcome--I take bio-identical hormones which are great.  Now I'm wondering if all of it is related? 
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 04:49:28 am »
hi what is bio-identical hormones , is it a injection or tablet?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

suboo73

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:04 am »
Hi Anne,

I am not sure about the form of the hormones, but here is a brief description by the Mayo Clinic:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bioidentical-hormones/AN01133

Some of my friends swear by using the bio-identical hormones; however, since they say since are 'custom made' it can take awhile to get the formula correct.
Others say they tried these alternative hormones and no luck.

I am still not convinced i want to take any hormones thru this 'change of life.'
However, i recently had my vitamin D level tested and the level is very low, which can cause fatigue, etc.
Well - little did i know that vitamin D is really a hormone!  So do i take the supplement or not that was prescribed by my doctor?
In my opinion, it's a battle all the way!

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

amymeri

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:15 am »
Vitamin D deficiency is very common and my levels were also very low.  Interestingly, when I started Vit. D and B12 to correct deficiencies, my perimenopause symptoms got much better.  Fewer night sweats, sleeping better, less fatigue, better mood, and periods regulated.

Hmmmmmm
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Wwoodian

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 09:29:42 am »
I was just diagnosed yesterday with a tumor on my pituitary gland.  I'm of the belief that this tumor caused my "hormone event" about 5 years ago, which corresponds with the size of my AN tumor.  If AN's are hormone related it makes sense to me that the pituitary tumor would have been the catalyst.  Anybody else with pituitary tumors? 
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 07:59:16 am »
I was 49 when I had AN surgery and I had already gone into menopause. I believe I was 45 when I went, which was early than my mother. Maybe it had something to do with the AN. Could not be the AN surgery since it was after menopause had started.
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear