Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420607 times)

Lizard

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #465 on: August 06, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
Since February 1 I've exercised 186 out oF 188 days.  My exercise options have been running, walking at least 3 miles at a brisk pace, bicycling, or yoga.  Running in this heat and humidity has been a challenge.  I've even managed to lose 10 pounds so far.  Only another 15 to go.  Everyone else here helps keep me motivated.  Also, being in an exercise challenge with friends onlne helps.

Jean

Yes quite impressive and you motivate me as well...keep up the good work!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lori67

« Reply #466 on: August 07, 2010, 06:35:36 am »
Jean, you slacker!  What happened to those other 2 days?   :D

Just kidding - that is a record to be proud of.  Mine is the opposite of yours - I think I've worked out 2 of the last 188 days..... :-[

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #467 on: August 07, 2010, 07:33:15 am »
I'm with Lori...

I did visit the new facilities I COULD be using when we get our new house!  Does that count?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2010, 07:03:31 am »
been just walking ... gonna start up walking in gym in the morning once the new wears off the new school year ...

I thought my pants spontaneously expanded but when I weighed in on the Wii after about a 3 week period of ignoring it and I learned that I have lost 13 pounds ...I think it is from the heat ...even walking in dawns early light is uncomfortable lately ... today is the coolest it has been in a long time ...was only 75 when I got up ... couple of days ago it was 85 at 6:00 ... we are getting a little relief from the heat wave
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2010, 08:53:38 am »
Jeanlea, you are AMAZING!!!

Well I'd like to lie and say I'm as dedicated as Jeanlea, but I don't like to be dishonest.

Had some days of too much food in Seattle - my employer provides us with breakfast and lunch, and then they pay for dinner.  I did a lot of walking around the city in my "off hours" but never even took my workout clothes out of the dresser drawer in my hotel room.  Although I took them out of my suitcase and placed them into the drawer, I don't think that counts  ;)

Arrived home last night about 9 pm and am working on getting back to my normal routine.  The time change is throwing me off and I slept a little too late this morning.  But after work today I hope to get back to my fitness center and back to exercising - if nothing else, at least my workout clothes are clean so that's one less excuse to keep me at home ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2010, 10:09:35 am »
OMGoodness!  I have been in the 7th Level of HELL for the last week. I was a counselor at Camp Bandina (near San Antonio) where it was 100+ every day. I think that my almost year of not much exercise was remedied in one week!  I canoed, tried archery (didn't work out so well with all my issues & balance - HUGE bruise on my forearm), & walking 1/2 mile each way twice/day down to the river - UP on way back!  Everything was SO spread out - I walked so much!  Oh also I carried an 11 year old girl on my back two times!  At least I am getting back n shape!  I think I sweated off a few pounds but ate so much I didn't lose as much as you might think!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2010, 11:59:48 am »
Kaybo,
I have learned from experience that camp food is kid food...all carbs!  You surely must have sweated off whatever you might have gained.  I get all sweaty just from watering my plants and grass every day in this heat. Can't wait for October!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »
Hate to laugh, Kaybo.

But I love your description of the "7th level of hell".

Hope things improve soon  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2010, 06:20:49 pm »
I have to admit that I borrowed from another guy working camp - he was teaching "Nature" & was out in the barren fields for archery. It was BAD!  Of course, we had to walk out there!  We had a LOT trouble with wasps - was that a plague in the Bible?

Here's another funny:
One night one of my campers said, "some people say that Catholics came before humans...". I think she was going for the chicken & the egg analogy...I laughed so hard!

K ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #474 on: August 16, 2010, 10:16:00 am »
Gotta giggle at camp description too ...been there done that at resident camp where nothing is close to anything else and you walk and walk and walk ...I guess Day Camp was the 4th Level of Hell .. not quite as bad as regular camp ... I lost some weight at Day Camp .. always do ...then I gain it back when I come home and sit for a week recovering

I can't get into the swing of things and get my walking routine  back on track ... been achy all over from just doing what I have to do outside and been trying to hide from the heat wave we are in the middle of ... lupus sun reaction makes my joints ache and I get a rash that is not like any normal rash ... just hard lumpy bumpies that you can't see but if you run your hand across my arm you feel the lumps just under skin ...and it itches like all get out ...

we had a downpour yesterday without lightening ... I walked the perimeter of the hay field three times and got soaking wet .... don't know the distance around the edge of the field , but hay field is almost square and is 22 acres ... it rained a little over 3 inches and felt so good and cool ... it was 100 before rain started and 93 when it finished ... sun came out and fells like temp went up to 107 

I had to come in when Bo yelled at me when I passed by the house that the across the road neighbor had called him to tell him that I seemed to be walking in circles and seemed a bit confused ;D ... kinda nice to have neighbors that watch out for me but kinda irritating too ... but I was getting tired and wobblier so I guess it was time to come in anyway

I was having a good time ... it was cool , had my walking stick as I was wobbly and on uneven ground at times , and I was talking to myself (  :o ) without the constant background noise of my girls , plus  19 month old grandbaby and 30 year old son who were watching movies all day and telling me what they were out of ... chips , cookies , drinks , popcorn etc ... I swear at times I can't hear myself think and it was nice to be alone with my thoughts ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #475 on: August 19, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »
That's one of the best things about walking/running (besides the obvious exercise), isn't it?  That time alone to think, pray, ponder, listen to audiobooks, whatever.  It is great ME time!
Priscilla

and I listen to the audiobooks when I 'm sweeping, mopping. doing laundry, too.  great way to take the drudge out of housework :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:08:39 pm by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Soundy

« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:24 am »
when my ex and I owned a tree surgery business I would wear a set of ear protector headphones that looked like big bug eyes on side of my head (mainly because I drew big eyes on them  :D ) and had a Walkman cassette player headset under them ...usually playing the soundtrack to  Foot Loose ...what can I say , it is a good work track ... I could work all day running chainsaws , the stump grinder or brush chipper and be alone in a crowd of people ... I talked to myself and solved problems in my head ... everyone thought it was dangerous and that I should be solely into the work I was doing , but in 15 years of doing this kind of work I never cut myself with a chain saw or ran self through the grinder .... 2 chain saw cuts for the ex and him with no music or voices in his head ...

my brain seems to be wired to work with distraction ...I can watch TV and read a book at same time and follow both ... I do better with sound around me ...always have ... now it seems doubly important .... the rain walk the other day was nice ... both as a break from the heat wave we have been having and the alone factor ..

Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2010, 11:44:29 am »
Back to the gym (finally!) for 45 minutes on the treadmill plus 30 minute weight workout, both upper and lower.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lizard

« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »
Back to the gym (finally!) for 45 minutes on the treadmill plus 30 minute weight workout, both upper and lower.

Sara

Sara,
I'm so happy for you, i know how important exercise is to me so I can imagine you are feeling the same way.  Enjoy those workouts!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #479 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »
I finally got there myself yesterday.  Been slacking off since my NJ vacation and my business trip to Seattle.

Kids started school (high school - YIKES!!!  :o ) yesterday and I have a nice little window between when I have to pick my daughter up from school and my son up from football practice.  Thought I'd start to take advantage of that  ;D

Actually ran a full mile for the first time since I started running again.  Up until yesterday, I was still walking a few laps and running a few laps.

Jan