Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420413 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #390 on: May 18, 2010, 06:09:36 am »
the first day she had them she said her butt muscles hurt ... I am guessing from them working differently ... gonna run her by therapist and show her difference ... even when the booted her with those big ugly black therapeutic cast looking things she would tip toe ... with these she tried at first but she has to bend her knees and would all but fall over ... now she just walks ... her problems just show to the world in her tippy toe walk and her crooked arms , but yesterday I had several teachers ooooh and ahhhh over her new gait ... since kindergarten they have worried over her breaking something ... even if not for us wonky heads , the shoes are good for at least one person , and I suspect may others

that said ... I got up at 5:20  and walked down the road to our other property and back ... only about a mile so 2 mile round trip ... took about 35 minutes because I watched some herons wading  in the beavers swampy pond and dropped pebbles off the bridge over creek and watched ripples ... I am easily distracted ... was really timing myself to see if I would get back before Bo had to leave for work... I did ... I guess this is going to be my new routine when I lose access to the gym as of June 1 ... only thing is it is always foggy around here due to creek and I need a flashing tail light so cars coming up behind me can see me ...and also hearing or rather not hearing can be scary ... I didn't hear the man down the road til he passed me in his electric hybrid that just kinda whirs ... scared the bejesus out of me ...  and the fog had me come home with hair and clothes damp and clammy feeling
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #391 on: May 19, 2010, 05:48:14 am »
walk in again today ... this is working good ... only 48 out so face and hands got cold ... kinda nice walking around when the world is pretty much asleep and birds are still snoozing .... then by time I get back to house they are a noisy crew ...moer peeps and chirps than I can identify ... and saw some kinda little bird that had body shape and size of an Indigo Bunting but was scarlet red like a cardinal ... no idea what it was ... herons weren't out padding around looking form minnows and tadpoles ... alot of people don't like them and shoot them cause they eat small fish therefore the fish don't grow up to be big fish ... but they were here before us and I figure they are taking what is theirs since we humans can go to the store and pick up dinner and they can't ... I like watching them which is hard sometimes cause they tend to be shy ... there is a family of Canadian geese at the marsh ... a set of parents and I counted 5 babies that are 3-4 weeks old ... they walked over from a pond where I saw them last week ...I really need my camera fixed  >:(
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #392 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:06 am »
Soundy -

thanks for the info on the Dankins Nows.  Wonder if they make them for men.

One of my nephews has the same thing going on as your daughter.  My brother has spent lots of time and money having him "treated" at Shriner's Hospital among other places.  He's had the therapeutic casts also, but nothing has really helped.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #393 on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:38 am »
didn't walk this morning ... didn't get up until 6 and have to leave house at 7 ... walkjng and having 30 minutes to get everyone ready and out the door wouldn't work...lets go out the door
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2010, 05:50:04 am »
Soundy -

thanks for the info on the Dankins Nows.  Wonder if they make them for men.

One of my nephews has the same thing going on as your daughter.  My brother has spent lots of time and money having him "treated" at Shriner's Hospital among other places.  He's had the therapeutic casts also, but nothing has really helped.

Jan

didn't mean to ignore this ... Danskins didn't have mens ... but Pay Less had a knock off version a few weeks ago that had mens and womens styles ... and if I had known it would have helped Hannah as much as it has I would have sprung for the $100 Shape Ups and they do have mens and womens ... it might be worth going to store that has them and letting him walk around in them and see how it goes ...

the last set of braces Hannah had cost us over $300 and didn't help and a pair of $25 has done so much ... fill bad at not getting the shoes when they first came out and she wanted them ... a bunch of the click groups at school have them and she wanted them too... she paid for them due to family rule that says we will pay for things you need and a few you don't and the kids pay for thing that don't qualify as "needs" and are seen as "wants " when and I think I am going to pay her back ... this "want" has turned out to be a "need"

didn't walk this morning due to having a cranky 16 month old .... son and DIL went to lawyers yesterday to file for divorce ... I have seen it coming for last few months ... baby knows something is up and ended up crying herself to sleep last night alternating calling mom or dad ...I am going to science museum with first grade and she is going with me ...it is hands on and they have a toddler section... we are gonna have fun while her little world crumbles ...  :(
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #395 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:38 am »
Don't feel badly about the shoes, Soundy. You had no way of knowing, and it is a fair and loving gesture on your part to repay Hannah for the shoes since they help so much. I am more than interested in hearing what her therapists have to say about it. Elbee still has slight supination following last summer's foot surgeries, fortunately not enough to affect her basketball play or keep her from going a mile a minute. I wonder if the shoes would help her, but they have not caught on here among the kids so I don't know if she would wear them.

I hope you have a good time on the field trip with your granddaughter. I'm sorry about your son and his wife, but that sweet little girl is sure fortunate to have you as a stable influence in her life. Give her lots of hugs from her forum uncles and aunties.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #396 on: May 21, 2010, 07:57:56 am »
thanks, everyone for keeping this going. i've been MIA also. i have been running though. need to get out this morning.... i keep putting that off.
patrick - thanks for updating.
capn deb - i really hope things work out and you can get back into exercise and feeling better and all that.
i'll check back in later -
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57:14 pm »
had a good trip to science museum ... and got alot of exercise running after baby

Hannah played basket ball with not problem ... she kept up with the rest ...she has always walked and run tippy toe and it doesn't bother her ...bothers others ... and she can walk all over the place in high heels ... no wobble ...she  even developed her on odd hook shot that she can shoot from outside key hit the basket ...kinda hard to explain under hand from kinda behind and to her side shooting ...

been crawling under house trying to figure out why the phone in bedroom doesn't work ... replaced wire and it is run in with the same wire that is feeding the computer... can dial up and get online but the darn phone don't work back there ...even bought new phone and that didn't work ... gonna put on clean clothes and take my walk that I missed this morning ... sun has dropped low enough that it isn't a problem ... I was up at 2:30 ... should have walked then ... I am giving up for now on fixing phone ... it will go better when Bo isn't helping me ... I ran the original line to start with and ran all the satellite lines in the house and they all work ... something is just not clicking ...lets go walk and then feed family ... grilling burgers ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #398 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:41 am »
soundy, i'm sorry too about your son and DIL and the baby. life sounds busy and crazy. i admire your efforts to get up at the crack of dawn and walk. plus, when you don't for a while, you still return to it instead of giving up. that's a great way to be. please be careful when you walk in the fog / dark, etc. there's a lof of reflecting things you can buy to wear to cars see you.

jan - you've really inspired us all with your workouts. i know it gets tough sometimes when there's so much work to do, and having kids, etc... but when you do come home tired, sometimes that is the best time to work out. just getting started makes you have a bit more energy once you get warmed up. then you feel so much better once your done. of course, this is obvious advice that i need to preach to myself over and over!

patrick - how goes the long runs and the bike rides? i really want to bike more, but my husband keeps putting my bike back in the shed. then i don't bother.

i am still running consistantly, more of less. i signed up for two fall marathons, so i need to join my summer marathon training group. honestly, this is the only thing that makes me be disciplined to run.

well, like cindy says ' get moving!!' i need to make sure i run today. i didn't yesterday. if you're working out and it's hot, stay hydrated.  there's my advice for the day!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:58 am »
off to Houston to do frantic house hunting this week - wonder if that counts for exercise??  Probably cancel it out in all the great food I eat!   ::)

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32:26 am »
Hey, Keri!  Good to see you back over here!  Glad to know you're still out running...I'm still doing the jog/walk thing, though we've cut back to 3 miles three times p/week. 

I plan to do two more 1/2 marathons (October and the Feb Breast Cancer one again) and then, I think I need to switch to some other challenge  ???  Still want to learn to ride a horse and an ice skating rink opened up near me recently...would love to do that for exercise - my husband, however, indicated he thought that was a rather foolish idea (his words were a bit stronger  ;) ), but I think I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Have a great week, everyone!  Try to get a workout buddy - as I think I've mentioned before, I would NOT be doing nearly as much as I do if it weren't that I know my friend(s) is out there on the trail waiting for me.  I never really want to go, but I NEVER regret going out - I always feel very good about it.  On my wonky days when I think I might rather just sit, I go anyway and always feel better for it.  Know it's hard to schedule with people, if not impossible for some, but if you can, it sure does help :)

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:25 am »
Lazy Lori checking in... :-[

Haven't done much other than the usual chasing kids around lately.  Had to take some time off for what the doctor thought was a blood clot in my leg.  Turns out it wasn't (phew.) but he wanted me to rest it.  Yeah, ok - try resting with 2 little kids at home and a husband out sailing the 7 seas.

Now I have bronchitis, so walking up the stairs leaves me pretty much out of breath.  The antibiotics are starting to kick in, so hopefully in a few days I'll be able to do something!

In the meantime, I'll just crack the whip to keep you guys moving!  MOVE IT - MOVE IT - MOVE IT!!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »

Keri ... I am up at crack of dawn every day  and often before it cracks and might as well do something ... it tends to be watching movies that leads to snacks ...so walking is better ... it is fairly light out when I am out ...just foggy ...I am walking facing traffic like I should have been doing all along

didn't walk this morning but went down to creek this afternoon and kids (my 2 girls plus three belonging to a friend ) were wading then swimming/splashing  ... for some reason me and my friend thought taking cell phones and important stuff out of our pockets and wading was a good idea ... felt good as it was 95 here today ...we decided to follow the kids down the creek because they were getting out of sight ...but walking on gravel and slippery rocks about 1500 feet down stream from the bridge , with a couple trips up side of bank to peak at beaver dam from various angles wore me out ...large areas of creek bed are solid limestone that pretty much looks like concrete and has moss and algae on it making it slippery ... About half way through it seem less like a good idea

I stayed to side walking in gravel when ever I could and avoided the slabs when I could ... did alot of wobbling and wind milling of arms to  stay upright , but I am proud to say I didn't fall ... biggest challenge was the ripples on the surface of the water making me dizzy by giving me the feeling I was moving in different directions than I actually was ... I would head towards something and come out 5 feet off target ...was kind of funny even if it made me queasy ... the windmill impersonation with my arms ,  I consider upper body workout  ;D ... found a point we could climb out and come out on the road then walked back to van ... My gluteus maximus and up the sides my back are aching from new use trying to stay upright …staying balanced new ways always finds new places for aches

My workouts are nothing in the norm … just whatever I happen to do …things like today was spur of the moment …

Kay …house hunting in a week is exercise and a job ... when the Army moved us we (mom dad and 5 kids ) would pop in to whatever new place and in a week find something ... looked at as many as 5 houses in a day ... us kids thought it was fun ... I remember mom looking like she had run a marathon

Lori … sorry you have been out of commission and hope you get back up and going soon … chasing kids has been established as exercise

As for advise of the day from me …. Don’t follow kids down creeks unless you have a canoe
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #403 on: May 25, 2010, 06:43:01 am »
Working WAY too much  :(

Need to get my butt back to exercising.  Today is the day!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #404 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:14 pm »
Working WAY too much  :(

Need to get my butt back to exercising.  Today is the day!

Jan

Yes, do it today!  You have been doing so well...don't think about the days you've missed, just start back today!

Lori, Soundy, Kaybo and all of you with young ones, do have an extra challenge to find time to exercise...I remember when mine were younger, I could barely do what was required, much less do anything "extra" for me.  But, I sure wish I had made the time, somehow.  It would have been such a great stress reliever as well as made me feel physically better...ah, that hindsight 20/20 view...

American Idol finals, Biggest Loser finals and Dancing w/ Stars finale tonight - do some jumping jacks while watching ;D

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings