Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418865 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2010, 07:51:00 pm »
Working out pretty regularly, 6 - 7 days a week.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #361 on: May 04, 2010, 01:34:36 pm »
It's May 4 and I haven't been on here in a few weeks (not just this thread.. the whole AN forum). I need to seriously read and catch up on what's going on!
Then I'll report back in a little while.
BTW, I'm sitting at Chicago O'hare (HI JAN!!) - layover 3 hours. Just saw my son at his AF base in Nebraska - there for a few days; on my way back home.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #362 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:07 pm »
with crazy weather and flooding I have been lazy since last week ... or smart ...

I stayed in avoiding rain , 20 MPH winds , flooded roads and tracks to walk on ...

Drying Out In Tennessee
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #363 on: May 04, 2010, 09:02:09 pm »
BTW, I'm sitting at Chicago O'hare (HI JAN!!) - layover 3 hours.

Hi, Keri.  Sorry I missed you!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #364 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »
Hope everyones been moving ...

Tomorrow is our school Relay for life walk in the school gym  :o ... I have been preoccupied and super busy and lost track of time ... I had it in my mind as next week ...even with post it note on my computer screen telling me every time I turn it on that it was happening the 11th ...

I want to make at least 3 miles worth of circles ... we'll see ... if the tight kids in there messing with me the right way I will walk more ...I can't leave a challenge alone so can't let them beat me ...and since each class only has a set amount of time to walk and I have all day between helping out , I figure I will meet my goal plus some ...I have a few achy joints and a lumpy sun reaction patch on one arm from too much sun one day last week , but if nothing else , I am stubborn ... not walking won't make aches go away ...

going to be a sad event ... it is too soon after Mr Townsend (aka Mr. T) , a much loved teacher lost his battle with cancer ... it has only been 7 weeks ... but he and others fighting cancer or having lost the battle are why we walk ... it may hold closure for some , but we are gearing up for tears and some disorder ... our older students who had him are still having a rough time ... the 8th graders that are going on to high school have asked that his name plate not be removed until they are gone ... his room has remained mostly unchanged because they asked for it to be left til they leave ...all his civil war artifacts and books and even personal pictures are still on the shelves ...eerily , it looks like he could walk in at any moment , bow his head and raise his right hand in the air and without a word quiet the class down and get to the business of the day ... the principal and his wife have agreed to let the things stay as is and the plan is to remove them during the summer ... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a few things walked off

wish me luck on my rounds ... and pray for our students and that this does add closure to something that they have had to deal with for 3 years or so and most thought  Mr T would beat ...

and if you have been slacking , get up and move it !!!
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:18 am »
Good walking shoes on ...check
Water bottle .... check
Tylenol in case ....check
Pedometer ... check

plan on a good day and it will happen ... wish me luck

speaking of waking shoes .... has anyone got those shape up shoes ??? I tried them on and walked around store... a friend thought they would be a good therapeutic tool ...felt great on feet but you talk about a one legged pirate walking the decks of a ship with 40 foot waves tossing them about ... I could barely stand upright and only walked holding display shelf ...felt like I was being pushed forward ...I guess with practice walking would come , but they were almost scary ... but they sure did feel good on my feet
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2010, 05:50:13 am »
Good luck, Soundy.

I have a pair of Shape Up Shoes and in my opinion, the jury is still out.

They are very strange to walk in (I think a lot of that has to do with the balance issues I still have on occasion) and honestly I haven't seen a different in my "shape" since I purchased them at least 6 weeks ago.  I've seen more results from my regular workout and the running I've been doing in my normal running shoes.  I wouldn't even attempt to run in the Shape Ups - I think I'd kill myself  :D

I purchased the actual Shape Ups - which retail for $100, although I got them on sale for $75.  There are various knock-offs on the market now which cost less, but honestly I'd keep my money.

Jan

Soundy

« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2010, 04:37:50 pm »
 pedometer has me logging 4.8 miles today  … that is wandering the school and a trip to town …happy with that  ... feet are achy , legs are fine , head is full feeling (maybe grew some brain cells ) ...so physically about same old same old

At 1:45 we had the whole school in for Relay Rally and   survivor walk ... and dedication of our efforts to Mr. Townsend ... his wife was there and through the whole program sat staring straight ahead ... I don't know if I could have been there ... One it was over she was better …

once the program was over and his songs started playing the younger kids were taken back to class to pack up for buses.... 4th through 8th were kept in gym since they brought their bags with them … people from community were there milling around talking and reading our Memory Wall and Honor  Wall of those still battling cancer …kinda teary and solemn

And then came Big Will …

Our own personal  8th grade clown …he started doing air guitar renditions of the songs like Mr. T did  ... this boy is a great kid , about 250lbs and not much taller than my 5’4”  ... we can always count on him to lift spirits ... he danced and clowned as the kids in gym clapped and stomped out the rhythm …he had them smiling and clapping and chased the tears away until time to load the buses …at one time he was laying on floor spinning in Will‘s version of break dancing ... makes us sound like a bunch of odd balls down here ... we really aren't ... going to miss Will  when he goes off to high school next year ... Mr. T's wife stopped him and gave him a big hug as he ran around the perimeter of gym getting kids cheering as he finished his final number ... His brother who is graduating this year used to always dress up as The Cat in The Hat during the week of Dr Seuss’s birthday …good kids

Day was emotional but good …
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2010, 04:41:55 pm »
Lost mind for a few seconds ...

Shape up shoes is what I neglected ...

when I tried them on my balance went near to nil ... have you ever tried to walk in one of those blow up bounce house for kids ... that is how I felt ... I guess if I did master them my balance problems would be cured ... so with my few minutes and what you have said Jan , I think I will find something better to do with any money I would have spent on them ...

I am not sure I could have ran in a pair if they had had them out pre-surgery and balance issues
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #369 on: May 11, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »
Are the Shape Up shoes even meant for running? I thought they were designed to burn more calories during walking and other usual daily activities.

I do have a nurse friend who loves hers, but then she has no balance deficiencies to deal with.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #370 on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:34 pm »
I don't think they are meant to be worn to run...

Our school nurse loves hers ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #371 on: May 12, 2010, 05:34:33 am »
I did a bit of research on Shape-Ups last night. The Skechers website was not helpful but I found some other reviews. Here are a couple of excerpts from http://hubpages.com/hub/Shape-Up-with-Shape-Ups-Shoes-How-They-Work-and-Do-They-Work

Basically the shoes put you slightly off balance and your muscles are constantly working to keep you balanced and centered. Staying balanced while wearing the shoes requires the use of muscles in the legs, abs and buttocks not used with standard walking shoes. It took me a couple of days to get used to it. My first day frustration turned into wonder when after twenty minutes of a moderate walk my muscles felt like after an hour of vigorous gym work out.

and

Running in Shape Ups is not recommended. Also, concentrate while going downhill or up stairs. These shoes are definitely made for walking.

It's no wonder that people with balance problems can't wear them.

User reviews are mixed. It seems like people either love them or hate them. I read some glowing reviews from folks with knee and hip problems.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #372 on: May 12, 2010, 06:02:21 am »
Are the Shape Up shoes even meant for running?

No they are not.

Jan

Soundy

« Reply #373 on: May 12, 2010, 03:15:20 pm »

Basically the shoes put you slightly off balance and your muscles are constantly working to keep you balanced and centered. Staying balanced while wearing the shoes requires the use of muscles in the legs, abs and buttocks not used with standard walking shoes. It took me a couple of days to get used to it. My first day frustration turned into wonder when after twenty minutes of a moderate walk my muscles felt like after an hour of vigorous gym work out.

this reminds me of what I was told just after surgery when my leg muscles ached and burned even after just a little walking  ... they vestibular guy I snuck in to see said your legs get sore post op because you are off balanced and signals were constantly being fired to the muscles to get them to contract and relax to hold your balance ...something that is ordinarily  an unconscious task ... myself and my PCP thought I was imagining the soreness having to do with surgery until vestibular re-trainer told me it was directly related ... he  said we have to learn how hard to contract a muscle  where as the brain after learning as a baby to walk just knows ...therefore the soreness

I guess I'll pass on shape ups
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2010, 11:25:08 am »
Been just watching all the Shape Ups talk...they don't appeal to me at all.  My mother n law has been living in a pair of them for about 4 months.  We keep trying to get her out of them as she has fallen twice while wearing them  :-\ 

Hope everyone's still getting some exercise in, whether wearing Shape Ups or not :D  Very hot and muggy down here today, but my friends and I are doing our 3 miles this afternoon...

Have a great weekend, all!  Remember to use your sunscreen if you're outside  8)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings