Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420999 times)

lori67

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2010, 12:05:57 pm »
Patrick

Aim your bike west and pedal as fast as you can!  You might make it to Hawaii before your 50th!  Can you swim?  I hope so.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »
I too think that Patrick could probably pedal - and swim - to Hawaii  ;D

Wish I could afford to go to Hawaii for my 50th, but unless I win the lottery (that I currently don't play) or find a rich boyfriend (I'm not even looking for a poor one at this point) that just ain't going to happen.

I'm actually not that far away from being 50.  September 2011 will be here before we know it  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:04 pm »
I can't get my husband to go down to Gulf Shores  , 6 hours away ...mush less Hawaii ...would have to find someone else to go with ... and only have til November 2011 to manage to loose pounds , firm up , save money and find traveling companion

have walked for past two days back and forth length of school with pre K kids taking them to and from testing ... feels like a million miles ... walking without something to look at wears me out ... I can walk further with less fatigue if I am outside walking down our road than if I am walking in the school gym or up and down halls at school ... and the school walking surfaces are much better than our chipped road (not really paved but not gravel ) ...

and I am irritated  ... I gained 4 pounds from yesterday morning til this morning weighing at the nurses station  :o... I look at my hands and swollen feet and know it is fluid but still irritated at it ... I took a fluid pill when I came in ... I am not sure if I have taken it all week and suppose to take it daily to improve kidney function since my kidney is lazy ... I will weigh in when I get to school in the morning and see where I stand ... feel like I have flushed a gallon which would translate to about 8 pounds but as long as it is at least the 4 pounds , I will be happy ... or at least less irritated
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:25 pm »
yay ... shed the water gain and a pound extra ...

I hiked with my Girl Scout Troop down a steep hill to a water fall behind the school today ... had  a couple of my bigger girls in front of me so I could keep a hand on a shoulder to keep me from toppling ... down hill is still a challenge for me ... it is about 2 miles back to it but felt longer to me ... coming up hill back to school grounds , I had to stop and breathe a couple times and ended up with a headache out of the deal ... but just a Tylenol headaches ...I was actually leaning forward in some places and putting a hand on ground coming up out of hollow and I wasn't crawling ...the hill is just that steep  :o ... didn't have a camera with me and the kids say we need to go back since we didn't get pictures ...I think I am gonna lose my camera until it is to grown up and snake infested to go  ;D... maybe by fall I will have recovered enough to go again ... there isn't a trail anymore but you can find some of the old trail ...

a teacher used to keep a trail up with ropes with knots tied to trees in the steepest spots to serve as a hand hold to help people get up and down easier ... but he moved on and no one else was interested in doing it ... it has been suggested as a Scout project but I am not too sure ...would be neat but unless I get alot of help that has bigger muscles than me and my girls it would be hard to clear it , lay mulch or gravel and just keep it up after establishing it ...someone told me there is a grant for trails and their upkeep on a local level ... people used to get water from the spring that feeds the fall back in late 1800's to early 1900's ...it was a major source of drinking water for the area ... but they were smart and came in from lower side of hill instead of the scenic route we took ... may check in to it and see what it covers and see if I can put a group of concerned citizens together to re-establish the trail ... and we could add some walking trails on top of the hill adjoining the playground so people could walk in the woods but not necessarily go off the hill to the fall ...trail sites are based on interest of people in area and historical value ...

I am tired and legs sore and have a few mosquito bites ... but he challenge level of this hike , even though short makes me think that some something is returning to me and things are getting better ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2010, 06:40:52 am »
Soundy, first of all four pounds in one day has to be water unless you consumed 14,000 calories (or ten times a normal diet).

The hike sounds very challenging. Renovating the trail does sound like a good scout project . . . as in an Eagle Scout project for a Boy Scout. Do you know a Scoutmaster you could suggest that to? It's sometimes difficult for Boy Scouts to come up with good service projects and that would be original.

For my part I actually made it to the gym four times this week. I am a little sore but not too bad. I had back spasms this week which is a sure sign that I am not going often enough.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:44 am »
I taught at a training yesterday and mentioned it to some Scoutmasters ... we have a shortage right now of boys nearing Eagle ... a bunch of Star Scouts and a few life ... have to see if something pans out ... my husband went to same school and says they used to hike down to the fall several times a year ...he hasn't been since 8th grade and said he remembered the in and out and didn't intend on seeing it again ...spoil sport ...

as for weight it is fluid ... from being bad and not taking fluid pill as I should ... but last week was an odd one and not in position to jump up and run to bathroom as needed when I take the diazide , so skipped it ... I am down 2 more pounds ... which means I lost about 2-3 lbs of weight if I say the 4 pound over night gain was fluid ....

yesterday I took one of the training wheels that my daughter had on her old bike when she first started trying to ride ... put it on her big bike ... we went down to creek to get gravel and there is a little used strip of road ... I got on bike leaning heavily on training wheel side ... when I got some speed up I tilted to get training wheel off ground and coasted catching my balance ... did good as long as I didn't peddle ... when I felt like I was tipping I just leaned enough to get trainer back on ground ...how many 48 year olds have training wheels ???  :o ... went up and down while husband loaded truck with gravel ...wasn't to bad ...wasn't the days I used to ride to town 12 miles away buy something and put in back pack and come back ...but  I was riding and didn't fall over ... I did give my mountain bike away which is a bummer ... the girls have old fashioned one speed bikes that would kill me on a hill ... the 18 speeds on my bike made things easy ...

next thing is hang gliding or sky diving  ;D ... have a place to do it tandem about an hour away at Eagleville , Tennessee ... definitely take a camera if I get the courage to tackle that one ...

here's to a good week of moving ...be it bike , skates , rock climbing , hiking , jumping (trampoline… Another unconquered since surgery item) , running , gym workouts etc ... lets Move it ! Move It!  Move It!!! ...gonna be my new theme song ... ;D
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:53 pm »
Soundy~
Make sure & check with your Dr. before you skydive...I had a translab and my Dr told me that the 2 things I could never do now are skydiving and scubadiving.  The intense change in pressure is too much for the "packed" eustation tube.  I always wanted to skydive...

Way to go with the bike...that gives me some ideas...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2010, 01:33:08 pm »
K...

I hadn't thought of air pressure but should have since going up Montasano Mountain in Huntsville gave me an ear ache that lasted several days and had my ears popping ... I have always wanted to fly ... but not in a plane ...as a bird ...hang gliding or sky diving would be as close as I could get  ...grrrrrrrrrr ... I hate asking permission from a doctor to do things but on this I guess I should ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2010, 08:18:22 am »
Actually got dressed in my workout clothes and WENT TO GYM...late, of course for the class - as I went up the stairs, my phone rang and it was the school, but there was no one there and no message left.  There were no places so I squeezed in at the very front (which I hate), started but then when we went to the floor, realized that I had forgotten my "band" - had to run across the room (in front of 75 YO instructor again).  I got back to my mat only to see that my phone was ringing again (silent) and it was the school number AGAIN - I answered it (will only answer in class if school) - no one there!  However, this time they did leave a message - it was Emee and she needed a snack for her cast party for her musical.  I sat there & debated and decided that it would be horrible for Emee if she didn't have a snack and she NEVER calls me - this is why I am not working, right?  I rolled my mat up, put on my shoes, and once again, walked in front of the instructor!!  ::)  It must not be predestined for me to work out EVER AGAIN!

Do I get points for at least making it to the gym??

K   :-[
PS - I did notice in the mirror (right in front of me) how HUGE I have let myself get - maybe that will be a motivator!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »
I saw myself in a full length mirror the other day and it scared me  :o

You do get points for effort

I walked 24 rounds at the school gym and ran through the stretches and warmups with te 2nd grade class that came in as I was leaving ... still not much and not enough but with my new found knoledge that I can ride a bike with adjustments , I may get more exercise in ... riding bike is not nearly as hard on my joints as walking
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »
I saw myself in a full length mirror the other day and it scared me  :o

Been there, done that LOL

I also saw some photos of myself a few months ago that freaked me out.  In my mind, I'm still 30 and a size 10.  In reality, I'm 48 1/2 and much larger  ::)

The good thing is though once you start exercising, it's easy to see changes in your body very fast.

I've been feeling muscles where I haven't felt them in years  :o  And I'm wearing things that have been in my drawers and closets for years also - they FINALLY fit!

Kaybo -

I think you get an A+ for effort today.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #356 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:19 pm »
Kaybo, sometimes things come up despite our best intentions. I think we all know it was a legitimate reason, not a lame excuse, and you'll be back at it tomorrow.

Jan, I'm so glad your efforts are paying off. Keep up the good work.

I spent 30 minutes on a recumbent bike followed by a lower body lifting workout this morning. Hope to make it four days this week too.

A third YMCA just opened here, on my side of town. During the school year it is easier to go to the one by the kids' school, but I need to get set up on the weight machines at the new facility for summer. It's by the mall so I could also go work out when the kids go to see a movie with their friends.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Soundy

« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »
Jan ... that's funny ... I think I am about 35 and size 10 that I wore when me and Bo got married and I am 48 1/2 and not a size 10 ... and it doesn't help that my 12 year old is an inch taller than me and only 10 pounds lighter than I was at 35 and looks so little when we stand side my side ... gonna put a block on her head so she will quit growing ...

she is our exercise freak ... and it worries me ... she gets up and runs through her PT routine of stretches and leg strengthening ... then sh gets on the WAVE board and works out , then she does alot of sit ups and runs in the after noon as if possessed ... she had a bit of a belly last year and doesn't want to be fat ...she has gained about 6 inches in height and gained about 15 pounds but actually looks smaller ...gained a waist and grew "girl chest"  (don't ask) ... she tries to skip meals for fear of getting fat ... it helped when her doctor (my doctor that keeps me sane ) told her her weight and height were in perfect proportion

I do stuff in front of her but try not to mention weight loss ... even when I lose a pound and want to yell WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO
Translab July 2 ,2007

cindyj

« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
Mid-week check...everyone getting their fun-filled workouts in?  Anyone trying those hand stands with feet on the wall while doing push-ups like on Biggest Loser last night :D  How about just some girlie push-ups - those work also.  So, drop and give me 5 of those!  Go ahead and add 15 crunches while you're on the floor...can I ask for some jumping jacks, too :-* 

Cindy - I'm pretty sure I'm still 35ish also!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
Four days last week and two so far this week. I just got a reminder call from my dentist for a cleaning tomorrow. I may just have to go stinky so I get four workouts this week also.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09