Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418814 times)

sgerrard

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #180 on: March 04, 2010, 11:31:20 pm »
And Steve has appeared.... OK Steve, how many miles for you tomorrow?

Do home repairs and yard work count?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2010, 06:19:24 am »

Steve

Absolutely!

My local YMCA belongs to the FitLinxx system, which awards points for number of pounds lifted and minutes of cardio (I am halfway through the gold level on my way to platinum). Besides the machines in the gym, there are all sorts of other activities to enter. Lawn mowing, snow shoveling, and gardening are all included.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2010, 08:18:07 am »
And Steve has appeared.... OK Steve, how many miles for you tomorrow?

Definitely.  And if you have some spare time, I would use both home repairs and yard work.  Stop by  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2010, 08:21:31 am »
Cindy,  I'm so sorry about your father in law.  I hope your family is doing okay.  And as for the dancing/laughing, I'm sure if you laugh hard enough, that's exercise in itself - so keep laughing!  I might come watch you guys so I can laugh, er - I mean exercise, too!   :D  You should try yoga.  I love it.  And I get quite a workout from it trying to remain upright.  Fortunately, I haven't wounded anyone yet.

Sara, we have that FitLinxx thing at our Y too.  I have to go talk to someone there to get going on that.

Kay, step away from the oreos.  And mail them to me.

Steve, it only counts as exercise if you do it at my house.  And I'd say beginning with my laundry would be a great workout for you.

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2010, 03:50:04 pm »
Cleared yesterday to resume activity at level I had been at ... but didn't today becasue I was too busy eating Oreos  :D ... well actually softened vanilla ice cream with crumbled Oreos mixed in ... someone bagged can goods on top of cookies  >:( ... it was either put the crumbs in the ice cream or feed them to the donkey and chickens ...

fluid gone from lungs and only minimal amount around heart ... tolilet paper consumption is up and I make sure where ever I am I know where the nearest restroom is ... betwen the increase in water I was told to do and the fluid pills I feel like Depends wouldn't be a bad idea ... steroids for 21 days and hope I don't have a reaccurance of fluid accumulation

while everyone is walking and moving , check out local Relay For Life Activities ... being nationwide and main events in different areas starting in May and running through the summer there is probably something near you ... get in some exercise and raise some dollars for a great cause ... I put my kids on my team roster ... they are cuter than me and people give them bigger donations and buy more luminairies from them ... have several projects going to raise moola ... our Relay all night walk isn't til June 26 and the girls and I have alerady reached and passed our goal ... adding them helped ...

Right now getting ready to go out door to take girls to basketball practice ... tomorrow is there last game on Saturday league ... I  am going to walk around the gym's perimeter while they practice  ...figure that will work off the Oreao/ice cream

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2010, 04:48:58 pm »
good idea, soundy!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
i'm putting this out there in case i don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning...
i have to do a long run tomorrow at crack of dawn AM. it's 6 weeks until marathon time and if i skip a long run now i might as well bag it.
it's time like this i ask... 'why  WHY am i doing this???' but come noon tomorrow, i'll be happy. or very tired. i guess both.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
Sara - Thanks for sending on the Dr advise on increasing the plate weights, will give it a try.  The last time I increased the weights I did to much and it almost sent me back to square one.

Cindy - Sorry to hear that your father-in-law passed away,  going through that is mentally, emotionally  & physically exhausting so trying to work out then can be  really hard to do.  I wish my husband liked to dance it is great fun & great exercise all at the same time.  As for the brownies, you deserved them for all you have gone through for the last month, if you want to kick the brownies up a notch mix german frosting in with the brownies before you bake them, they are wonderful.

Kaybo - Happy, Happy Belated Birthday, I hope that you didn't do the push ups I told you to do, I didn't realize at the time that it was your birthday eve, you get to eat anything you want on your birthday eve & of course on your birthday, hope it was a great one.  

Pat - I've never heard of Dubai, so when my son came home this evening I asked him where it was, he told me and of course I can't pronounce it let alone spell it.  He said that the soldiers some times go there for R&R but he didn't get to, said he wished he had, he likes checking out new places and that is one place he would like to see.  

Steve - I agree, home repairs & yard work count as a work out, sure beats riding a bike at the club just for the exercise.  This way you get a lot of things done while exercising.  We don't have any big trees now but I can remember when we did and raking was quite an exhausting work out, not to mention the hour it took to mow the lawn.  

Lori - I never realized that Yoga was also a workout, just thought it was relaxing.  

Soundy - Glad to hear you're feeling better, good call on bringing the kids on board for the Relay, you're right, we can't refuse kids when they are raising money for a good cause.

I'm beat so I'll watch a bit of tv and off to bed, great weather this weekend so a nice lloonngg walk is in store, Jill

I was just about to post when I read that Trainee Jacobs needed my help:

JACOB'S GET YOUR LAZY BODY OUT OF BED AND HIT THE ROAD, the crack of dawn is the best time to run because everyone else is in bed so you have the road to yourself.  YOU ARE DOING THIS FOR YOURSELF, YOUR FAMILY & YOUR AN FAMILY, and tomorrow afternoon you will be so happy, tired & relaxed that you won't care that your got up that early.  Good Luck! 
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

lori67

« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »
Hey Jill,  can you swing by here on school days around 6:30am to get my kids out of bed?  I think you might have more luck than I do!   :D

Patrick and Jill, there's a really nice mall and a water park in Dubai.  Never been there myself, but I always get lovely pictures of the "hard work" my husband does on deployments so I've seen plenty of photos.

Yoga is probably supposed to be relaxing, but trying to bend yourself into a pretzel and not knock everyone else over like a row of dominoes throws a whole new level of fun into it.  I do okay on all the poses except anything that requires standing on one foot.  Just can't do that.  But it really does seem to tone your muscles and makes you feel good afterwards.  Give it a try.

Keri, how did it go this morning?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »
i heard jill marie's VOICE YELL AT ME at 0600 and i got my lazy butt out of bed and did 17.

lori - isn't your race (shamrock ) in two weeks? the one your daughter will finish up? that sounds like so much fun; one of these days i'll get down there for the rock n roll half - isn't that around labor day? if it's hot, i'll be one of the slowest! (which is ok with me).

yoga sounds hard to me because i'm not limber. and i could see myself falling over!

thanks, jill marie, for all the specific encouragement to everyone.

i hope everyone has a nice weekend and gets their workout in. i know it's finally beautiful weather around here. and i'm DONE for the day. (but now i have to do all those housecleaning chores ... yuck).

My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
I got some unexpected exercise today in the form of SPRINTS!!   :o  I truly was running from the "Great Room" where we had our Brunch/Style Show to the Children's Area where the models were getting dressed.  I had to introduce the woman from Dillard's that I worked with on the SS and they weren't ready so I kept running back & forth...when I got up to speak, I could barely breathe!!

I was just thinking that I would go to YOGA on Monday but I have to take tests Monday & Tuesday to be hired for the 2010 Census...I have got to find a PAYING job!  Looks like if i am ever going to get to work-out again, I am going to have to get up & go at 5:00 again...not sure I can do that with all our late nights these days!  ???

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »
I am going to have to get up & go at 5:00 again.

Jill can help you with that. :)

I have weeded the front beds, trimmed back the hedge and side yard bushes, and fixed the toilet. Cookie time!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jill Marie

« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2010, 09:31:56 pm »
Lori - I would love to come over and get your kids up for you, I truly miss not having kids at home.  I know, I know, you will lend me yours for a bit.  My youngest has been home for almost a year now but will probably be leaving soon, he's in the Military.   Considering he is 6' 5" and a muscle man I never tell him when to get up or I will soon find myself hanging upside down.  Thanks to you, Pat & my son I have also exercised my mind by learning about Dubai.  I believe I read in a thread that your husband is in the Military but I forgot.  I hope he's home with you now.

Keri - WAY TO GO!  Glad you heard your wake up call!  

Steve - Wish I was out there weeding & trimming with you, will skip the toilet repair though.  My husband and son did some yard work today and when they came in for lunch my husband said it was a shame to come in to eat as it's to nice to be inside, I just scowled at him as I was doing the laundry and various other inside jobs.  I got my exercise going up and down the stairs to do the laundry.

Kaybo - Considering it's Saturday night I will take a break and not tell you what to do.  We all need a break now and then.  However, if I don't see some results soon I will be changing my tune.  Therefore you might want to reconsider your work out issues.  If you get hired to do the Census you won't need to work out as you will be doing quite a bit of walking I presume.

I received an email about walking, the following made me think of you:

Keri - I have to walk early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing..

Jan -  I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks.
 Haven't lost a pound.  Apparently you have to go there.
 I know your are going but it still made me think of you.

Kaybo - Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
  I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Hope you have a great Sunday! Jill

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:43:19 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2010, 11:49:43 am »
Jan -  I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks.
 Haven't lost a pound.  Apparently you have to go there.
 I know your are going but it still made me think of you.

Oh man, don't burst my bubble!  :(

In addition to the health club, I am doing Weight Watchers for good measure.

Yesterday I started running again.  My knees have been groaning a little, but they'll get over it  ;)

Hope to be in prime shape by the time the 2011 ANA Symposium rolls around, in case I decide to attend.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
Thanks for your words about my father n law, guys.  Seems sad to get back to normal, but know that's life...

Had a tennis match (singles) today - hope I burned enough calories to off set the cookies I just ate a minute ago???  The weather this weekend was much more to my liking!  Was so great to be out in it.  Supposed to do 3 miles tomorrow - my training buddies and I are just trying to keep up some mileage each week so we don't lose all we gained training for our 1/2.  Thinking of doing some 5 or 10k races, but not sure about that.  I like the nice snail pace we do for the 1/2...

Brad & I went to a dance "hall" this weekend to practice all our new moves...what a blast!  We actually stayed up til almost midnight like real adults :D  Perhaps we'll put a video on YouTube ::)  We're still pretty awful, but were so inspired by watching others who really knew what they were doing.  I highly recommend it to you guys! 

Keep walking, running, biking, jumping, stretching this week!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings