Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421117 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:51 am »
Jill, I wasn't too awfully motivated this morning until I read your post. I went just so there would not be an opportunity for you to yell at me!

Anyway, it turned out to be a good week. I went to the gym four times. The pain in my arm has diminished to a dull ache.

Jan, I hope you like your gym. My daughter, also 14, would like to be trained on the machines at the Y. We will probably do that after bb season ends.

Lori, sorry to hear about the blood work. We will all be your vicarious workout buddies.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

texsooner

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
Sergeant Jill, just read your post....you're good. Don't know if it will help my bike training, but I just dropped and did 50 like you demanded. Just want you to know that even though it's supposed to be 40 degrees and windy tomorrow morning, I'm getting out on the bike to fight through for 30 to 40 miles.

Keri, you better get out there too.....we can't let down Sergeant Jill.

Congrats Jan on joining the health club....go test out some of the machines this weekend.

Lori, sorry to hear about the blood work, but good job on going to the Y....keep it up.

Sara, great job again on the workouts....Sergeant Jill won't be yelling at you

Sorry about you northeasterners and all the snow....guess you guys will have to run up and down your stairs or do some indoor jumping jacks.

Be active and safe everyone.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lori67

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »
I found a cool new reason to go to the Y!  Well, aside from the exercise thing...

They have the coolest bike I've ever seen.  Don't know what it's called but it's like a video game!  It looks like a regular stationary bike, but it has a shifter thing and a screen and the handlebars move.  You choose a "ride" to do - a mountainside, an evening ride, a park, etc...I chose a seaside ride, of course.  So your view of the screen is just over your handlebars and you have to steer around other people and make the turns and when the course goes up a hill, the resistance changes.  You have to stay a certain distance behind the pace rider and you can change gears on the bike.  Ok, this has probably been around for a while and I just haven't seen it, but I thought it was fun and much more exciting than just staring at the wall or the sweaty guy next to you.  Now they just need to put a fan nearby so it feels like you're actually moving.

I'm easily entertained...can you tell?  Also managed 3 miles on the treadmill and a mile on the elliptical, which for some reason felt like 100 miles.

Time to go take some Advil....
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

texsooner

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »
Lori, I've never seen a bike like that either. I know what you mean about regular stationary bikes....I get bored quickly on those, but that one you have at your Y sounds really cool. I only go to my company's gym, so maybe they have those bikes in other places...I'm going to have to check it out somewhere.

Great job on your workout...really impressive. Don't overdo it....make sure that you want to go back on a regular basis.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2010, 09:14:16 pm »
I have heard of those biikes, but have never seen one. Our bikes overlook the swimming pool so the view is usually a water aerobics class. Of course there are TVs, but I usually read. I'm glad you enjoyed your ride, Lori, that is the best way to keep you going back.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jill Marie

« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »
First off, you must remember that DRILL INSTRUCTORS are like parents: DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!!  Very busy day at work, guy on vacation, end of month accounts to do and lots of customers, didn't eat lunch tell 2:00 then just had time to eat some of it.  That was excuse #1 for not going to the gym.  After work I went to Costco for some supplies and to gas up my truck, then headed to the car wash, it closed 5 minutes before I got there so I had to do the do-it-yourself truck wash(good exercise I told myself) #2 reason for not going to the gym, then off to the store for a 1 day seafood sale (seafood is good for you, don't have to workout as much if you eat it) by then it was 6:00 p.m. time to go home and fix dinner not enough time to work out or we will be eating to late which is not good for you, that was excuse #3 for not working out.  

Jan - glad to hear you joined a club, there's something about paying for something and not using it that gets to a lot of us, therefore you will workout. I've been doing it for years but still have issues with the fact that I pay to sweat, get athlete's foot & use time there that I could use to do something I really enjoy doing.  My son helped me with the weights, I did a lot of biking, stair climbing, etc. and lost some weight but then hit a plateau, when my son showed me how to use the weights and told me why I should use them I started loosing weight again and felt better all over as I wasn't using my arms and upper body enough before that.  Having your son show you around the gym will be as good for him as for you.

Lori - good to hear that you went to the Y, as for the heart issues, I'm hoping that you are in the very, very early stages of heart disease and your working out keeps things in check.  I think that doctors these days are a lot better with the prevention side of medicine so hopefully the test is just a warning sign of want can happen not will happen as long as you take care of yourself

Sara - thanks for not joining the ranks with Pat & Keri, I'm not sure I have it in me to yell at more than 2 people at a time,  I'm glad that I was able to get you up and going, doesn't seem that it has worked for Pat or Keri yet!  Glad your arm is feeling better, haven't thought about getting a tetanus shot in years, did your doctor recommend it?  I'm actually allergic to tetanus shots so I only get one if I really need to.

Lori -  I haven't seen the bike you mentioned either, sounds like it would be fun.  I ride the bike so I can read the paper at the same time otherwise I couldn't possibly ride so long.  I keep the good news section of the paper year around so I can read it at the gym, the time goes faster that way

Keri - WHERE IS MY REPORT ON YOUR RUN?  I'm going to assume you are out running now and that is why you haven't checked in, much better to be running then SITTING AROUND & POSTING ON THE COMPUTER!!  

Pat - Good job on the 50 push ups, yes, they will help your biking riding because you are building upper body strength and that will help you fight the wind on your ride tomorrow.  NOW GET OUT THERE AND RIDE, I DON'T WANT TO HERE ABOUT WHAT YOU PLAN ON DOING, I WANT TO READ ABOUT WHAT YOU DID!  

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

texsooner

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2010, 01:02:46 pm »
Sarge Jill,

Reporting in here with a 35 mile bike ride this morning. It was chilly, but had 4 layers on to help. I know you don't like to hear what I "plan" to do, but I will drop and do another 50 later today, then plan to run 8 to 10 miles tomorrow. Thanks.

Patrick

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2010, 12:37:02 pm »
just read tis whole thead and got tired ...

since AN surgery I have become a slug ...somedays a fast slug but still a slug ...

I had pneumonia a few weeks ago ... when got over the worst took up walking at school in the mornings.. the first gym class is at 8:45 so me a few others have banded together to walk from 7:30 until class comes in ... and on lucky days when kids go outside we can walk til we drop if we want to ...after walking Friday went to see doctor becasue even though it didn't feel like asthma wheeze I was wheezing and chest felt tight... my neck hurt and had some facial numbness along jawline and up AN side of face ... just felt off ... after some ultrasounds and xrays I was told I have Pericarditis , fluid around heart ... not sure if brought on by pneumonia , lupus or something else ... on fluid pills to pull off fluid and told to not stop moving but not over do ... and take BP often ... so now in holding pattern waiting to see if fluid resolves or if it is going to be something bigger

I still can't run... it makes me drunk and brings on headaches ... but I walk fast ...leave walking buddies on the dust ... I have found once I got up and walking after surgery without bumping too much that the fast I walk the more stable the walk is ... less wobble to it ...

my 12 year old has been in physical therapy with her legs ... due to nail petella syndrome her knee caps is malformed and has decided to life on the side of her leg instead of front ... insurance only approved 8 visits... instead of her being in PT  from January til she goes back to Vanderbilt in April... at a Lillies and Lace ( seminar for girls and women focusing on health and socilal issues such as sexual harrassment and bullying ) event last week I got information on Curves ... can get a free 10 day member ship and then only $40 a month for me and both girls if we decide to stay ... gonna check it out and see if they can work her out on same type machines as PT was using ... we are still doing home workouts and she has a Wii Fit plus routine that they designed for her at PT... hoping that they have what she needs and that will be my motovation to get to them and get moving more ... but now have to wait on clearance from doctor beore I do anything other than normal movement around house ...I have enough cleaning and stuff to get a work out ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »
had to continue here ...last few lines I typed had the page jumping around ... :-\

I have been on prednisone for lupus symtoms and will do another round for heart symptoms along with the fluid pill and Motrin

meanwhile continue to plan on walking in a 5K Relay for Life  walk/run at end of Marach and walking all nigt the night of our relay event last year log 5 miles , so have to beat that ...will bestaying all night instead of just a few hours this time ...as soon as doc gives go ahead I will start back my walking at school ...I was managing to do about 25 laps with a water break here and there before wearing out ...sometimes more ...when having a wonky head pirate day 10 or so was what I could manage ...need to measure the walk around gym floor and see how faar we are walking as far as miles go

since AN surgery I have gained abotu 25 pounds ... I lost 17 and after a couple rounds of steroids gained 13 back ... feel like I am fighting a losing battle as far as weight goes but figure that even if I don't drop the weight moving more is good for me

thanks for all your incouraging sotries ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:50 pm »
Patrick - GOOD JOB on the 35 mile bike ride, posting what you plan to do after you post a successful mission is allowed and encouraged!

Soundy, I'm amazed that you are getting any exercise at all considering the medical issues you have right now, keep up the good work, hopefully the doctor gives you the ok to continue walking with your coworkers. 

We spent most of the weekend dealing with computer problems so there weren't any walks or bike rides, which is a shame since we had temps in the 50's, pretty good for the end of February. 

Hope you all have a great week, Spring is just around the corner so we can get out and do more of the things we love to do.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
Didn't do anything over the weekend other than sit on hard bleachers watching middle school girls get their exercise.

But this morning I decided to add a plate at every weight machine and also ten minutes and a level of resistance to my cardio. It is so easy to get complacent and just keep doing the same thing over and over.

Soundy, keep up the good work, and I know it is work. You sure seem to have the right attitude.

Jill, my doctor told me I was due for the tetanus shot at my last well check. I have one every ten years and do not remember it ever hurting like that. But maybe my memory faded over the intervening decade.

Take care this week, everyone.

Sara
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:03:09 pm by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2010, 08:02:37 am »
Sick child = no gym today. Will have to get out Wii Fit later.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2010, 09:30:40 am »
trainee jacobs reporting, SIR. i did my 14 miles on saturday, SIR !!
oops, i mean MA'AM. my son got in trouble his first week of basic training for calling his TI a SIR when she was a MA'AM.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:17 am »
Back from the cold NORTH and ready to start working out - when I can find the time.  Since this is the 1st week of the month, I have meetings of some kind almost every day!  The style show that has fallen to me (not in original plan) is Saturday so hopefully next week will be better.  I did ski on Saturday and did lots of POLING and worked up a sweat!  I thought that I wouldn't be able to walk on Sunday but took a jacuzzi Saturday night and Sunday morning and surprisingly, I feel pretty good!  For a girl that still has significant balance problems, a stroke and not having skied but 2 days in 15 years - I think I did OK.  I didn't fall WHILE skiing, just 2 times when I was standing COMPLETELY STILL, I just kind of lost my balance and tipped over!  LOL!!

Running to meeting...
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:14 am »
Great job, Kay!!
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09