Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420881 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »
Well, my PLAN was to go to the gym this morning, but it is snowing like crazy out and it gets really treacherous driving up here in the mountains so digging in and staying home.  I promise to go get on my pilates machine for 20 minutes!! Cross my heart!

Been out of the gym for 2 weeks due to painful back issues--had an MRI of it last week and they didn't find anything but a few degenerating discs. Dang! I always knew I was a degenerate, but it was never painful before, just fun!!

Keep going girls and guys--we will have to have a bikini contest at the next symposium!!  Guys, get out your Speedos!!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Keri

« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »
Capt Deb - may your degerneration turn back into fun! I empathize with you on the disc stuff - my husband has a herniated disc and has been in PT. The guy lives to/loves to run (while I have to make myself) and he can't right now (except on a treadmill). I hope you're both better soon. I think I'll skip the bikini contest!

Kay - your trip sounded great! I love to ski, but haven't in years and I'm not very good.

OK, it's 4:55 and i need to go run before it gets dark. then clean the house and cook dinner. but i will run first. this exercise thread thing is really helping me because i dont' want to get YELLED AT !! haha. off i go.

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »
Survived yoga again yesterday!  My legs feel like jello today, but it's good!  Got plenty of exercise working at the school library today - phew, those little kids are bundles of energy!  Who knew a library could provide such a work out!  I also ran into the man who is in charge of the upcoming 5K for the school, so I may be strong-armed into participating in that.  I knew I should have faked deafness when he called me!   :D

Hoping to get to the Y tomorrow, weather permitting.  They're calling for rain/snow mix, which will probably mean the city will be shut down for a few days.  I'll get my exercise climbing the walls!!!!

Good job everyone.  Captain Deb, the Speedo competition may make me wish I was blind also!!!    :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2010, 10:08:38 pm »
Health club this evening.  Have to get my money's worth  ;)

Man, am I old - and sore  ::)  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2010, 08:28:43 am »
Checking in with a 10 mile run on Sunday and another 3 miles yesterday.

Exercise for me will be spotty for the next 10 days or so as I'm going on an international business trip (way east of here). I will take workout clothes in hopes of catching a couple of hotel gym workouts.

I'll be checking in on all of you....everybody keep up the good work. Be active and safe.

Patrick 
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »
Patrick -

you are SO good at this whole exercise thing - and I just caught on the AN Calendar that you're younger than me  ::)

Guess I need to get myself in shape and stop whining about my age, huh??  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »
just eating Oreos and reading this thread...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2010, 11:31:40 pm »
just eating Oreos and reading this thread...

Brave girl. Better duck if JILL comes around...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jill Marie

« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2010, 11:51:41 pm »
Looks like this thread is really working, I don't have anyone to yell at today!

Sara - I know what you mean about adding weight to your workout and not just doing the same old thing, I just wish that the plates came in smaller increments so I could move up easier, I'd prefer an extra 5 pounds over the 10 or 15 pounds most of the plates increase.  As for the tetanus shot, it just hit me, they probably don't ask me to get one since it's in my records that I'm allergic to them, duh, guess I will get one if I have to and deal with it then.  I wouldn't know if they usually hurt as my arm goes numb and swells up when they give me one. 

Trainee Jacobs - Good to hear you got out for a great 14 mile run, I'm PROUD of you!  The Sir thing is fine with me, sounds respectful where as the Ma'am title makes me feel old. 

Kaybo - Congrats on the skiing, can't believe you even tried it let alone succeeded after all you have been through.  I went skiing with my son and husband about 8 years ago and crashed and burned, first and last time on skis.  I respect your honesty, "just eating Oreo's and reading the thread", now drop and give me 20 push ups or 5 for every Oreo you ate.  Was thinking about munching on a bag of popcorn, now I know I WILL, back in a couple of minutes.  Ok, I'm back, one of the great things about posting versus talking in person is that I can type and eat popcorn a lot better than I can talk and eat popcorn at the same time. Don't forget, I'm like a parent, I don't have to do what I tell others to do, so no push ups for me, besides I would probably slip and hurt myself because of the butter on my hands from the popcorn.   Kaybo, next time you go skiing just keep on moving then you won't fall over, no rest for you!

Captain Deb - Waiting to here that you did the 20 minutes of exercise, crossing your heart is good but I have to read that you really did it, don't make me yell! 

Lori - Yep, exercise comes in all fashions kids and dogs can really keep you going, the exercise you got is great because you were multitasking while doing it and didn't even realize you were getting exercise at the time.  It was so nice Monday that I decided to go home and get the dogs and take them for a walk, they ended up taking me for a walk, I could barely keep up.  We walked to the bus to meet my husband, he rides his bike to the bus stop then takes the bus to work.  He's training for the Bike to Work week in May.  The next day I was going to go to the club but I got a really bad headache at work because everyone left early so I had to do a lot of extra work, anyway, I decided to take the dogs for a walk instead.  I went to the club today because I have the beginning of shin splints from walking to much. 

Jan- Glad to hear your not letting the club make money off you.

Pat - Good to her from you, was beginning to wonder if the push ups were to much for you!  Hope you enjoy the business trip and of course hope you get a chance to work out, I know you really want to keep in shape.  My son is in the Army and he has shown me how important it is to keep up the workout.  We promise to keep working out while you are gone, especially since you will be checking up on us!

Saw this on a sign today - Clones are people two

Drill Instructor Jill

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:50 am »
Saw this on a sign today - Clones are people two

LOL  :D

Hey, Kay, share those cookies!!!  ;)

Push ups??  UGH!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2010, 10:01:01 am »
Jill, my doctor gave me a tip for increasing on machines with only large plates. Do two or three reps at the higher weight, then decrease to the former weight to finish the set. Each day increase the number of reps at the new weight until you are doing them all.

Today I did cardio first (a full 60 minutes since I missed Tuesday), then increased by 5 pounds on upper body machines. I'm tired.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2010, 01:09:41 pm »
Everyone is doing so great!  I've been a bit out of pocket...after a very rough month or so with my father n law in and out of hospital, rehab and finally 12 days of hospice, he passed away last week and the funeral was this week.  Did manage to still get in two short jog/walk sessions with my training buddies, but need to get very serious next week.  As usual, I'm impressed and inspired by all of you here.  So, I'm completely motivated for next week. 

I'm looking for a new activity, though.  In additon to our 1/2 marathon training, I have been going to Curves, but think I need a change from that.  Lori, I see you're doing Yoga...I might have to give that a try.  I still want to do some horseback riding, but not sure if one, I can stay on a horse, and two, if it's really enough exercise???   Brad & I are still doing our dancing lessons, but we laugh more than we dance, so don't know how much good it's doing ;D

Spring is on the way, or so they promise, then we'll all be able to really get out and have some fun!

Cindy (off to eat some brownies after seeing that Kay was eating Oreo's)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:41 pm »
I'm such a good influence!!  Just had a sweet creme crepe with brandied cherries for my b-day dessert!  :o)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
Very nice gym here in Dubai at my very nice hotel, so had no excuse not to workout. Did 20 km on the exercise bike, then 4 km run on the treadmill....sounds more impressive using the kms, but that's what the machines read out. Now I'm going guilt free to the breakfast buffet!

I'm watching you guys.

Kaybo...we'll give you a break on the oreos, since I read in another thread it's your birthday.

Jan...yeah right...i'm younger than you ;)

Everybody get going and be safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2010, 11:25:23 pm »
Cindy... I'm so sorry about your father in law. When we go through difficult times, it helps to keep running or whatever, but time does seem short.   I liked your comment about the exercse of dancing and laughing.

Patrick - good for you. Maybe you could run the steps of one of those tall sky scrapers...

Kay, yep it's your birthday. You get to eat what you want. But i was going to go to bed and now I want an Oreo and milk first!

And Steve has appeared.... OK Steve, how many miles for you tomorrow?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!