Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418794 times)

lori67

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 01:06:48 pm »
TAKE IT EASY ON THAT ANKLE!  Sprained ankles heal at their own slow pace (kinda like something else...can't remember what... :D).  I've seen (and had) ankle sprains that took longer to heal than an ankle fracture.  Don't make me come down there and yell at you - that would definitely be longer than a 5K....ugh... I'm tired just thinking about it.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:13 am »
i forgot to say... jan, walking 90 minutes is great! i'm sure your life will be busier during this season, but i hope you can still get some walks in because it'll make you feel better (haha, wish i'd listen to my own advice sometimes!)
i was glad to get my run in yesterday afternoon; left me time to actually cook dinner so we could eat before 8:30pm.
kay - i hope your sprain heals up quickly, completely too. i know it's hard to take it easy with kids.

i wish everyone time/determination/resolve/etc to get out there today too. rah rah rah. i'm trying to be a good cheerleader.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:16 pm »
The season doesn't really affect my workload - I work for a nursing association and our fiscal year ends in August. 

I managed to walk 90 minutes for 2 days straight, but that was on the weekend and when Monday came, my exercise "routine" (actually more like a non-routine) fell apart  :(

I really need to come up with a game plan like maybe getting up early and walking before work, but it's pretty darn cold here in the early mornings and my nice warm bed is hard to leave.  I've thought about walking in the evenings, but by the time I leave work, pick up my kids from their activities, and make dinner I have no inclination to talk a walk. 

But I absolutely do feel better when I walk.  I have to remember that and use it as my motivation.

Some of my colleagues swear by their elliptical machines.  Anyone who's had AN surgery own or use one?  And if so, is balance an issue for you?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 06:53:49 am »
Jan, you're too hard on yourself. You are doing great by starting out on the long weekend walks. You don't necessarily have to do something every single day. I'm lucky to be in a fairly warm climate that allows me to be more active (outside) in the winter than a lot of you folks up north. If you are able, sneak in a couple of walks/workouts during the week sometime, but keep up the weekend routine you've started. I'm a morning person, so I do some early morning (before work) runs during the week when I can, then do longer ones on the weekend.

As far as elliptical machines, I think they're fine. I get on one about once a week for something different...they are easy on knees and ankles. I know there are people that love them, but I like to get most of my activities outdoors. 

Great job Kay, Cindy, Annisa, Nancy and Keri on the workouts, yoga, runs and snowshoeing. Keep it up guys.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 07:02:30 am »
Thanks for the insight, Patrick.  I'm hoping that as the days become longer - it's already still light here at 5:15 p.m. - I'll be able to get outside and walk more. 

Good to know about the elliptical machine also.  I'm considering buying one of those, but may go with a recumbent stationery bike instead. 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 07:36:36 am »
Jan~
I used to do the Elliptical everyday (I too would like to be outdoors, but just not feasible here) and now I do the "Arch" trainer because it burns more calories - when I do it!  I didn't have any trouble with balance on the "E" - I fell off the Arc once but I think I was reaching for my water bottle or something & just lost my balance.  The only thing I would say is if you get a machine, make sure it has stationary bars also - not just the arms that move.

Could you ever walk at lunch?  I am with Patrick that you are too hard yourself, but just trying to help with ideas...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 07:50:30 am »
Thanks, Kay.  The elliptical sounds like something I should try and then purchase if I like it.  I'll remember to look for bars (no, Lori, not the kind you drink in  ::)  ;)  )

As for walking @ lunch time, I am the queen of good intentions  ;D

We are now "casual" at work (as in I can wear jeans - unless I have a meeting with people from the "outside") so I took my walking shoes, my jacket, my gloves, and my Steve hat to work on Monday.  Unfortunately, I ended up working through lunch yet again and never even put my shoes on  :P

But I'll get there!  I appreciate the encouragement.

How's your injury??

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 07:53:03 am »
Better...but not ready to run any races.  I ran basketball practice last night (as opposed to last Thursday where I sat on the bench) and moved all around - it didn't bother me but I still have to be sort of careful - I don't have a complete range of motion yet.  Thanks for asking!

Have a great day!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 07:53:55 am »
Glad it's healing.  Take it easy.  You don't want to re-injure it.

Have a great day yourself, Coach!  ;D

lori67

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 08:02:44 am »
Jan,

I used to use the elliptical (back when I went to the gym regularly...).  I liked it - it seemed more interesting to me than the treadmill and not as much like torture as a stairmaster.  Besides, I think I rack up a a few miles on the stairs around home on a daily basis.

Kay, all I can picture is you looking like George Jetson on the Arch machine.  "Jane, get me off this crazy thing!".   :D

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 08:10:48 am »
If I had to fall off any machine, that is NOT the one to do it.  There are actually signs that say to let it come to a COMPLETE stop before getting off because the "pedals" are flying and dangerous!  Mom was on one side and my friend on the other, but no one could do anything!  I had a couple of bruised shins for a few days... :o  Did I tell you when I tried to run on the Treadmill again last year after 14 of not?  Now that was a good story...

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:57 am »
I loved my treadmill, but lost it in the great basement flood of 2009  :'(

I have an exercise bike, but I like to read while riding and bending over is killing my back.  So I'm either going to get an elliptical or a recumbent bike.

One of the biggest questions about the elliptical is can I really do it?  Post op I was a runner mainly because I lack coordination - not the type to do acrobics because I can't get my arms and legs working in sync in the way acrobics requires  :D

I need something easy that will give me a good workout.

Jan

lori67

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 09:13:08 am »
Trust me, if I can do the elliptical, anyone can.  I am about the least graceful and coordinated person on the planet.  I can't do aerobics either because I'd hurt someone with my wildly flailing arms and legs.  Not pretty.  I actually took one day of ballet as a child before the teacher told my mom she didn't think ballet was my "thing".  And that was way before my AN messed with my balance.  Imagine how bad it is now?  But I have done the elliptical since my surgery and I didn't have any battle scars afterwards.  I just find it easier on my knees than the treadmill or the bike, but you shouldn't have a problem on a recumbent bike.

Do you think they make any that are recumbent enough for me to remain lying in bed while using it?   ???

Lori

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 09:47:02 am »
Jan, just from personal experience it is much easier to read on a recumbent bike than on an elliptical. But I feel that a workout is more productive on an elliptical, more muscles involved and higher heart rate. Be sure to get one with handles; that will help with any balance issues.

Is there a local YMCA where you can pay for a day membership and try out various machines? (I'd invite you to mine, you're welcome any time, but it would be a mighty long trip for you.)

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:30 am »
I personally would prefer the recumbent bike for one you can read but mainly any exercise I can do while sitting can not be all that bad...

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.