Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418883 times)

texsooner

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 08:19:03 pm »
Ok..I'm reporting in with a 41 mile bike ride earlier today. Last 20 miles were against the wind....kind of tough, but temp was nice around 70.

Lori, guess I'll give you a break since you did your taxes....that can be pretty exhausting.

Good job on the run Jean.

Nice going on the skiing Nancy.

And yes, Kay...all those activities do count for something....I'll give you a break too. Make sure that ankle is healed before doing too much.

Keri....how'd the long run go?

Patrick

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:23:17 pm by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 08:20:59 pm »
Ok, I'm also reluctantly joining this thread.  I wanted to do the Turkey Trot last year, 5k walk/run but I had my kidney stuff and now that that's taken care of I really have no excuse.  I used to love to run and I know I can figure out a way to do it again.  I am starting with Biggest Loser the Wii game to get moving and as soon as the weather cooperates I'm going to head to the track at the school.  I would love to do any kind of an organized walk/run, I need some of that kind of accomplishment in my life right now!  

Nancy, I love to hear about your lake and cross-country skiing.  I've tried it once, CC Skiing.  Its some hard work but so satisfying!

Keep up the good work everybody!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »
While I can't guarantee I'll make my goal of becoming a runner again, I have started to walk and I'm hopeful that will be what finally gets me motivated.  Clocked 90 minutes this evening.  The biggest challenge will be seeing if I actually continue - I usually just have good intentions  ::)

Speaking of good intentions - anyone doing a walk, run, etc., for charity please PM me the details.  I can't guarantee that I'll fund every one of them, but it's a New Year and I'm looking for tax deductions and my favorite form of deduction is charitable contributions.  So if you have a good cause, please don't hesitate to send me a link, info., etc.

Lori -

I have two words for you Turbo Tax.  I'm a degreed accountant, but not a tax accountant, and for years I did my personal returns by hand.  A colleague who's a lawyer told me about Turbo Tax about 5 years ago and now I can't live without it.  If you haven't already, check it out.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »
I am another Turbo Tax fan. The first year that my husband and I were married I did our taxes manually, as I had done successfully for all of my adult life to that point, but made an error that cost us additional taxes plus penalty. Ouch. The next year I bought what was then called MacinTax and have bought it every year since.

It now comes with five free electronic submissions. What a bargain.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 10:45:13 am »
Jan, I do use Turbo Tax and have for years.  It's the best thing since sliced bread for those of us who can't do math!

Today I'm hoping to get outside in the mild weather and take my lazy dogs for a nice long walk.  It should be a relaxing walk until one of them sees a squirrel or a cat and then I think I'll be finishing that 5K sooner than planned.

I will be so happy to get my Wii fit out of storage - I really had fun with that before we moved, but now, trying to figure out which box the movers put it in and where that box might be located in the storage unit would be more exercise than anyone needs.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 04:09:28 pm »
Yoga today.  Trying to figure out where I can get out and walk with my kids.  I live in the country and while we don't have much traffic what we do have flies by at 50+ mph.  If it was just me it would be fine but with little ones...  Am I making excuses or what??
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »
The only thing better than Turbo Tax is Turbo Tax Online. Nothing to buy or install, just do it all online, and give them an account number. The rest is magic.   8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 08:36:53 pm »
Interesting.  Nothing to buy or install?  How can that be?  They just let you use it for free?  That just doesn't sound right.

Please explain - and then we should stop hijacking this thread before Phyl cracks down on us  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »
I'm saying it here or I won't go...I'm going to yoga/pilates in the morning. It's mostly mat & I'll just do what I can w/ my ankle. It's better & I figure something is better than nothing!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »
Interesting.  Nothing to buy or install? 

I meant you don't need a CD or anything. You do need to give them a way to bill you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 06:38:20 am »
Snowshoed around the yard yesterday with the dog.
Each winter seems longer than the last.  Time to turn into a snowbird.
How's that furnace, Steve?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 06:40:56 am »
I'm saying it here or I won't go...I'm going to yoga/pilates in the morning. It's mostly mat & I'll just do what I can w/ my ankle. It's better & I figure something is better than nothing!

;D

Yes, even a little bit helps!  They say ("they" who ;) ) that even doing just 10 minutes of some type of physical activity can have great effect.  You've said you're going, Kaybo, so let us know that you did!  We're watching :D

Nancy, once again, I'm so jealous - you get to do and see the coolest things at your house! 

My friends & I did get our 10 mile training run/walk in this weekend...I would definitely have backed out of it, if it hadn't been a group thing - really helps SO much to have others to be accountable to!  It was not easy, but we were all very glad we did it once we were finished...

You guys keep letting us know what you plan to do for your fitness fun!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:58:10 am »
Thanks for the clarification, Steve.  Didn't think it was free - not much in life is  ;D

Jan

Keri

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »
yay for everyone saying what they want to try to do and then trying to do it. and giving/getting tax advice along the way... can't beat that!
i did my 15, rather painfully near the end. took me all afternoon!
i agree with whoever said to kay, take it easy a bit on the ankle, but proud of you for doing your yoga esp when i know you spend much of your life running around with kid stuff.
ok, i need to run before dark today. since i have a meeting at 2:00, i guess that means NOW.
thanks for the inspiration or else i'd be putting it off.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 12:55:15 pm »
I WENT TO THE GYM!!

I was able to do "most" of the class - I did take it easy...I was going to go try the cardio machines to see if I could do it but decided to wait.  At least I went - THANKS for giving me the inspiration to go!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!